1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Really weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Really weird

Ok, what would cause my truck to suddenly have a lot more power than I remember it having?, Now if I accelerate away from a stop the way I used to the tires will start to spin and chirp when it hits 2nd.

If I try to build a little boost at a stop the truck will lurch forward and the brakes have a hard time holding the truck at a stop.

If I accelerate hard from a stop I can feel the axle wrap because I can feel the shudder from when the pinion is off axis.

I am not complaining about it but I was wondering what could have slipped to make it do this?

Could my slipping torque converter start working again just before it is going to die on me?

Maybe my injection pump was sticking and it suddenly begin working again?

My fuel screw is about 1 turn from runaway, timing bumped, fairly new lift pump, its a dually with about #1000 tools and payload in the rear and oh yea, the tires have plenty of rubber on them.

At WOT I will get a light haze and then it will clear up by the time I let off the throttle.

My transmission needs to be rebuilt, slips when it is first put in gear.

It was no race truck before, but this increase is really noticeable.

For the last 6 months or so I have been driving it easy saving up money for a new transmission but that A-727 Torqueflite seems to be pretty indestructible, maybe my shoes have just worn out.

So what do you think?

Thanks Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
What makes you think your torque converter was slipping. About the only thing to slip is the stator one way clutch. Locked up it'd be a real dog at road speed and overheat. Free spinning you'd have a hard time geting rolling at all. It's possible to chatter, which you'd notice as a shudder when shifting.

Sounds like yer truck is running right for a change.

Maybe the belt blew off that big honking generator you have on it.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the fuel pin has been stuck and now it is working properly.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
My 91 is moody like that too. Never been able to figure it out. Some days it's ho hum another day at the office and other days it's hooray its the weekend. You can even hear it in the way the engine sounds. Real smooth and quiet, or gruff and noisy.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
My 89 motor does the same thuing...some days it rattle sand shakes and makes no power...other days it seems to be a smooth as silk and just gets up and goes.

Not sure what's going on since this can happen on the same tank of fuel, or even in the same day.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Mine makes the most power when it makes the most noise. Timing?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
My 89 motor does the same thuing...some days it rattle sand shakes and makes no power...other days it seems to be a smooth as silk and just gets up and goes.

Not sure what's going on since this can happen on the same tank of fuel, or even in the same day.
Mine is the exact same way. I can tell as soon as I start the truck how its going to run. Mine will sound snappy and fire off real quick and when it does that it will run great. Then the next time I start the truck it will fire up slower and not as snappy sounding. Throttle response when free revving is the way.

I have been wanting to send out my injectors for service but I have not gotten the chance yet. I thing it's got to be fuel related.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
What makes you think your torque converter was slipping. About the only thing to slip is the stator one way clutch. Locked up it'd be a real dog at road speed and overheat. Free spinning you'd have a hard time getting rolling at all. It's possible to chatter, which you'd notice as a shudder when shifting.

Sounds like yer truck is running right for a change.

Maybe the belt blew off that big honking generator you have on it.
Not slipping slipping but more like i am pushing through the converter, I do not have my trans fluid temp gauge or a tachometer installed yet to know for sure but hard driving seems to raise my coolant temperature where I don't think it should and then as soon as I am cruising the temps drop back to normal.

Jim
Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Administrator

I am just not sure but I think it transmission related, I think I have a lot of power, more that I realize but my torque converter is turning gobs of it into heat and my overkill cooling system is dissipating it without any complaints.

I tried to build a little boost in a McDonald's Drive Thru and it seems the stall speed is normal and holds the truck back until I hit a certain RPM and then the entire truck lurches and a loud bark like it just shifted into 2nd, by then I let up and did not push it any farther, best way to describe it is if I was doing a burnout and the transmission shifted into 2nd gear although I am pretty sure my tires are not spinning, yet the boost gauge dipped the same time the truck jumped??

Like my wastegate had been sticking open for the last few years and then it suddenly started working again, although I do not have one.

Pull out from a stop light normally and it shifts like it always used to but if you leave with a semi heavy foot it will launch hard and at about 35 mph it will bark and the truck will shudder like it just got hit with nitrous (like the shudder of sudden power).

I am going to take it to my Transmission shop tomorrow and see what they say, but first I am going to check my TV cable and make sure it is full of fluid.

Maybe something with the governor or something.

Ill have to get pictures for for you to see this.

Ill see if I can mount my HERO-2 video camera and go for a ride, this is hard to explain.

Other than this quirk, the truck runs fine.
So Weird
Jim
Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Sounds like the transmission is off
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane

I am going to take it to my Transmission shop tomorrow and see what they say, but first I am going to check my TV cable and make sure it is full of fluid.

Maybe something with the governor or something.
There shouldn't be any fluid in the TV cable.

guvner doesn't turn till the output shaft is turning.

I think maybe you stress tested yer tranny beyond it's limits.

Only clutch in the TQ is the stator clutch. If it slips you'll launch like a 1948 dodge with fluid drive. (yuk). If it's stuck, you'll overheat and be gutless at road speed. Usually if they slip under extreme torque, it feels like you lost the driveshaft only without the clang of metal on the road.

Isn't turbo bark caused by a sudden loss of fuel at high boost?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those 727's are super strong in my opinion. I made 400 at wheels with just a shift kit in trans. Plus at least 40 1/4 mile passes. I also towed heavy. Crazy
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=j_martin;3129841] If it slips you'll launch like a 1948 dodge with fluid drive. (yuk). QUOTE]

Funny, I've currently got my hands into 3 desotos with fluid drive Thy are pretty neat, but like trying to get an over-heated snowmobile up on the trailer

end thread hi-jack!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it getting cold out? lol My truck seems to run better when it's cooler out. It tows way better at night during the summer months. EGTs are down, and power is up!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cooler air=denser air=more power!

This difference in air temp hugely effects our gas turbines at work, rather shocking the change in output when the air temp (density) changes.

Kind of like a pre-cooler (VS intercooler) for the engine

Quick Reply: Really weird