1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Throttle linkage springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle linkage springs

Is there a schematic anywhere that shows me all the springs for the throttle linkage? I just noticed through another members posting that I'm missing some springs on my linkage. Can anyone direct me to a page that has these all listed. I guess thats why its a labor to keep the pedal down.

thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Theres got to be someone out there with this info....? Point me in a direction?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM

I have a long spring that keeps the throttle up agtainst the idle screw, I will take a picture and post.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
What year truck do you have?

This is what I have on mine.

The only springs I see are the ones in the Bellcrank assy and of course the return spring under the throttle shaft.

The small spring on the side of the pump is for the Kick Down lever.
Jim

Name:  IMG_8820.jpg
Views: 5830
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8818-1.jpg
Views: 7677
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  DSC05809.jpg
Views: 5141
Size:  62.9 KB
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM

I have and 89. The one and only spring that I have is not even in your pics. It probably in the wrong place. My spring, is attached to where yours is(center)but it attaches towards the front of the truck. To a bracket. Where you small spring is, I don't have that.

Where can I find part numbers with a schematic. So I can order what I need.

My gas pedal pressure to keep it down cruising is way too much. My foot gets numb holding it down. So I know its missing something.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Every stock 1st Gen. Cummins I have ever seen has two (one inside another) springs hooked into a bracket behind the timing-cover and connected to the throttle, such that the springs pull the lever toward the front of the truck.

I do not see those springs in Jim's pictures.

An automatic will have a few more springs that hold the various gizmos that have to do with the automatic.

More springs are not going to make the pedal easier to hold; it would be more like the opposite.

There is also a throttle-spring around the throttle-lever that rests against a pin.

These pins are notorious for wearing in two and letting the spring loose.

To understand what I am meaning, one must see both a good one, and a worn-out one, in order to see the difference.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Every stock 1st Gen. Cummins I have ever seen has two (one inside another) springs hooked into a bracket behind the timing-cover and connected to the throttle, such that the springs pull the lever toward the front of the truck.

I do not see those springs in Jim's pictures.

An automatic will have a few more springs that hold the various gizmos that have to do with the automatic.

More springs are not going to make the pedal easier to hold; it would be more like the opposite.

There is also a throttle-spring around the throttle-lever that rests against a pin.

These pins are notorious for wearing in two and letting the spring loose.

To understand what I am meaning, one must see both a good one, and a worn-out one, in order to see the difference.
Are you referring to the Breakover Spring or the throttle return spring?

With all of the linkages disconnected and the engine idling, the pump stays at the idle stop by itself.

Also there is a spring in the bellcrank assembly that returns it to its rest position so if everything was loose and not binding then I would think it would probably run like mine with no external springs.

I have never taken anything off the pump lever and mind returns to an idle as soon as I am off the throttle, I am not saying mine is right because there were probably many variations from the factory or maybe the previous owner had it at the dealer “Frahm Dodge” for some work and they forgot to reinstall it.

The only reason there might be an external helper spring is maybe for redundancy incase the throttle return spring malfunctioned because I believe these pumps start WOT, I know the Detroit’s do.

I am sure Dave or another pump expert would know.
Jim
Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 AM

i spoke with my local dodge dealer. He has got the schematic on "micro fesh". I'm planning on going today. Hopefully he can order what I need.

But BK mentioned something I was afraid of. I'm doing this research to try and alleviate some of the pressure required to push the gas pedal down. Too much to keep truck at speed limit. I think its the heavy(~18 guage wire coilded up) thats rolled up the diameter of quarter(sorry, don't know the part numbers names)thats really putting the pressure. Whats that called?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jj3500
But BK mentioned something I was afraid of. I'm doing this research to try and alleviate some of the pressure required to push the gas pedal down. Too much to keep truck at speed limit. I think its the heavy(~18 guage wire coilded up) thats rolled up the diameter of quarter(sorry, don't know the part numbers names)thats really putting the pressure. Whats that called?

from your "description", I think you are referring to the break-over spring that resides under the throttle-lever; that is the one that eats it's way through the pin.

There are also two throttle-return springs inside the pump-head that keep pressure on the actual throttle/governor itself.

As for these pumps going to "full-throttle" when cranking, unless it happens somehow with the governor mechanism, I can't see it being mechanically possible.

I think they crank at whatever idle setting the pump is at.

Which is it ??

As for it being hard to hold the throttle down, are you used to driving trucks ??

Is your throttle any harder to push than those on all the other trucks you have driven ??

There are seven sitting in the yard right now, and I don't notice any one of them being hard to throttle at all.

I have, though, had to drive a few different vehicles that, for some reason or other, felt like someone got the hood-spring mixed up with the throttle-spring.

Take your cable entirely out and soak the whole thing in a pan of hot oil, working it back and forth during the process; don't burn the house down.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Are you referring to the Breakover Spring or the throttle return spring?

Jim

You're right, there are two springs under there.

I was referring to the break-over spring as being the one that eats through the pin.

The break-over spring acts as a shock-absorber to protect the delicate throttle mechanism from jerks from the accelerator-cable.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Some of the non-intercooled pumps don't have a built-in throttle return spring. Those need a return spring for obvious reasons.

No need to involve the dealer, the spring assortment at the local hardware store will do fine. Just get springs that fit OK and feel OK to your foot. Tension is not critical as long as the throttle returns and the TV cable gets pulled out. Don't make this too complicated.