1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Auto Guys: Where do you mount your AT cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Guys: Where do you mount your AT cooler?

Since it's been so hot lately, I realized it's time to get off my behind and plumb in a Tranny Cooler. I usually install them in front of the radiator. However, my W250 has AC and I don't like the idea of having a tranny cooler and the AC unit in front of the radiator.

I usually buy the biggest cooler available (motorhome) but now I'm wondering if I should buy two smaller ones and stack them somewhere under the body.

Also, if I was to purchase a Mag-Hytec DD tranny oil pan instead would this solve my cooling concerns?

Cheers,
Joe V
Old 08-16-2003, 01:31 AM

Re:Auto Guys: Where do you mount your AT cooler?

I bought my truck with one and it is on the drivers side behind the cab. It has an fan on it that turns on when the tranny gets hot. You can hear it going down the road with the windows and so far I have only had it on three times. I would think it would get a lot of mud in it but it does not and works really well.
DM01
Old 08-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check this thing out, it's kind of like the factory setup DM01 is talking about. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=BMM%2D70297
Old 08-16-2003, 05:28 PM

I recently replaced my under bed cooler with one from Summit Racing. It was a Perma-Cool unit, summit #: prm-12311. I had to adapt the new cooler to where the old on was. Used 2 pieces of 2" flat x 1/4" thick. Also get some 3/8" to 1/2" hose barbs.

I ran new 1/2" transmission hose during the hookup of new cooler. I also used constant pressure clamps that I ordered from McMaster Carr, regular hose clamps have a tendency to loosen up the older the hose gets. Loose clamps equal leaks.

Cooler has fan and I run the fan off a switch and relay. No thermal switch. My cooler is plumed a little different than the coolers originally installed as an option on these truck when new. Straight to the under bed cooler out of the TC and then out to the cooler in the front by the radiator then it loops around back to cooler on the passenger side of engine then back to tranny.

Runs fairly cool, I have never seen the temperature exceed 180F even when hauling my cab over camper here in the desert southwest at 110F. Camper weight is 2600 + pounds.

This is the way I ran my lines, it was the easiest, but to each his own.

Jim
Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Jim-
I like your plumbing method, it prevents overcooled fluid in the winter.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 PM

Yes, this is the setup I'm planning on installing, I could see where a under the bed location might be. I'll probably set it up under the bed on the drivers side close to the cab.

Cheers,
Joe V