1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

oil on turbo...pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil on turbo...pics

take a look at these pictures and let me know if my turbo should look like this. I am mainly worried about the oil I see here. there was also some oil in the intercooler lines.

Notice the oil around the outside of the compressor wheel here:

and notice the oil around the compressor housing inlet here:

Let me know what you think. I cannot figure out where this oil could have come from.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you running a K&N or some other kind of oiled filter? Over oiling those can coat the compressor and cold pipes.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 AM

nope, just the stock air filer.

R
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whiskeyrichard
Let me know what you think. I cannot figure out where this oil could have come from.
There's only one place it can come from if your running a normal air filter. The turbo. Oil can and will leak around the sealing ring sometimes, the question is why. Is the sealing ring worn out? Is the drain plugged? Air filter clean? ETC.....

Oh, and the missing pieces of the compressor wheel in your pictures is for balancing purposes.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 AM

the sealing ring is that rubber gasket that the compressor housing seats against right?

I can try replacing that.

I did not check to see if the drain was plugged. Good thought. I'll go check that out.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Sounds like the center section is about to come apart. This is where your bearings, seals, shims, ect. are. If you are putting out enough oil to oil the intercooler lines down i'd check it real close. Is it smoking more than usual when it's warmed up and under boost? We just had a Cat engine do this and before we could get shut down from 70+ mph it unloaded almost 3 gallons of oil into the exhaust and the charge air cooler, talk about blowing smoke!!!
Good luck and hoping for the best.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM

yeah, that was my concern, that the thing was coming apart.

the truck does smoke more than I expected under boost, but I thought that was maybe because I was running B100 and it was a little cold outside.

I have another H1C that, while it has a lot more miles on it, looks to be in better shape. I think maybe I'll use that one instead.

Because of the delicate balance in these turbos, is the rebuilding of them better left to a shop, or is this something that can be done in the garage?

Russ
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
looks like your turbo seals are gone. Time for a rebuild. Mine was like that was well on my original 1989 turbo. The inside of the xover tube was caked with old black oil. BTW I'm still out of town until this weekend, Whiskey. Do you still want to meet up with the front timing cover gasket install?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 AM

Whiskey I have put cartridges in turbos on big trucks with some success, but I feel it's better to let a turbo shop do it since they can bead blast the wheels and most of them have a balancer to balance the assembly. Just my opinion tho. Good luck.