1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Take the Money and Run?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the Money and Run?

Hey, I got an email from a guy in W. Europe concerning my truck I have posted on the classifieds listing. Here it is. I think it is the scam that has gotten so many ebay people the last year. I think I read where it got some folks off of the Trader too. Best I remember, they set up a shipping company, send a certified check (counterfeit) to you, you send the truck and title, and about two weeks later, when your truck and title are long gone, the bank calls "with a problem with your check". Has anyone heard about this. Just wanted to let you know we may have some scammers lurking here. I sent a reply back to let him know I wanted to do business in the States.
Chris

email--

Hello,
I will like to buy your advertised used truck for a client who said he's interested in it.Pls let me know the exact cost and condition.My mode of payment will be by a certified check drwan from an American Bank and to let you know,we are located in W.Europe.
I hope to hear from you soon,
Thanks,Morris
Old 02-24-2004, 09:29 PM

Looks like I may have been right. I just received notice that the reply I sent was undeliverable. Watch out for them!
Chris
Old 02-24-2004, 09:30 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it is a scam. I have heard of it.
---
Al
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A local gal went through something like this as I was told. A gent from europe contacted her to buy her car, he asked if he sent some xtra on the check if she would then forward that amount to a friend. It was something around 5k. She did it and soon after the check turned out to be bad all together. So she lost 5k for nothing. To many scam artists around
Old 02-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take checks like that all the time, but only if they're drawn on a national (larger) bank. I do always call it the # to verify it with the local branch.
-Jim-
Old 02-25-2004, 02:32 AM

yeah, scammer.. ive had about 5 of em try and get me for my 1930 Ford Model A I had for sale a while back...after asking around on the hot rod forums, i found that it was a big scam in europe...if you ask them to send the money, half the time they wont send it...and if you ask for a phone number, they'll stop e-mailing you back.... in my case anyways.. beware.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:12 AM

always use common sense, unless you're selling something pretty rare and/or expensive, why would someone from europe or africa (seen that too) ever be interested in what you have for sale?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:02 AM

yep, you're all right! i've had these clowns email me weekly trying to sucker me in to selling them my products. The last one was totally persistant about me selling him my bucket seats from my D250 club cab. He refused to send payment first so I moved on to the second bidder. He then contacted me again and said he had the right to them first. I told him yeah, and you blew it! It was not an auction, but on a website. He then sent me a check for the correct amount. I had it checked out and the branch manager(where my I do my business banking) told me that it was fake. I then emailed him not only a piece of my mind, but a nice virus to put him out of the computer business for a while!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Chris,

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!

Last year I posted an online ad for an Indian motorcycle I was selling and I got tons of emails like that. One of them came garbled, but it had some of the coding attached, so it was interesting to read. It looked like there's a program out there that picks up the name of whatever you are selling and inserts it into a field called "product".

Denis
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM

That would explain how they can hit so many people on their products for sale. I feel for the people that get suckered into this kind of scam. They wind up losing the money and whatever they had for sale.
Thanks for all the stories.
Chris
Old 03-01-2004, 08:16 PM

Unhappy ME TOO !!!

I had a guy want to buy 20 trucks from me, I told him to wire the money to my account, (which I opened a week before and it had a total of $200.00 in it ) he said he would rather pay by a cashiers check, I said I would like to actually get paid......Funny thing he has never called back.........