1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tightening transmission bands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tightening transmission bands?

I posted earlier about my tranny problems. The diesel shop stopped out at my house and refunded me ALL of the labor money and 1/2 of the parts money!!! I was very surprised.

Anyways they said all i need to do is tighten my bands and that I could take it somewhere else and get it done if i wanted. Well I want to do it myself. Is there anybody on here that could tell me how to tighten them or have a picture of how to tighten them, or some sort of instructions.

Right now my tranny goes into gear, but it takes a little on the pedal then it kicks right into gear fine and it goes from there, it does it in all gears. R, 1,2,D. I just have to push the pedal, it rev's up a little bit then kicks into gear and drives fine from then on. So they said that is my bands. Does that sound correct to anyone?

If anyone has any advice let me know please

Thanks, Dean.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dean

I can get the information out of my tech manual and let you know how to do this. I've done 727s but that was a bunch of years ago. If memory serves me there's one on the outside of the tranny and one inside - drop the pan type inside. You back off a lock nut then torque to a preset torque value then back off a set number of turns then re-tighten the lock nut. I'm sure someone will jump in here but if not I will look up the info and post on Wed.

Bob
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM

I can look it up tomorrow at school too...but if memory serves me correct you back the lock nut off torque the bolt to 72 inch pounds on both of them and then back them off 2 1\2 turns on the front band which is the one on the left side on the out side of the trans and is by the tv lever. and 4 on the rear band which is inside so you have to drop the pan. but if bob doesn't get back to you i can look it up tomorrow also.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Well if possible it would be awesome if someone could get the Specs for me. And even possibly a picture if could be?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Where would i find these bolts or nuts or whatever it is to tighten the bands at on the tranny? Does anyone have a picture or a FSM picture. I'm tranny stupid
Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

a write-up of adjusting the bands with pics would be a great nominee for the stickey.....hint hint...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Dean

Having trouble scanning the info you need into my computer. I've got 2 pages with location drawings out of my tech manual. If you've got a fax# I can send to PM me with it and I will fax the info you need. I will be in and out all day today and will keep checking.

Bob
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Snow
I posted earlier about my tranny problems. The diesel shop stopped out at my house and refunded me ALL of the labor money and 1/2 of the parts money!!! I was very surprised.
At least they did something for you, thats better than some shops would do. I had a bad experience with a shop with one of my transmissions. Over 2 years after the initial rebuild they gave me all the parts I needed including a billet input shaft.

Right now my tranny goes into gear, but it takes a little on the pedal then it kicks right into gear fine and it goes from there, it does it in all gears. R, 1,2,D. I just have to push the pedal, it rev's up a little bit then kicks into gear and drives fine from then on. So they said that is my bands. Does that sound correct to anyone?

If anyone has any advice let me know please

Thanks, Dean.
You have some serious problems going on it there. It sounds more like a pressure problem to me. I had similar problems with one and it turned out to be a bad trans pump. I'm going to ask you again, do you have anyway of reading pressure off some of the transmission ports?

I seriously recommend you read tom hand's write up on the 727, its the same principles for the A518 only it doesn't cover overdrive. Make note of when the bands are applied and what clutches are applied and when.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-tom-hand.html
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Beauchaine
Dean

Having trouble scanning the info you need into my computer. I've got 2 pages with location drawings out of my tech manual. If you've got a fax# I can send to PM me with it and I will fax the info you need. I will be in and out all day today and will keep checking.

Bob
I have a fax machine. I just don't have it hooked up. When i get it set up and ready I will PM you. Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
So they said that is my bands. Does that sound correct to anyone?
No, they are smoking crack. The front band is only used in 2nd gear and the rear band is only used in Low (not 1st gear) and Reverse.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can give you the info from the book:
Front band, tighten adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs.
Back off adjusting screw 2 turns
While holding adjusting screw, torque locking nut to 35 ft. lbs.

Rear band, tighten adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs.
Back off 2 turns
While holding adjusting screw, torque locking nut to 35 ft. lbs
I have doubt adjusting the bands will solved the problem. The posting earlier about checking the pressures is on the right approach. I can send you an email with a picture of the pressure points and their pressures.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure you use a INCH per pound torque wrench, not the normal FOOT per pound. Even if you think converted down to about 6 ft per pounds, you are taking a chance.

I got my INCH per pound wrench at sears for $75 or so. Well worth it as doing the Bands is simple and fast with the proper equipment.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
No, they are smoking crack. The front band is only used in 2nd gear and the rear band is only used in Low (not 1st gear) and Reverse.
Thanks Wanna. I didn't know that. What do you think it would be in there causing these problems? Like others say they think it could be pressure problems?

Would a slipping Torque Converter do this? Or a bad valve body at that? Or is there so many options that i should just take it and have it checked out?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Mike (JD730). If you want to fix it yourself the learning curve is pretty steep, but if you have the time and a place to do it you can learn about automatic transmissions and figure it out. If you don't have a heated shop and a month to spend in it, take it to a pro.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JD730

I'm going to ask you again, do you have anyway of reading pressure off some of the transmission ports?

Sorry i didnt see you asked about the pressure. I can always hook up my old oil pressure gauge laying around here if that would work? It reads from 0psi-300psi?

Quick Reply: Tightening transmission bands?