1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Some Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Newbie Questions

Just bought my first Cummins Dodge. Its a 91 3/4T 2WD. So far I love it. It runs fantastic! I have been looking around the web for various Dodge Cummins parts sources and I have determined that while there is about a million companies that sell CTD parts they all seem to cater to 94 and newer. Are there any good companies out there that sell 1st Gen, 12Valve parts???
Also, The guy who owned this before me put a K&N Filter on it and I have never been too crazy about K&N so do you have any recomendations on a good air filter?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-03-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR

While you are waiting for someone smarter than me to answer your questions take a few minutes and fill out your signature. It will let everyone know at a glance what truck you have, what mods, single sisters, ect.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Dump the K&N, get a BHAF (do a search on BHAF), I have one, cost me about $40 total.

You dont really need the aftermarket to get HP/torque gains from the motor, simple pump/intake/exhaust mods will make yer truck much better. I have yet to even search for anything after market to make my truck any better. Mechanical motors are easy to mess with.

My '92 will pull a house down (and it has) bone stock
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_o23
Just bought my first Cummins Dodge. Its a 91 3/4T 2WD. So far I love it. It runs fantastic! I have been looking around the web for various Dodge Cummins parts sources and I have determined that while there is about a million companies that sell CTD parts they all seem to cater to 94 and newer. Are there any good companies out there that sell 1st Gen, 12Valve parts???
Also, The guy who owned this before me put a K&N Filter on it and I have never been too crazy about K&N so do you have any recomendations on a good air filter?

Thanks for any help
Welcome Nate.

When it comes to body mods and assessories, the '94 up have the majority of the suppliers. For drivetrain and mechanical parts, there are still quite a few suppliers for the 1st gen. What exactly are you looking for?

I replaced my K&N with what's called the BHAF. If you search BHAF, there are over 9 pages of threads in the 1st gen forum alone. Basically, it's a large paper element that replaces the entire airbox assembly. I use what's called the Old Smokey mount to hold mine. You can see pics of mine in the link below.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=bhaf

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:48 AM

I did a search and you are right, there is A LOT of posts on the bhaf. If I understood the posts right it is a much larger then stock air filter that you can either just stick on the end of the intake or build a custom box to house it. Do I have it right?
I have another question for you all, The only problem I have mechanically is loose steering. Having owned several non-CDT Dodges this seems to be a pretty common problem. After looking it over good the slop is defintley coming from the steering coupler. I have the Chry. Part # for the rebuild kit for the coupler, but does anyone have the part # for the rag joint?? Figured I may as well change that too.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Not Sure About the BHAF...

I guess I can't see why anyone would want to run an airfilter with an exposed element. In a driving rain or snow, the element would get soaked and cease to pass air, or even turn to mush ready to be sucked into the engine. A buddy of mine was driving through a blizzard of heavy, wet snow in his D-Max and his K&N exposed-element filter clogged up with snow to the point that the truck barely got him to an unplanned stop at a motel. Next morning after the weather cleared, the truck ran with no problems. The K&N is now sitting in the corner of his garage. What am I missing here?
- Chris
Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_o23
I did a search and you are right, there is A LOT of posts on the bhaf. If I understood the posts right it is a much larger then stock air filter that you can either just stick on the end of the intake or build a custom box to house it. Do I have it right?
I have another question for you all, The only problem I have mechanically is loose steering. Having owned several non-CDT Dodges this seems to be a pretty common problem. After looking it over good the slop is defintley coming from the steering coupler. I have the Chry. Part # for the rebuild kit for the coupler, but does anyone have the part # for the rag joint?? Figured I may as well change that too.
Thanks for the help.
Have you tightened the steering gear box? There is an adjustment nut and allen screw for tighten on top of the box.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:42 PM

I bought a new "rag disc" from Summit, about ten bucks I think.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:55 PM

Here is a new word for the newbie:

BORGENSON
Old 03-04-2006, 07:06 PM

The Borgeson steering shaft is available at Summit for a good price too. The coupler on my 89 was so worn it was almost unbelievable.

Tim
Old 03-04-2006, 07:14 PM

Welcome to the site.When I got my truck I had the same steering problem. I went with the borgeson shaft and it is great. It took all of about 15 minutes to get the old one off and put the new one in. BTW, if the rebuild kit doesn't have a new roll pin, I'd pick one up. Mine was only about a 1/4 of what should have been there. It made it really easy to get out though.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Talking steering coupler

i fixed my old trucks coupler by taking off the coupler ,cut the splined part off on a lathe so it would be straight .then welded 1 end of a pto shaft to the coupler ,reinstalled on splines ,slipped the other end back on steering shaft and welded it to the shaft ,greasable now too should last forever only cost about 40 bucks to
Old 03-05-2006, 05:20 PM

A borgenson would be nice but I dont have the money. I also thought I might try doing this...
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...owtoshow;id=30
Has anyone ever tried this??