1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Scalloped Planetaries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Question Scalloped Planetaries?

I was visiting a guy the other day who happened to have a 37RH transmission from behind a cummins apart. He was tearing it down because it was whining and had metal in the pan. The only thing he had found when I was there was this strange wavy pattern worn in the ridges of the planet gears on both planetaries. The edge of the profile at the ridge was kind of scalloped, or wavy, as well. The inside of the ring gears looked like they were brand new, and there was no debris of any kind in the ring gears.

I have never seen wear like that on a planetary assembly, but I have never worked much on automatic transmissions.

Is this common? I can't imagine how this wear would happen, unless the gear teath were flexing excessively under load. I have seen worn out planetaries, but they all had pretty even knife-edging and pitch lines at the root, nothing like this.

If anyone has experience with this, please share it. I'm curious now.

Thanks,

Alec
Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any pictures?? I don't follow where you are talking. Was it in the OD section or the main case? It was probably a 47 series tranny.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM

I see it was in the main case, I need to read more carefully!!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Sorry, no pictures . It was both planetaries in the main case. Each assembly had four planets FWIW.

If you imagine that the planets started as a cylinder, with teeth cut into the side, instead of the cylinder having a smooth, square side, the side was wavy, as though the cylinder had rings worn into it, running around the cylinder. Also, instead of the ridge of the teeth having a smooth profile (round over, or acme shaped, etc.) they looked more like a flint arrow-head, with waves worn smoothly in at an angle to the pitch of the gears.

Does that make any better sense?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty common on the older 46/47 series transmissions. Not enough planetaries in an aluminum cage. Usually thats what happens when a lot of towing is done. It chews up the sun gear then starts on the planetaries. Lack of service, too much heat, running low rpm's too much will destroy the planetaries. The Cummins just hammers the internals out after a while. Toss 'em and use the steel carrier and 6 pinion gears and they last a lot longer, especially in the OD section.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
txs
You can finish hob gear teeth but it takes forever
What machines have you been using?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
The Cummins just hammers the internals out after a while. Toss 'em and use the steel carrier and 6 pinion gears and they last a lot longer, especially in the OD section.
There is a little more than that involved, to put the 48RE stuff in the 47. I wish you could just throw a set of 6 pinion planetaries in there, but you need to change other parts too.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
There is a little more than that involved, to put the 48RE stuff in the 47. I wish you could just throw a set of 6 pinion planetaries in there, but you need to change other parts too.
what all needs to be changed? I have been seriously contemplating just that very swap... but I don't know what parts I need...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Of course you need to match the hard parts, but, they will fit without major modifications. Aside from billet shafts, the hard parts are the cheapest and easiest power upgrade you make to the transmission, 46 or 47 series.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Okay -- I think that the "scallops" I saw must have been from the manufacturing process then. I still don't get how they are formed in the hobbing process, though?

Thanks,

Alec
Old 04-12-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Durring the cyclindrical Hob process the blank (future gear) rotates on one axis (work head) and a cutter (Hob) rotates on another (Hob head) As the two axis spin at some determined speed based on many factors ( desired cycle times, material. diameter, dry or wet cutting, ect...) the work spindle speed and rotational position follows the hob head in a master - slave relationship at determined ratio.
If the spindle runouts open up (manufactured to <.00005) or The hob dulls. Tooling runout, positional errors (linier or rotational) occur, plus other posibilities it can leave the scallops you see in your pinions.
Often the scallops you see are .000030 or less in depth but depending on the application of the gear weather they are allowed or not.
Clear as mud?

http://www.gleason.com/cylindricalpr...machines/index.
snoop around here for more gear manufacturing info
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want better planetareis call rick at A & A transmisson 317-831-3066, he also has a 6 pinon front planet for the 727's im currently running a 5 front and 4 rear along with some other goodies, and you cant beat his customer service.

Zach