1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tried to bomb it now it doesn't run

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to bomb it All I did was break it

I changed the governor spring last night. Took the pump top off did the swap. While I was in it I turned up the power screw about two turns. I got it all back together and it ran and idles fine. I took it out on a test run all was good until 3000 rpm in fourth. The truck died like I had turned it off. So I dragged it home. It spins over fine good compression. I cracked the injector line to bleed it. Some fuel came out but not a lot. I then took the pump top off. All looked fine inside. Next up I pulled the fuel solenoid. Tip is a little cracked up but not much. I tried the manual lever on the lift pump. It pumped fine.

Before you ask I have no fuel pressure gauge.

Any thoughts suggestions?

This is on my W350. Getrag. 1993
Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your connection on the fuel solenoid, even jump it directly to the batt. to be sure its working.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Yep I bet the wire came off the back of it.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Solenoid has power. I removed it and tested it. It shot the plunger out. Once re-installed it clicks when power is cycled to it. I just tried to bleed the injectors on it. Some fuel bleed out but not a lot. I went over to my running cummins and tried it. I cracked it's injectors loose and it sprays fuel all over much more than my one ton.

Here is the tip of the plunger.

Is it possible for the tensioning lever to pull out of the control collar when the pump is buttoned up?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Check the lever for the manual fuel pull. I had mine off a tooth and it screwed it up. I'm trying to remember if there is a way to put it on that has it partially engaged too. You kind of get into it when you take that top half of the pump apart. I think I accidentally pulled it off thinking I needed too....

I'm willing to bet this is the issue since you say the plunger is hooked up and good to go. Also, since it ran, now it doesnt. push on the lever so it is pushing towards the front of the truck (NOT the shut down position) and try to crank it again....
Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Check the lever for the manual fuel pull. I had mine off a tooth and it screwed it up. I'm trying to remember if there is a way to put it on that has it partially engaged too. You kind of get into it when you take that top half of the pump apart. I think I accidentally pulled it off thinking I needed too....
I never took the manual shutdown apart. it seems to move and function normally

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I'm willing to bet this is the issue since you say the plunger is hooked up and good to go. Also, since it ran, now it doesnt. push on the lever so it is pushing towards the front of the truck (NOT the shut down position) and try to crank it again....
I took it apart again. This time I removed the plunger from the shutdown solenoid.

I checked where the lever connects to the control collar it moves freely and is connected.

I buttoned it all up and still nothing.

I had the injector nuts loose and very little fuel comes out of the lines. Two of them had no fuel at all.

Now i am wondering if a piece of debris has lodged in the distributor plunger and is interrupting the flow.

Looks like I will need to pull the pump.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Index?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Subliminal
Index?
That's what I was thinking. Seems like it is a common mistake when doing the gov spring.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 92betsy
That's what I was thinking. Seems like it is a common mistake when doing the gov spring.
Can the throttle index change while it's running? I had it working for about 15 miles.

It did quit right at the time I first took it to wfo. Maybe I didn't have the throttle lever bolt tight enough.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Was the range of throttle working correctly while it was running? I mean was half pedal half throttle? I ask because if you tightened the fuel screw while the pump top was off it can be really tough to get the pump top back on without hanging up or jamming the afc lever.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
Was the range of throttle working correctly while it was running? I mean was half pedal half throttle? I ask because if you tightened the fuel screw while the pump top was off it can be really tough to get the pump top back on without hanging up or jamming the afc lever.
The throttle worked properly.

I just talked to a mechanic I know who is familliar with these trucks. Told me to pull the pump and get it looked at.

Time to check the sticky.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Soooo, what's that item called that can be broken if the fuel screw isn't taken out? I'm no expert on the internals of this pump, but it's the first thing to came to my mind when he mentioned turning the screw in before reassembly.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you pulled the top off again? i'd pull that and double tripple check everything....
Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
dont pull it off yet, i had the same situation, all i did was remove the injector lines from the back of the pump and each one of those fuel line connectors (6) can unscrew from the pump, but be careful there is a spring behind each one, and in side is a very small plunger, i had rubber stuck in those and it gave the same sensation. i did not pull the pump to do this.