1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Started cutting for Mega Crew Cab.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started cutting for Mega Crew Cab.

Well I secured a 3/4ton 4X4 1978 club cab with a VERY nice roof and no front floor for $300 so I decided to take the plunge and do a MEGA CREW! After seeing some pics in the conversions section I was hooked and decided I need to do the same thing, I have some front roof rust so I was going to have to cut some of the roof off anyways so why not the entire thing right??

Its amazing where some of these spot welds are... I would love to have seen these being put together at the factory.

No wonder they rust... I don't see any kind of paint or rust proofing, just bare metal.

Peeling the cab corner off.

Stay tuned!!

P.S.
I HATE Johny5!! Seeing your truck KEEPS ME GOING!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Sounds like a fun project!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 PM

looks like you have your work cut out for ya. glad my truck inspirers you

are you going to add the club cab to the crew?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM

when the mega cabs came out i think i was 15 at the time! this was my first idea! get an older cab and make a sweet 12v mega cab! i just went on a trip from california to Sout Dakota! we were driving through a small town and i spotted an old 85 crew cab with the conversion done! just sitting there i hope someday it gets used!

good luck on your project and hope everything goes smooth!!! keep us updated with pics
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've seen pictures where a member had put a club cab rear section onto the back of a megacab.

don't put the 5.2 v8 in that nice crewcab!! find a nice cummins to swap in!!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
i've seen pictures where a member had put a club cab rear section onto the back of a megacab.

don't put the 5.2 v8 in that nice crewcab!! find a nice cummins to swap in!!

Send donations via paypal to xjmoparman@gmail.com

I have a 1999 magnum 360 to stick in it if I end up with not enough $$ for a cummins by the time I get the cab and chassis ready for a drivetrain.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ADMOPARMAN

I have a 1999 magnum 360 to stick in it if I end up with not enough $$ for a cummins by the time I get the cab and chassis ready for a drivetrain.

HOLY CRAP that is a long cab..
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM

That truck is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Wasn't that nice of dodge not to paint the inside of the roofs. I cut my donor off completely and I'm stripping it with a wire brush wheel on my grinder and then coating it with rust bullet so it hopefully won't rust again.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RAMMAN4
Wasn't that nice of dodge not to paint the inside of the roofs. I cut my donor off completely and I'm stripping it with a wire brush wheel on my grinder and then coating it with rust bullet so it hopefully won't rust again.
My truck is an 80's cab and it was bad enough... I would have given up already if I had to do as much rust repair as you have.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocktoy
That truck is AWESOME!!!!!!
All it needs is a 10 foot bed! It would have it's own Zip code!
Seriously... Cool truck!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for this picture. It answers a question that I have had for sometime as to how the inner roof panels are fastened together. Those spotwelds in that location present a problem on removing an inner roof panel using a spotweld cutter. In effect you have to remove the outer rear cab panel to remove the inner roof and rear inner panel. Now I wonder why they just didn't use a locking tab setup that would just snap the rear sections of the inner roof together.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor
Thanks for this picture. It answers a question that I have had for sometime as to how the inner roof panels are fastened together. Those spotwelds in that location present a problem on removing an inner roof panel using a spotweld cutter. In effect you have to remove the outer rear cab panel to remove the inner roof and rear inner panel. Now I wonder why they just didn't use a locking tab setup that would just snap the rear sections of the inner roof together.
Yeah that part was a big mystery to me too... Best I can tell they weld the INNER rear wall to the INNER "C" pillars and the INNER roof spot welds are done, then the OUTTER roof skin and the OUTTER rear wall get welded together off the truck and stuck on with the drip rails and rear window opening getting spot welded. I'm not going to seperate the inner and outter rear wall so I'll have to cut the roof and re-weld it so I can get to the inner roof skin spot welds...

I want this thing to look 100% factory when I'm done so I will be taking my time on it!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Cool...very Cool
Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Yeah that part was a big mystery to me too... Best I can tell they weld the INNER rear wall to the INNER "C" pillars and the INNER roof spot welds are done, then the OUTTER roof skin and the OUTTER rear wall get welded together off the truck and stuck on with the drip rails and rear window opening getting spot welded. I'm not going to seperate the inner and outter rear wall so I'll have to cut the roof and re-weld it so I can get to the inner roof skin spot welds...

I want this thing to look 100% factory when I'm done so I will be taking my time on it!
Just a reminder that whenever you weld a clear span panel together you need to apply pressure from the opposite side of the surfaces being welded or it will shrink inward and away from the side being welded.

Quick Reply: Started cutting for Mega Crew Cab.