1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Column Wiring Colors ???

Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Steering Column Wiring Colors ???

Regarding the turn signal wiring identification, I found this in the stickies:

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/1991....ams/Scan27.jpg

Will the colors remain true for the 1990 non-tilt that I am working on ?

Also, I am having a bit of trouble understanding the color labeling; some are followed with * and some are not.
I am assuming BK is black, PK is pink, LG is light-green, DG is dark-green, and so forth.
I am assuming the numbers preceding the letters denote AWG.
I am assuming 18RD/YL means an 18-AWG red wire with a yellow stripe; if it reads 18RD/YL*, what does the * represent ?

Please correct any wrong assumptions I may have.

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I doubt it since that to me looks like 91.5 wiring harness info. Your 90 has the old style rounded column correct?

Your reading of the wires themselves is spot on. As for the little "*"....not sure what that denotes?
The following users liked this post:
BearKiller (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't have a '90 diagram, though.
BearKiller (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alec
I don't have a '90 diagram, though.
After diligent searching, I am beginning to think that none exists.
Thanks for the chart.

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Your 90 has the old style rounded column correct?
Yes; non-tilt also.
I believe it is also missing a section of the shroud.
Immediately against the portion that has the switch lever, there is a simple plastic cover of about three inches long; the actual column and it's mechanics are exposed for a couple inches before it disappears behind the instrument panel.
I can see two rods on the left side; the lower rod connects the lever to the dimmer switch; the upper rod moves with the rotation of the key.

As best I remember, on the later columns, the wiring is actually connected to the key-switch, instead of the switch being rod-actuated.

I can get this figured out by process of elimination and common sense, but it would be a lot easier if I knew what color wires should be.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I have searched and searched on-line many times for wiring diagrams from the FSM for 89-91 but have rarely found anything. I can find 91.5-93, but none of the early stuff. I have an 89 FSM here somewhere....I will see if I can find it in the next few days. If I find it I could snap pics and e-mail them to you, or try and post up the pics on the board.
BearKiller (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have an 89 FSM here somewhere....I will see if I can find it in the next few days. If I find it I could snap pics and e-mail them to you, or try and post up the pics on the board.
That would be most appreciated !
I hope you have better luck finding things than I usually do; when I get bound and determined to find something, I find all sorts of things that I needed last week or last year --- looked for then and didn't find --- , and seem to never be able to find whatever it is that I am after.
When we moved here some twenty-odd years ago, everything we owned fit in two pickup trucks; five 53x102s couldn't move us now.
thrashingcows (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 1,036 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
That would be most appreciated !
I hope you have better luck finding things than I usually do; when I get bound and determined to find something, I find all sorts of things that I needed last week or last year --- looked for then and didn't find --- , and seem to never be able to find whatever it is that I am after.
When we moved here some twenty-odd years ago, everything we owned fit in two pickup trucks; five 53x102s couldn't move us now.
If T-Cows can't find his I have the full FSM for the 89 on CD. Let me know what section of the wiring diagram you need and I'll post it. To busy right now though.

Edwin
Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Turn Hazard wiring.

Here's a couple of sheets from My FSM.

The following 3 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
BearKiller (10-03-2017), patdaly (10-04-2017), thrashingcows (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Here's a couple of sheets from My FSM.
Those are a big help.
If you have the head-light dimmer wiring diagram that would be nice to have as well.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 PM

The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
BearKiller (10-03-2017), patdaly (10-04-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 AM

Mission Accomplished ! ! !
A big THANK YOU to Edwinsmith for the electrical diagrams, especially post #8.

The colors were all correct and knowing which wires did what made this project a whole lot easier.

I used a 7-wire heavy duty truck Signal-Stat turn signal switch.

As the steering column shroud is mostly plastic, I opened the switch cover and added a Ground wire, threading it through the loom and inside the housing, thus making this 7-wire switch into a 8-wire; you have to have a Ground only so that the little indicators in the switch housing will work; no other function of the switch requires Ground and all signals will work without it.

For anyone else who may wish to undertake this endeavor, I will list which switch wire color connects to which truck wire color.The switch colors will be named first for each connection.
Note: I used the more easily accessible wires on the column/bottom side of the connecter; I think the colors differ on the truck/top side.

Brake Light = Red to White
Rt Rear Signal = Brown to Brown/Red Stripe
Lft Rear Signal = Orange to Dark Green/Red Stripe
Rt Front Signal = Green to Tan
Lft Front Signal = Yellow to Light Green

You can leave the Red and Pink truck wires intact, as removing both factory signal flashers from the fuse block kills the power to these two wires.

You will need a standard three prong flasher, F550 or the electronic equivalent EF33.

You can be neat and use a flasher pigtail, or you can simply use female spade terminals on those three wire ends.

Temporarily for the time being, I sourced always HOT power by putting a male spade terminal on my HOT wire and poking it in the HOT side of where I removed the hazard flasher; later, I will reroute this wire to an always HOT junction stud; I would have done so today but it was already dark and getting late.

This HOT wire connects to the X terminal of your flasher.
The Blue wire connects to the P terminal of your flasher.
The Black wire connects to the L terminal of your flasher.
Ziptie the flasher in an easy to spot location out of harms way; ten years from now, when the flasher finally goes bad, you will need to be able to find it.

The puny little clamp that comes with these units would barely wrap around a mop handle, let alone a huge plastic column shroud.
As I was unsure whether my chosen location was going to be it's forever resting place, instead of a much larger clamp, I used a giant sized ziptie that I had on hand to secure the signal switch onto the steering column shroud.

I attached my already described Ground wire to a screw that went into a shiny metal bracket just to the right of the column.

Now, the signals on this truck all flash with authority.

My next move is to mount the new floor-mounted dimmer switch to our liking in the floor and re-route the headlight wires through it.

That will leave only one more function to be relocated to a dash-mounted switch -- the windshield wiper switch.

Once I get that conquered, I can remove that big boxy bulge from the column and move our new signal switch to that location.

I may then install a starter button and relocate the key-switch to a hidden area; thus the only wire left up the column would be the horn.

Ever since we have owned this truck, several years now, every time I dim the lights, turn on a signal, or mess with the wipers, I have expected the stupid little stick to come loose in my hand; that big heavy duty lever on the Signal-Stat is a horse of an entirely different hue; it feels positive and no-nonsense.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.
The following 2 users liked this post by BearKiller:
edwinsmith (10-14-2017), thrashingcows (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I think this will help me hopefully in the near future. I'm going to be swapping the cab from my old gasser '87, and I would really like to use the '87 column. I really like the floor mounted dimer switch, dash mounted wiper switch, plus the ignition switch has never been right on mine since it broke right after I got the truck.