1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedo/Odometer/Ignition ques

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedo/Odometer/Ignition ques

Dont hate,,,
I have read several discussions on forum, but, i havent gotten a handle on my next move. I just bought this truck, on the way home (100miles) the odometer quit, speedo/cruise/od still worked. Now that ive parked it & drove it again the speedo began to fluctuate (cruise/od works), after crawling underneath i notice some fliud on the VSS offset (tailshaft) and couple other plugs attached to side of tranny. (PDG or GRR?)
Im convinced my odometer problem is gears behind gauge,however, im hoping to accomplish the easiest first.

Also,i bought truck with bad ignition lock cyl, you turn to start position & smash button underneath column it cranks. Id rather have working as intended out of fear of this leaving me stranded, how much of job is it to replace on limited knowledge?
Thanx in advance
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you sure it's the switch and not the relay ? under hood on driver's side there are 3 relay's just your normal realy work's just fine .
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

for the ignition? the PO had already installed push button, you must turn igntion all the way to start position where its stays, then mash button to start, you dont even need the key...
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Replacing an ignition switch isnt hard, just takes a lot of patience so as not to break things. Problem is that unless you order the new switch through the dealer ( they'll need your VIN), you'll wind up with one key for the door locks and another for the ignition.
The switch is held in by a tiny roll pin, and has to be aligned carefully with the linkages when you install the new one, then held in place while you install the roll pin with your third hand... nothing to it.
If you arent comfortable doing it, it shouldnt be an expensive repair at any auto shop...

As to your speedo problems, you have all the symptoms of a bad VSS. You can get one from NAPA, last I knew they run about $40.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Buy the switch from whomever you want to and take it to a locksmith before you install it and have them rekey it to your door lock key or cut the key so that it is not visible when inserted in the lock but you can still remove it with long nose pliers. Just my two cents, Mike.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The problem isn't likely to be the ignition switch, but probably the lock cylinder. The piece on the end of it that engages the ignition switch probably has a chunk broken out of it requiring a replacement lock cylinder. As mentioned, you can get one keyed to the truck to avoid having to have a separate key to start it.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
The problem isn't likely to be the ignition switch, but probably the lock cylinder. The piece on the end of it that engages the ignition switch probably has a chunk broken out of it requiring a replacement lock cylinder. As mentioned, you can get one keyed to the truck to avoid having to have a separate key to start it.
I stand corrected, my nomenclature was off! It is the lock cylinder I am refering to in my post as well.. .. it has a "pot-metal" piece on the end that breaks off
Thnx Torque..

however, reading his post, I think that the "button you mash" under the column is likely someones attempt to by-pass either a bad switch or a bad relay..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 AM

I appreciate your responses...the PO told me he was attempting to leave Fla with boat when his ignition quit/broke, anyway someone at the boat dock wired up this button for his trip home.
Ill order a lock cylinder & VSS.

Would it be conclusive that the gear behind guage is reason for odometer not working?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Typically it is a bad gear in the ODO.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Necred
I appreciate your responses...the PO told me he was attempting to leave Fla with boat when his ignition quit/broke, anyway someone at the boat dock wired up this button for his trip home.
Ill order a lock cylinder & VSS.

Would it be conclusive that the gear behind guage is reason for odometer not working?
You really should check the starter relay before going through all the hassle of opening up the steering column and messing with the lock cylinder.
It would make sense to by-pass the relay with a momentary switch in an emergency, and that is what it sounds like someone may have done.
The starter relay is located on the drivers side firewall just forward of the hood hinge spring. You can get a replacement at NAPA.

The VSS not functioning CAN affect the odometer as well, so replace the VSS first, check the gear reducer( if so equipped) then if you still have no odo, check the gears in it.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
You really should check the starter relay before going through all the hassle of opening up the steering column and messing with the lock cylinder.
It would make sense to by-pass the relay with a momentary switch in an emergency, and that is what it sounds like someone may have done.
The starter relay is located on the drivers side firewall just forward of the hood hinge spring. You can get a replacement at NAPA.

The VSS not functioning CAN affect the odometer as well, so replace the VSS first, check the gear reducer( if so equipped) then if you still have no odo, check the gears in it.
Thanx, How do i check the gear reducer? Just see if it turns?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanx, How do i check the gear reducer? Just see if it turns?
There is a thread on here somewhere that describes checking the output of the electrical for the speedo using voltmeter and variable speed drill, but I dont recall who posted it.. sorry

I would simply check for a worn shaft ( look for rounded off shoulders on the shafts, and very carefully open it up and check that the small gears inside it are intact.. that is, if you have one at all. Starting in mid year ,1993 I think, they stopped using a seperate reducer.

This may help:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t198123p2.html
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Parts store is telling me there are 2 speed sensors one with 3 leads & one apparently is the offset, does this sound right?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Parts store is telling me there are 2 speed sensors one with 3 leads & one apparently is the offset, does this sound right?
NO it doesnt.. the VSS for a 92 auto should have two leads in the connector..
This should be the right VSS for your truck:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...100_0306451676
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM

I looked at the "off-set" one, not 100% sure, but I believe that one was used on the gassers..

Quick Reply: Speedo/Odometer/Ignition ques