Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbie with some questions here

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie with some questions here

I posted this in the regional section but thought that there may be some good input here as well based on forum traffic and a wider spread of knowledgeable folks...

I'm new to the diesel world...just picked up a 2001 Ram QC CTD 2500 very recently. Just wanted to say hi as I joined DTR today. A few quick questions:

(1) any good shops or knowledgeable folks around...I'm over in Maryland but don't mind driving out within reason for good service etc...After doing some searches I called up Cummins Power Systems in Glen Burnie (asked some newbie maintenance questions to them about service intervals and those sort of things) ...although they do factory service they also told me of another place that does aftermarket stuff, called Diesel Connections...anyone know of any others around the mid-atlantic (MD/DC/VA/PA area? I'm just trying to get a feel of what's out there and who does what.

(2) One of the main things I noticed was that this truck is very well supported by the aftermarket...lots of makers for performance, towing, and fuel economy parts...this engine seems to be a package that has a very good base to start from. I am pretty happy with the truck as it sits...I think the only things I'd want to add would be some basic aftermarket parts to get a little better fuel economy and slight power/responsiveness increase...I asked around and it seems like the intake (I've seen a few seems like banks Ram air or other cold air intakes are good...I've also seen this elbow looking plastic intake manifold from banks and a few others)..., exhaust (maybe turbo back kit with a downpipe also?), some sort of adjustable programmer (I've seen the Edge Juice/attitude, smarty, Bully dog etc...list goes on), maybe a few guages would be good also. Lastly I've been told that getting some stage 1 injectors like 40 or 50hp increas would be good. I'm just looking for mild improvement(s) in say a package or add ons part by part from maybe different vendors whose parts are very good and work well together. I'm leaning more toward fuel economy improvement around town unloaded, some occasional towing and such, mild power gains but nothing crazy, don't really want to get to the point where I start breaking stuff and have to spend a lot of $$$ trying to beef things up or replacing broken parts. Any thoughts on what to do, brands/products to go with, where to start, and in what order to add the mods?

(3) lastly, any tips or advice...this is my first diesel truck and I think I got a good one with the '01 Cummins Dodge...but there's probably a lot I don't know and will learn...I'm open to any advice or things I should be aware of, things to look for with this particular truck, or keep an eye on...each vehicle has their little quarks and peculiarities...

thanks for your help, I've always been a car enthusiast and spent a lot of time on other related forums...now I'm a newbie once again! ...I look forward to learning more about this truck and want to thank you in advance for any helpful information you may have.

Sunir
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM

ttt...c'mon guys help a newbie out
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM

For starters, keep an eye on your fuel pressure it will save you money. I've got a SMARTY and love it. It gives you lots of options and from what I've heard, pairs well. Good Luck and have fun. If you're married just remember that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM

If your just looking for a mild power gain, I'd look for a mild box that doesn't tap the injection pump wire. These boxes are usually worth about 65-70 HP and may add a little economy. I just added (beta testing) the new quadzilla xzt+ box to mine and I am impressed with it.
I've finally adjusted my passenger side mirror up from the tailpipe and will have a few mileage numbers soon...250 miles into this tank, I'm pretty sure I'm up on mileage quite a bit.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
I posted this in the regional section but thought that there may be some good input here as well based on forum traffic and a wider spread of knowledgeable folks...

I'm new to the diesel world...just picked up a 2001 Ram QC CTD 2500 very recently. Just wanted to say hi as I joined DTR today. A few quick questions:

(1) any good shops or knowledgeable folks around...I'm over in Maryland but don't mind driving out within reason for good service etc...After doing some searches I called up Cummins Power Systems in Glen Burnie (asked some newbie maintenance questions to them about service intervals and those sort of things) ...although they do factory service they also told me of another place that does aftermarket stuff, called Diesel Connections...anyone know of any others around the mid-atlantic (MD/DC/VA/PA area? I'm just trying to get a feel of what's out there and who does what.

(2) One of the main things I noticed was that this truck is very well supported by the aftermarket...lots of makers for performance, towing, and fuel economy parts...this engine seems to be a package that has a very good base to start from. I am pretty happy with the truck as it sits...I think the only things I'd want to add would be some basic aftermarket parts to get a little better fuel economy and slight power/responsiveness increase...I asked around and it seems like the intake (I've seen a few seems like banks Ram air or other cold air intakes are good...I've also seen this elbow looking plastic intake manifold from banks and a few others)..., exhaust (maybe turbo back kit with a downpipe also?), some sort of adjustable programmer (I've seen the Edge Juice/attitude, smarty, Bully dog etc...list goes on), maybe a few guages would be good also. Lastly I've been told that getting some stage 1 injectors like 40 or 50hp increas would be good. I'm just looking for mild improvement(s) in say a package or add ons part by part from maybe different vendors whose parts are very good and work well together. I'm leaning more toward fuel economy improvement around town unloaded, some occasional towing and such, mild power gains but nothing crazy, don't really want to get to the point where I start breaking stuff and have to spend a lot of $$$ trying to beef things up or replacing broken parts. Any thoughts on what to do, brands/products to go with, where to start, and in what order to add the mods?

(3) lastly, any tips or advice...this is my first diesel truck and I think I got a good one with the '01 Cummins Dodge...but there's probably a lot I don't know and will learn...I'm open to any advice or things I should be aware of, things to look for with this particular truck, or keep an eye on...each vehicle has their little quarks and peculiarities...

thanks for your help, I've always been a car enthusiast and spent a lot of time on other related forums...now I'm a newbie once again! ...I look forward to learning more about this truck and want to thank you in advance for any helpful information you may have.

Sunir

1 - besides yourself and the local chapter you found the diesel shop in your area. Can't say how good they are, once I met the chapter folks started doind all my own work.
2 - I love mine, drop in air filter (although I want a different one), Van Aaken box (70hp) and DD1 injectors (50hp). Stock exhaust (I'd also like to change). The intake and exhaust only support other mods, although for mild ones, the stock ones will do, unless you like it louder. I'm at the limit for the stock transmission (mine is holding fine for now). You go any higher in HP and you will need to spend some $$ on the transmission and/or clutch (I didn't notice which you have). Similar to my setup would be an Edge EZ and RV275 injectors. Great setup for daily driving, and towing. 1st thing though, get gauges!!! Then upgrade the fuel delivery system. Then add power.
3 - Fuel system, fuel system, fuel system. Many options, the tried and true are a FASS or a Walbro setup. Some (like me) get away fine with a Holley replacement pump and big-line kit, but think of this being immediately after you get gauges (have to know your starting point). Recommend boost, egt, and FUEL PRESSURE (add tranny temp if auto). Can't really think of anything else to "watch out for".

Good luck, hope you meet you soon, and most of all, have some fun! Oh yea, fill out your sig so folks can help you out better, upper left look for user CP. Welcome aboard!