1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> steering wheel wiggles <<<

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Question >>> steering wheel wiggles <<<

Wife's 1991.5 LE-cab, tilt, cruise, and all that junk.

The steering-wheel wiggles loosely.

Seeing as how the wheel on one of the parts trucks has had the entire center broke out and has been welded back together, I decided that I would remove the horn-button and have a look.

Unless it is hidden behind that inch-wide x about 3-inches-long steel plate that is under the big nut, 13/16 by the way, I can see no evidence of any cracking.

That big nut is TIGHT.

The steel plate does not budge, but the steering-wheel wiggles loosely/easily.

I removed the nut; the steel plate didn't go nowhere.

I figured the whole mess would pop loose in my hands, but I could not jiggle it loose.

I put the big nut back on REAL TIGHT; the wheel is just as wiggly as before.

ON EDIT --- A FEW MINUTES LATER :

I loosened the big nut a few threads and bumped it with a hammer; this loosened the sleel plates grip on the threaded shaft and it then easily came off.

Hidden under it's two "ears" I found the threaded holes for a puller.

Is this normal ?? Surely it isn't ??

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The steering shaft joint is notorious for failing. Look there first.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
The steering shaft joint is notorious for failing. Look there first.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Are you meaning the shaft joint way down there at the steering-box ??

All the wiggle/looseness is confined right at the steering-wheel.

The big nut and the threaded shaft it is on have no play whatsoever; only the wheel wiggles.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM

>>> take heed <<<

FOUND IT !!!

Once I got that steel plate out of the way and got my spectacles and a light, I found the reason for the wiggles, and probably Chrysler's reason for adding that eared plate.

These steering-wheels are paper-thin JUNK like one would expect to find on some little toodle-around car.

The entire center of the wheel is broken.

The only thing keeping it working is the jigsaw-puzzle shape of the break AND the only thing keeping it from parting ways with the shaft is that steel plate.

I will VEE the cracks and weld it up for now; it will have to be better than Chrysler's dangerous mess.

ON EDIT :

UPDATE :

I VEEed all the cracks and filled them with weld, then ground the surface smooth.

I would have left the welds thick, but that steel plate must sit flat against the wheel surface.

I would have also welded a big flat washer to cover the entire center and span the cracked area, reinforcing it immensely; alas, Chrysler was stingy with the threaded shaft and nary an extra thread is above the nut, so no extra threads for a washer.

I also welded around the back-side of the wheel-center, welding it firmly to the big splined hub; Chrysler had only used four tiny spot-welds to fasten the wheel to the hub and those are way too close to the center for any strength.

I clamped the hub in the vise and tried to wiggle the wheel; NO MORE WIGGLE; tight as a gun-barrel.

In the mean-time, I am definitely looking for a STRONG safe replacement steering-wheel.

I couldn't care less about those cruise-control buttons, as I put cruise-control right up there with cell-phones for causing dangerous driving.

I can put a horn-button anywhere.

I am open for suggestions for a replacement wheel.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I like the old school wood grain grant wheels or the ones with three spokes with holes in them.

Dar
Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a 91.5 would have the small steering wheel as they call it....a 92-93 truck with cruise has a different steering wheel I think the reason they went to it is because of the cracking of the earlier ones, this one, you can unscrew the cruise buttons too. Look for these on 92-93 trucks http://dieselpower.automotive.com/14...photos6-0.html

You could also go to the local parts store, and get one of those shiny GRANT steering wheels up on display. They are a no frills steering wheel usually smaller in diameter, have a horn button and that's about it---like this http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_03.html

in the early 80's all the dodge pickups had an option of a 16.5" steering wheel, it actually showed up on the option sheet. it's a huge heavy duty cool looking steering wheel, makes turning effortless
Like this http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-39865.jpeg
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
a 91.5 would have the small steering wheel as they call it....a 92-93 truck with cruise has a different steering wheel I think the reason they went to it is because of the cracking of the earlier ones, this one, you can unscrew the cruise buttons too. Look for these on 92-93 trucks http://dieselpower.automotive.com/14...photos6-0.html

You could also go to the local parts store, and get one of those shiny GRANT steering wheels up on display. They are a no frills steering wheel usually smaller in diameter, have a horn button and that's about it---like this http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_03.html

in the early 80's all the dodge pickups had an option of a 16.5" steering wheel, it actually showed up on the option sheet. it's a huge heavy duty cool looking steering wheel, makes turning effortless
Like this http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-39865.jpeg

Thanks for the steering-wheel history and all the information.

I assumed the 92-93 trucks had the same wheel as the 91s.

The wife's truck is an I/C 1991.5; and, the other truck we have that has the broken/welded wheel is a non-I/C early-1991 with all interior and exterior attributes that the 91.5 truck has.

I will have to pay closer attention to the 92-93 trucks, as I hadn't noticed the difference in steering-wheels.

That little steel plate that is between the big nut and the steering-wheel sure looks like a recall band-aid to me.

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I like the old school wood grain grant wheels or the ones with three spokes with holes in them.

Dar

ME TOO; and, that is just what I had in mind when I decided that a better wheel is a must.

I think they look as close to a Peterbilt wheel as is possible on a small truck.

Thanks.