1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Piston Lift Pump, Where?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piston Lift Pump, Where?

Howdy All,

I'm lookin' for all these parts, but especially the pump and fuel line.

Pump,Fuel Transfer P/N#3936320<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Gasket, Cover Plate P/N# 3639258 (2 required)
Tube, Fuel Supply P/N# 3914753 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Spacer, Mounting P/N# 3914284
Washer, Sealing P/N# 3963983 (2 required)

Cummins NI can have them drop shipped from the factory...

Scheid's has a pump in Effingham, but no fuel line (factory again)...

Anybody got the lowdown (and low price) on getting Cummins parts?

Thanks in advance,

Vinny
Old 11-18-2005, 11:48 AM

Get them from Cummins. Tell them you don't need all of it right away that way you don't get charged $10 for engine down shipment. Terre Haute Scheid told me the same thing, but wanted like $25 more than Cummins Midwest Indy. Just pay to have it shipped unless your Cummins shop is nearby. All in all should be no more than $200, well worth it too.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:22 PM

Howdy,

So you ordered it from Cummins Mid-states Power in Indy, and had it drop shipped direct to you?

I contacted Cummins Mid-States Power in Normal,IL and ordered it all just now...a little over $220 for everything tax included...and I spent the extra dough for the "engine down" service. Otherwise it wouldn't have been ordered until next week, and I definitely wouldn't have seen it for Tuesday's bombing day.

Normally, I like to do these things as painlessly as possible...but sometimes...that's just not possible.

Vinny
Old 11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the fuel line shows up I will be amazed. Mine took almost 2 months.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:33 AM

Hey Wanna,

Where'd you get yours?

Both of the Cummins dealers I talked to checked Cummins inventory by computer to see if they had them in stock, and they had a crapload of them. I forget exactly how many, but a bunch.

Mid-States had a better price...by just over 10 bucks, AND they had a better price on the fuel line too.

He said everything will be here tomorrow...now ya' got me worried.
I know better than to doubt you...

I'll post as soon as my goodies show-up and let you know if your right.

Vinny
Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by vinny
Howdy,

So you ordered it from Cummins Mid-states Power in Indy, and had it drop shipped direct to you?

I contacted Cummins Mid-States Power in Normal,IL and ordered it all just now...a little over $220 for everything tax included...and I spent the extra dough for the "engine down" service. Otherwise it wouldn't have been ordered until next week, and I definitely wouldn't have seen it for Tuesday's bombing day.

Normally, I like to do these things as painlessly as possible...but sometimes...that's just not possible.

Vinny
Yep some of it was shipped directly from Mid-states in Indy, and the some of it was shipped from one of their warehouses in Memphis,TN. I think I went ahead and payed engine down on the special order from Memphis, but I still received everything the next day. They always say that about it won't get picked or shipped etc til whenever, but it just depends on how busy the warehouse is etc, usually I wait, always have with Scheids, they'll tell me its gonna be a week etc, then I get a call from them the next day lol, we have your parts. So I suggest in the future save the engine down shipment, you might be surprised that you still receive it in no time. But I understand the want/need of NOW!!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Adminstrator-ess

I got mine from Cummins. The tube was on backorder. I think they had to make it. Hopefully they made a few dozen when they made mine.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:36 AM

Howdy,

The parts guy at Mid-States Normal said he wouldn't order it Friday (too late), and it wouldn't get ordered on Saturday either...he said they don't normally order until Tuesday.

Then he said it wouldn't drop ship directly to me, but to them. Then they would ship it to me. He said I wouldn't see it until the week after next .

I guess next time I'll take my chances and see how long it "really" takes.

Anyway,it's nearly Noon and I'm still waiting...

Vinny
Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry to hijack here, but I gather you gents are talking about taking a piston lift pump from a 2nd gen. truck and using it on a VE pump-equipped truck? I am curious about pressures. Does it need a regulator? What kind of pressures would you expect to see with this pump? I know it provides pressures well in excess of 30 psi into a P7100, but of course the overflow valve has control over that. Just curious.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-19-2005, 12:36 PM

Well,

Yes and no...

It is the same type of pump as the 2nd Gen Pump.

But, this one is constructed to deliver less pressure, specifically for the VE pump application by Cummins.

Vinny
Old 11-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Well,

It's Saturday night and no parts...

Called around 2:00pm and Mid-States Normal,IL told me their computers were down.
The guy on duty did tell me that the book they log all the parts orders in had a record of my order, and a PO number in it for my order which had to come back to them from Cummins...so I guess they got ordered.

I'm calling on Monday to tell them I don't think I should have to pay for "overnight" shipping when they arrive three days later.

So anyway, no idea if I get my fuel line yet or not Wanna...

Vinny
Old 11-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by torquefan
Sorry to hijack here, but I gather you gents are talking about taking a piston lift pump from a 2nd gen. truck and using it on a VE pump-equipped truck? I am curious about pressures. Does it need a regulator? What kind of pressures would you expect to see with this pump? I know it provides pressures well in excess of 30 psi into a P7100, but of course the overflow valve has control over that. Just curious.
Thanks,
Dave
The pumps are identical except for the pressure spring. Mine puts out 16 psi at idle, and will go as high as 18 psi in an engine braking situation. At cruise it runs 15-16 psi, at full power in 5th gear I can drag it down to 8 psi.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Could`nt a person bend thier own supply line? It does`nt look to hard to replicate. All you`d need is the tubing, a couple of lare fittings and a tubing bender and flaring tool....or am I out to lunch again??? :-)
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Space is real tight, and where are you going to get the banjo fitting? Somebody with good fab skills could make one, but unless you are in a major hurry it's more cost effective to wait for Cummins.