1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Weg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo Problem

Hi all,<br><br>Just bought a 91 5 spd 4x4 Cummins Friday and the Speedo doesn't work, I'm not the most clueless person about working on vehicles just havn't had alot of experiance working on alot of them so anyone think they can help me?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Speedo Problem

That is a fairly common problem on the first gen trucks. I had this happen on my truck and in most cases it involves the speed/distance sensor. The speed distance sensor on the 4x4 is mounted on the driver's side of the transfer case and on the 2wd is located on the transmission (not sure which side). This device will have an electrical connection on it. Unplug it and remove it from either the transfer case or the tranny. Take it apart, clean it and inspect it for any damage. Also clean the electrical connection and spray it with a good electrical contact spray. This may solve your problem.<br>---<br>Al
Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 AM

You might also want to check the connections on the back of the speedometer head itself. Mine wasn't working also. I took the speedometer out of the dash, unplugged the connections, squeezed them tighter, reinstalled and it works perfectly.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Weg

I've already taken the whole dash apart and it appears that the connections are making good contact with the speedo (pain getting it off, didn't want to let go) so i'm pretty sure it isn't that, I'm thinking its either the speed distance sensor on the Transfer Case or the speedo itself
Old 06-03-2003, 01:26 AM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you have taken care of the speed distance sensor and it is still not working then maybe a good wack on the dash with your right hand may get the speedo working again :
Old 06-03-2003, 04:04 AM

Mine appeared to be tight also. As a last resort, I disonnected it and crimped the female connectors a little and then reinstalled. But, do as AIK suggested. While driving, hit the top of the dash hard. If the speedometer starts to work, then it's a problem with one of the connnections not making good contact. If not, then it is either the speed/distance sensor or associated wiring.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Weg

I'm thinking its the speedo distance sensor, so i'm going to cheat and steal parts off my previous Rig i'm trying to sell to see if thats the problem (92 gasser shouldn't be anything diff speedo wise right?) but i'm pretty sure its that distance sensor, just a huntch