1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

steering rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering rebuild

i ordered a steering box rebuild kit and a new power steering pump(with resevoir). does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to do these? i know the pump is an internal setup but ive never really taken the time to really look at it. im assuming the box rebuild kit includes new seals and what not but im not sure what else. let me know about your experiences and any pointers would be greatly appreciated. hopefully rebuilding the box will stop my pump from blowing every 3 monthes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 19mike92
i ordered a steering box rebuild kit and a new power steering pump(with resevoir). does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to do these? i know the pump is an internal setup but ive never really taken the time to really look at it. im assuming the box rebuild kit includes new seals and what not but im not sure what else. let me know about your experiences and any pointers would be greatly appreciated. hopefully rebuilding the box will stop my pump from blowing every 3 monthes
In all honesty, I knew I did not have the expertise, machine access, or confidence to do my own gear. I hear it's not impossible to do yourself, but without a rebuilding guide of sorts, how would you develop the knowledge of the tolerances / clearances inside the gear without purchasing a service manual ?

My service manual shows the process of rebuilding the gear, but it utilizes special tools that are used in the assembly and dis assembly. IMO, unless you have access to a shop full of the right tools, purchasing them might blow out the budget, vs just purchasing a new one...

I'd call Chip....
www.powersteering.com
Attached Thumbnails steering rebuild-steering-gear-page-1.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I have to agree. I'm pretty handy when it comes to most things on a vehicle, but power steering boxes,and pumps, I won't bother with. I bought a new power steering box for my D350 for under $100 off E-bay. Been in there 3 years now with no problems.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've been interested in the positive comments I've read on here about the Redhead steering gears, as far as the quality workmanship and internal modifications that have been done to his product. I think that's the way I'd probably go if I found I needed a replacement steering gear.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but thought I'd throw it in anyway.