1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

CB_Parker/grinding throttle linkage grinding and gas pedal bending

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CB_Parker/grinding throttle linkage grinding and gas pedal bending

Saw your post on TDR about grinding the throttle linkage but I couldn't respond there as I'm not a member.

When I installed my gov spring I found that I needed to grind down my stops on the throttle linkage to get full travel of throttle. Once the high idle screw was backed out my throttle travel was limited by the stop on the bracket. This could be compensated for a bit by adjusting linkage length with the turn buckle but then my low idle was too high as the linkage was too short to allow it to return far enough for it to contact the low idle screw. I simply used a die grinder to cut back where the linkage was hitting on the bracket, at both ends, low idle and WOT. Then I found that my gas pedal was hitting the floor before the breakover spring was breaking so I removed it and bent it up slightly by heating it with a torch, more than I needed to really . Now I have plenty of travel, I could remove the high idle screw completly and the only thing that would stop the throttle travel would be the boss where the high idle screw was screwed into.

Am I making any sense? Was this what you where referring to on TDR? I cann't take credit for this idea as I read it somewhere on here awhile ago and sure enough when I looked it was hitting. Thanks whoever that was.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the exact same modifications to my 93 but with the stock governor spring. I didn't have a die grinder but used a hack saw on the stops on the throttle rocker assembly.

Makes a difference in the top end fuel rate for sure..

J-eh