1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Recommended Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Maintenence

Is there any regular things that need to be done to these engines, other than filters and fluids like valve adjustments or timing chain inspections. My truck has 165 on it and so far has not caused any trouble and I would like to keep it that way, I would rather spend my time on regular engine maintenence than have to replace it.<br>Thanks,<br>Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Recommended Maintenence

Valve adjustments should be done at the first 24k then every 50k. Usually you can bump your adjustment intervals up higher if they look good at 50k after the last adjustment. Your engine does not have a timing chain. The cam, pump, crank, oil pump, and power sterring pump are all gear driven. No maintenince is required for the gears. Fuel filter every other oil change or at least every 10k miles. Another thing to take into consideration is fuel additive. I use a little with every fillup. Todays diesel is dryer than that of 10 years ago. I see alot of business for the fuel injection shops in the very near future. The rotary pump is very picky about lubrication since it is fuel cooled and fuel lubed. Any diesel additive will do fine. Be it Lucas, Power Service, Stanadyne, Howes etc. It is cheap insurance on a costly injection pump.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 PM

What is all entailed in a valve adjustment, easy, hard, basically is it worth it to take it to the ******* or is it pretty straight forward...<br>Thanks for the input.<br>Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 05:31 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as valve adjustments go it is fairly straight forward. Take a look at the following site, click on diesel engines and go to First Gen Trucks.<br>http://www.dodgeram.org/<br><br>I noticed that you have a 5 spd manual transmission in your truck, if it is the original tranny then it will be the getrag tranny. Most guys have added one extra quart of oil to the tranny which provides better lubrication to the gears.<br>---<br>Al
Old 04-18-2003, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the link.<br> Oil in the tranny? I have never heard of that. What kind of oil, and do you just leave it in there or do you do that just before change fluid?<br>Interesting...<br>Paul
Old 04-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Getrag 360 (5 speed) transmission takes 3.5 quarts of 5W30 Synthetic. Mobil 1 5w30 syn seems to be the preferred choice to put in. After you have filled the tranny up to 3.5 quarts. Fill it with an extra quart. Just take out one of the top bolts on the passenger side PTO cover and fill from there. The extra quart gives the input shaft better lubrication which equals longer life.<br><br>I usually change my tranny oil every year, more if you tow nonstop.<br><br>FWIW..When I bought the truck, the Getrag was filled with 90W gear oil. So, drain it as soon as you can and fill with Mobil 1 5W30 Syn. No telling what the previous owner ran in it.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the advice, that will be on the list of things to do next weekend...<br>Paul