1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Possessed '92...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possessed '92...

My truck has been giving me some problems latley. The speedometer censor that attatches to a gear box in the back of the tranny keeps going out. Every three months almost on the dot my speedometer goes out and I replace this 50$ part and it works for another three months before going out again. Has anyone had this happen before? Its kind of getting old...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Hey Jordan! Glad you finally made a post! Don't forget to fill out your signature of your trucks stats and mods . Like i told you over the phone 30 mins ago. Try getting the sensor from Cummins of Dodge. None of this local auto parts junk
Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcowboy15
The speedometer censor that attatches to a gear box in the back of the tranny keeps going out.
I replace this 50$ part and it works for another three months before going out again. Has anyone had this happen before?

Way back in '92, in a two year period, we put a couple hundred thousand miles on a brand-new '92 2wd 5-speed.

Less than two weeks after the original purchase of this truck, the speedometer quit and the sender was replaced under warranty.

The Chrysler dealer wore the threads off the bolts, replacing those sensors.

We never had the speedometer to make a complete trip, without quiting.

We had to gauge our speed according to the tachometer and figure mileage according to a Veederroot hub-o-meter.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is out right now too
Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It's possible that the square hole in the reducer that drives the shaft of the sensor has become rounded and is prematurely wearing the edges off the square shaft, causing it to skip. Try a new reducer too, next time you change the sensor. Generally, a vehicle won't wear out more than a couple of those sensors through its lifetime, unless something else is causing it.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM

the entire gear box coming out of the tranny is brand new, so I don't think it's that. I'm just confused. I'm going to try and buy a new sensor from cummins and see how long that one lasts...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM

Hi all.
Newbee here.
I had the same problem and after going through 3 of those senders from my dodge dealer i found that the seal on the shaft was not very waterproof.
Take some good dielectric grease and fill the cavity of the sensor were it screws on.
Worked for me and it has been 3 years and still going.

I love my 91 dodge.
It aint pretty but gets the job done , besides it's a work truck.
D350 with a knapheid utility body and a versalift 34' insulated bucket.
You guessed it , i am an old sparky.
Been at it 30 yrs +.
Bought the truck with a flatbed on it at around 243,000 miles.
Switched everything over off of my 87 chevy 1 ton 4x4 which was nickle and dimeing me to death . Now has 382,000 on it and still running strong and no rust.
All original except for a new venture tranny and a rebuilt turbo which i thought was going bad but wasn't.
I hope to get 600,000 out of it.
Truck weighs over 7 ton and still gets about 14 to the gallon.

Glad to join the forum.
I am getting ready to reseal the bosch v pump and there is a lot of usefull information on here.

Let you know how it goes.

Tim
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM

Try unplugging the sensor wires and reach into the female side with a pair of needle nose pliers and give both of them a squeeze. Shoot both sides of the plug with electrical contact cleaner and get a wire brush in there if you can. After it all dries plug it back in and try it. I replaced several sensors and the adapter (90* piece coming off the side of the trans) and still had problems until I did the above maintenance on the wiring plugs. Worked perfect since (about 2 years now).
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

One possible cause of repeated VSS failure can be the Drive Pinion gear inside the tranny itself. If it is worn or has broken teeth, it can stick and grind off the shaft of the VSS or just simply not allow it to turn.
To check this, you must remove the speed sensor and then remove the U shaped clamp holding the Drive Pinion Gear Housing to the tranny. It will then pull straight out.
The gear is plastic and is a dealer only part.
If you need to replace it the best thing is to take the old one to the dealership with you,since they are made in various tooth counts and sizes.
If the Drive Pinion Gear Housing has a bur or is too gunked up internaly, it can also prevent the VSS shaft from turning..
Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Oh, and IF the gear is torn up, be sure to check the plastic worm gear ( you can reach in with a finger and feel it, but it can be sharp). If the drive gear is chewed up, odds are the worm gear is too...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:19 PM

Smile

not a fix but is real accurate GPS speed distance a lot of other things