1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

not happy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not happy

Well I had my driveline rebuilt, front springs installed, and rear brakes done about 2 weeks ago. 3 separate shops. I took the driveline off myself and took it to the driveline guy so no problems there. I had a " reputable" shop in town do my front springs because I just don't have the time. When I pulled the springs out of the box I noticed a white strip on one side so I read the box and the instructions said to put the white stripe down. Both sides looked the same so I couldn't figure out why the white stripe went down. I crawled under the truck tonight for the first time to look at things and they put the white stripe up. Does this matter? Also it looks like there is a big rubber cup that goes over the top of the spring and I noticed on one side it's just kind of crammed in there and smashed in by the spring and isn't installed correctly. I need to get a manual for this truck . I don't have much trust for these shops. Also after my brakes were done on the rear ( everything new) the truck still didn't stop like it should. I took it back and they " adjusted" the rear brakes and it was the same. They blamed the oversize (upgraded) wheel cylinders and said that the master cylinder couldn't push enough fluid to move them. I was still having problems with my ABS light staying on and assumed it could be related.While I was under the truck I pulled out my brake spoon and re-adjusted the brakes myself and whoaaaaaaaaaaaa this baby stops on a dime and gives change now. Is there any such thing as a good shop anymore? I wouldn't consider myself to be a great mechanic but I'm better than these clowns. I keep telling myself that I don't have time to do my own wrenching.... but I also don't have time to keep taking my truck back 3 times everytime anything is done to get it corrected. I may have to dust off my rollaway and start doing my own work again.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Den

The springs I got had full coils on the bottom and a flattend/ground down top. On the bottom there is a pressed (contoured) section on the lower control arm and the coil can only really sit in there one way.

The set with the full coil top and bottom that went into CPs' truck, I didn't see any white lines so they went in the way they went in.

The rubber cushoin on the top slips over the top of the spring. They are a pain to keep on the spring correctly when installing them. I found that if you taped them they stayed put and made the install easier.

Den
Old 03-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Re: not happy

Originally posted by spunbearing
.......Is there any such thing as a good shop anymore? I wouldn't consider myself to be a great mechanic but I'm better than these clowns. I keep telling myself that I don't have time to do my own wrenching.... but I also don't have time to keep taking my truck back 3 times everytime anything is done to get it corrected. I may have to dust off my rollaway and start doing my own work again.
In a word, no. It's all about $'s anymore and getting vehicles through like cattle to make the few $'s on each one (or MANY $'s.)

People just don't care about their "name" anymore. When I grew up, Dad would spend more time than normal doing something right because you don't do anything to blacken the family name.

The world is so crowded anymore, a name means nothing, so most just screw others out of some $'s and go on.

No answer I'm afraid. Untill people have a reason to care about their name, reputation, work and customers, they'll just hack job it to get it done quick and move on to the next sucker.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
People just don't care about their "name" anymore. When I grew up, Dad would spend more time than normal doing something right because you don't do anything to blacken the family name.

wow! I thought I was the last one who thought that way
Old 03-10-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well for most part you guys are right, but i have a friend has a small shop here, and he is of the old breed ,,,very picky and does it right, plus he wont cheat you and is fair on prices,, if any of you live close to dallas may be worth your time.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
They blamed the oversize (upgraded) wheel cylinders and said that the master cylinder couldn't push enough fluid to move them.
My opinion of this response cannot be done justice in language allowable on this site. If you don't know what you are doing, there is no excuse to make up lies about it, too.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:53 AM

The first question I ask a shop now is how much to change the glow plugs. I have yet to find a shop that knows we dont have any, at that point I do it myself
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by rebal

wow! I thought I was the last one who thought that way
What I don't understand is as a shop or flat rate tech.,you get paid once to do the job and if it comes back for a problem you get to do it for FREE the second time and maybe just me but I hate working for free.I would rather watch the grass grow if I am not getting paid.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by 92DIESEL
The first question I ask a shop now is how much to change the glow plugs. I have yet to find a shop that knows we dont have any, at that point I do it myself
I'm going to have to remember this one, It's a classic
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 PM

I have to agree, every time I take something to a shop I am never satisfied and wish I would have just taken the time to do it myself. They either charge way too much or do a sorry job, and usually both. I try to do everything myself If I can, Nobody takes any pride in their work any more. It really is a shame.