1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Shaft

Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering Shaft

Starting my crossover steering project this afternoon and noticed my steering shaft is a mess, I'm buying a new one, even though i'm broke! What do you folks think of the Borgeson steering shaft? 188.00 with the with Rag Joint Flange. Good deal? Hopefully shipping isn't to bad. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by tomd
Starting my crossover steering project this afternoon and noticed my steering shaft is a mess, I'm buying a new one, even though i'm broke! What do you folks think of the Borgeson steering shaft? 188.00 with the with Rag Joint Flange. Good deal? Hopefully shipping isn't to bad. Thanks for any help!

I have had one in my rig for the past 6 or 7 years. I got the rag joint one, but I have read that if you have a big lift, you should get the U-joint one. I am sure that somebody else will have an opinion on this. It is a pretty easy install...Mark
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,568 Posts
I have one in my white '85 crew and my '91.0. I think they are good units.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
You can piece a nice one together from scrap yard stuff . I'm thinking a Cherokee has the correct ujoint and 1/2 shaft the other 1/2 of the shaft comes from GM truck . Look at a couple and see if I remember correctly . I have a Flamimng River on mine , I would have build mine , but didn't research until I purchased it
The following 2 users liked this post by death row dave:
tomd (03-18-2017), twostep (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
I have had one in my rig for the past 6 or 7 years. I got the rag joint one, but I have read that if you have a big lift, you should get the U-joint one. I am sure that somebody else will have an opinion on this. It is a pretty easy install...Mark
Thank you Mark! I'll look into the U-joint one, I appreciate you bringing it up! I have about a 2-3" lift.

On another note,,,My crossover project here was placed on halt due to me not finding my 11/16 flare nut wrench...To remove the lines from on top the steering box. (don't want to mess those up) No stores close to me! Will have to go in the morning, freaking great! haha

This will all be a good upgrade for my truck. Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
maybe368 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by death row dave
You can piece a nice one together from scrap yard stuff . I'm thinking a Cherokee has the correct ujoint and 1/2 shaft the other 1/2 of the shaft comes from GM truck . Look at a couple and see if I remember correctly . I have a Flamimng River on mine , I would have build mine , but didn't research until I purchased it
Too Funny! I just watched a video of the very same thing! Thanks Dave!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Thank you Mark! I'll look into the U-joint one, I appreciate you bringing it up! I have about a 2-3" lift.

On another note,,,My crossover project here was placed on halt due to me not finding my 11/16 flare nut wrench...To remove the lines from on top the steering box. (don't want to mess those up) No stores close to me! Will have to go in the morning, freaking great! haha

This will all be a good upgrade for my truck. Thanks for the help!
If you have any metric wrenches, an 18mm works fine. It really shouldn't be that tight, unless someone really cranked on it or that it has never been off. A trick that I use on flare nuts that are too tight, especially brake lines. is a good pair of vise-grips clamped tightly onto 2 sides of the fitting and stick a pipe of the right size on the adjusting side and it always work. I don't care how many tools I have, sometimes the old shade tree stuff comes out . ..Mark
tomd (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Mark,

Not trying to be a richard cranium here......but could you please explain to me the reasoning behind "having a big lift", and needing a double U joint steering shaft ?

Are you talking "BODY" lift or suspension lift ?

The relationship between the steering shaft (OEM or aftermarket) and the steering gear will not change unless you alter the position of the steering column (by installing hockey puck body lift) or you lower the gear mounting position. If you're not doing either, than the spacing or positioning between the steering column and gear remain the same.

Personally, I wouldn't use the double u joint unit. Why ?

The engineers (albeit not the smartest bunch of monkeys) put the rag joint in there to absorb the flex-ation between the steering column (which is mounted in the cab) to the frame mounted steering gear. The rubber allows for bending / twisting / lateral or vertical movement between the end of the steering column and the fixed length of the steering shaft. If you install a solid u joint in there, you no longer have that ability to absorb the slop / deviation between the frame moving / cab moving that happens in our old rides..

Obviously, it's been used by many, but I like the idea that the rubber disc allows for changes in position.....

IMO, if you're only doing the suspension lift, there is no need for a double U jointed shaft, as you're not changing the positional relationship between the end of the steering column and the steering gear head.

YMMV.....
tomd (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,568 Posts
My white crew cab, which we call the Vanilla Gorilla, has a 6 suspension inch lift, a Reverse Rotation steering box and a rag joint style Borgeson steering shaft. It steers better now than it has in the past 13 years I have owned it, that includes even before I lifted it.

With a body lift I could see problems with the steering shaft like T-man mentioned, but not with a suspension lift.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
Mark,

Not trying to be a richard cranium here......but could you please explain to me the reasoning behind "having a big lift", and needing a double U joint steering shaft ?

Are you talking "BODY" lift or suspension lift ?

The relationship between the steering shaft (OEM or aftermarket) and the steering gear will not change unless you alter the position of the steering column (by installing hockey puck body lift) or you lower the gear mounting position. If you're not doing either, than the spacing or positioning between the steering column and gear remain the same.

The engineers (albeit not the smartest bunch of monkeys) put the rag joint in there to absorb the flex-ation between the steering column (which is mounted in the cab) to the frame mounted steering gear. The rubber allows for bending / twisting / lateral or vertical movement between the end of the steering column and the fixed length of the steering shaft. If you install a solid u joint in there, you no longer have that ability to absorb the slop / deviation between the frame moving / cab moving that happens in our old rides..

Obviously, it's been used by many, but I like the idea that the rubber disc allows for changes in position.....

IMO, if you're only doing the suspension lift, there is no need for a double U jointed shaft, as you're not changing the positional relationship between the end of the steering column and the steering gear head.

YMMV.....
T, I think that you are right. I just remember reading that and a suspension lift does not change the geometry between the shaft and the steering box. They were talking about a body lift I t hink. From their site: Single needle bearing Universal Joints
Borgeson needle bearing universal joints are machined in our factory on state of the art CNC equipment from steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. On-going engineering and testing ensures that we offer the strongest, safest and smoothest operating steering universal joint available today. Borgeson needle bearing universal joints have the distinct advantage of lasting nearly 10 times longer than non-needle bearing joints. We recommend only needle bearing universal joints for vehicles that are used on the street. Borgeson needle bearing universal joints have no backlash or radial play. They are permanently lubricated and sealed and require no maintenance. Borgeson single universal joints will operate smoothly at angles up to 35°. Angles over 35° can be accommodated by using a double universal joint. With over 6,237 variations all in stock and able to ship the same day they are ordered Borgeson is sure to have the universal joint you need.
Double needle bearing Universal Joints
Using a Borgeson double universal joint can negotiate angles over 35º. Available in steel, stainless steel, and aluminum, these doubles accommodate angles up to 70º and are available in all spline and DD configurations. Note: Using a double joint in addition to a single will require a steering shaft support bearing see design section for details. From here: https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2 They don't mention lift, but they talk about angle...Mark
tomd (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM

good pair of vise-grips clamped tightly onto 2 sides of the fitting and stick a pipe of the right size on the adjusting side and it always work. I don't care how many tools I have, sometimes the old shade tree stuff comes out . ..Mark
LOL! I hear that! I was tempted with vice grips last night,. I had a good fit with the 11/16 open end but could feel it rounding the corner. Not sure they've ever been taken off, dang things are on there tight.

I ended up buying the Borgeson 000940 Steering Shaft Assembly for only 160. Free shipping!

Also, wondering if I should get the Power Steering Brace from Dodge connection. I'll be moving the box off the dreaded plate and onto the frame in the 2-wheel drive position. Hoping this brace will work. Another expense but well worth it in the long run since everything will be apart.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Thank you NYTman! Thanks for the time posting, very helpful indeed. I bought the non lift shaft, but also noticed my column in the engine bay has a spring, I didn't see the spring in other videos, is this a stock set up? Should still mount up with the upgrade hopefully. Regards
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

LOL! I hear that! I was tempted with vice grips last night,. I had a good fit with the 11/16 open end but could feel it rounding the corner. Not sure they've ever been taken off, dang things are on there tight.

I ended up buying the Borgeson 000940 Steering Shaft Assembly for only 160. Free shipping!

Also, wondering if I should get the Power Steering Brace from Dodge connection. I'll be moving the box off the dreaded plate and onto the frame in the 2-wheel drive position. Hoping this brace will work. Another expense but well worth it in the long run since everything will be apart.
I thought that the cross over resolved the plate problem, but I am no expert. I am going to do the RR setup when I get home from Mexico. I personally had a bad experience with Dodge Connection, I will give you the details by PM, if you like. I am sure that one of the people here with experience with the brace will chime in...Mark
tomd (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 AM

I thought that the cross over resolved the plate problem, but I am no expert. I am going to do the RR setup when I get home from Mexico. I personally had a bad experience with Dodge Connection, I will give you the details by PM, if you like. I am sure that one of the people here with experience with the brace will chime in...Mark
Bummer, I just placed the order a few minutes ago! arggghh and was not happy having to pay 25-bucks for shipping ups ground!
Great, hopefully the steering brace will work in this application!
Thanks Mark!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:27 PM

FYI The lines going into the power steering box (18 mm) I bought the wrong wrenches this morning thinking they were SAE. I was able to crack one line with an open ended 18mm the other was too fubar'd and had to use the vice grips! had to go rogue and down right country. haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Shaft