1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ran out of fuel and don't know why

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran out of fuel and don't know why

I got my truck running again last weekend, after about 6 months of down time.
I took the fuel line off at the injector pump, pumped the lift pump lever until I got clean fuel and no air, then put it back on. After bleeding the injectors, it fired right up, and I thought everything was fine. I didn't let it run more than a few minutes, because I hadn't put the radiator and water back in it yet. Over the next few days I cranked it several more times, and every time it was perfect. Then, Sunday I put the water back in it and was going to just idle up and down the driveway a few times to see if I found any problems. After I had been running several minutes, (enough to build up a little more heat than the previous crankings, but still nowhere near operating temp.), it started dropping cylinders and just died. It apparently ran out of fuel.

So, I did the same thing again- took the line off, pumped it up with the lift pump, and tried to bleed the injectors. But now, I can't seem to get enough fuel out of the injector lines. And, if I turn it over a few seconds, I can go back and pump up the lift pump lever again for several pumps until it gets loose, like it has pressure on it.

The first startup was so easy, and it cranked perfect 3 or 4 times. But now, I don't have a clue what is causing this.
Anybody got any ideas?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Throw a fuel filter at it before you panic. It sounds like a supply side air leak, though. Try lightly pressurizing the tank to look for leaks.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 PM

I replaced the fuel filter before I ever tried to get it going, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I agree that it seems like an air leak, but it just seems odd that it pumped up and ran great, cranked perfectly 3 or 4 times, and held fuel for about a week. Then, it cranked great the time it died. But after maybe 5 minutes, it just acted like it ran out of fuel. Its like it lasted too long to have been a problem all along. It seems like something changed to cause it. Anyway, its still got me scratching my head.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you totally rule out the fuel filter, keep in mind that the truck has been sitting. If it grew any alge in the tank, that may have plugged your new filter. I'd suggest pulling it to see how it looks.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Well, I hate to shoot down another good theory, but I also had the tank off of the truck while it was down, and I drained it. I just put the tank back on and put new fuel in it last weekend, right before I tried to crank it. Of course, there was a little fuel ( maybe a couple of cupfulls) that I couldn't get out. But, when you take that and mix it with about 12 gallons of new fuel that I put in, I don't see how it could be a problem. Heck, even if the fuel that was left was pure sludge, when you dilute it in 12 gallons of clean fuel, I don't think enough could have gone through the filter to clog it up in about 10 minutes (total) of idling.
I still may look at the filter, just in case, but I really don't see how it can be the problem.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Check & clean the wiring connections at the shut off solenoid.
2. Check for 12 volts at the shut off solenoid with the key on.
3. Check for water in fuel. Remove fuel filter and dump the contents in a clear container and look for water at the bottom of the container. Refill filter with clean fuel and reinstall.
4. If the fuel filter was empty or less than 3/4 full check for lift pump manual lever to be in the "run" position.
5. Add 5 gallons of fuel to the tank aleviating the possibility of a broken wire from the fuel sending unit in the tank giving a false reading to the gauge. The gauge will show between 1/8 to 1/4 with a broken wire.