1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Transmission Stop leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Stop leak ??

Hey ya'll I was wondering if any of you have any experience in using a stop leak product of any sort in the GetRag tranny? Ive been told they are imfamous for leaking, that they caught a bad rep for bein a bad trans because they leak, people run em outta oil then "BANG". Im going to drop the old oil whatever the previous owner might have run scince im tryin to get all the services done seing as i just bought the truck. Im going to drop 90 weight gear oil in it thanks to the reccomendation of a local very reputable transmission guy and many folks on here. Just wondering if any of you have had any luck with any stop leak products?. I was also curious, is a Pyro gauge the same as an EGT gauge? Thanks fellas. Im not too familiar with after market gauges.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM
alwaysonDTR

pyro and egt are the same.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
I can't imagine stop leak patching a hole 90W will flow through but I could be wrong. Most overfill by a quart to be safe too.

Yes, a pyrometer measures the Exhaust Gas Temperatures.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropping 90 weight in a getrag is a bad idea. They lube the bearings and gears by the "splash" method( a gear is half-in half out of the oil resiorvour and throws oil onto the bearings and gears), and 90 weight is simply to thick to allow for proper lubrication. The manufactorer recommends a 30W motor oil.
Drain whatever is in it and refill it with the proper oil, then overfill it by a quart and a half.
If you search in this thread for "overfilling getrag" you'll find countless threads where this has been discussed and several ideas on the easiest way to do it, as well as ideas for fabricating sight glasses and dipsticks for monitoring the fluid level..
Old 04-19-2008, 06:32 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Oh yeah, good catch man - don't know what I was thinkin there. Many full time Dodge transfercases were trashed due to running 90W instead of 30 for similar reasons.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:02 PM

Most stop leak products are snake oil. Save your money and fix any leaks you find correctly.

If your reputable transmission guy recommended that heavy gear oil he doesn't know what he is talking about on this particular transmission, someone will correct me if I am wrong, I don't think I am... You will be needing a rebuild if you use it for anything at all with that oil in it.

Originally Posted by 92GhostRyder
Hey ya'll I was wondering if any of you have any experience in using a stop leak product of any sort in the GetRag tranny? Ive been told they are imfamous for leaking, that they caught a bad rep for bein a bad trans because they leak, people run em outta oil then "BANG". Im going to drop the old oil whatever the previous owner might have run scince im tryin to get all the services done seing as i just bought the truck. Im going to drop 90 weight gear oil in it thanks to the reccomendation of a local very reputable transmission guy and many folks on here. Just wondering if any of you have had any luck with any stop leak products?. I was also curious, is a Pyro gauge the same as an EGT gauge? Thanks fellas. Im not too familiar with after market gauges.