1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No Reverse after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 12:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
The difference between your red and yellow dot heights before and after is a missing small wire ring.

The only way to get it back in there is with a hydraulic press, as that spring is massive.

AND, as stated above, you'll need a dummy shaft to keep the splines aligned inside the 2 hubs. I use a cut up intermediate shaft.

The heights of those 2 gears has to be even, as seen in your first picture.

This should bring your OD piston selective spacer measurment back to original, as I've never replaced one of those.

This is all tied in to your OD direct clutch pack, which is mechanically applied by that massive spring. Forward gears drive through this clutch and the OD sprag. Reverse only drives through the clutch and the sprag will freewheel. I bet you have some clutches burned up now(or missing)

If you downoad a transtar catalog, the snap ring you're missing is #866 (free downoad, they just want your email and fake company name) pg 111, diagram 22

-Mike

Old 05-24-2023, 07:58 AM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo6
The difference between your red and yellow dot heights before and after is a missing small wire ring.

The only way to get it back in there is with a hydraulic press, as that spring is massive.

AND, as stated above, you'll need a dummy shaft to keep the splines aligned inside the 2 hubs. I use a cut up intermediate shaft.

This should bring your OD piston selective spacer measurment back to original, as I've never replaced one of those.

This is all tied in to your OD direct clutch pack, which is mechanically applied by that massive spring. Forward gears drive through this clutch and the OD sprag. Reverse only drives through the clutch and the sprag will freewheel. I bet you have some clutches burned up now(or missing)

If you downoad a transtar catalog, the snap ring you're missing is #866 (free downoad, they just want your email and fake company name) pg 111, diagram 22

-Mike
Thanks Mike, I just couldn't remember if those gears where supposed to be the same or not.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo6

If you downoad a transtar catalog, the snap ring you're missing is #866

-Mike
That's a great diagram! Better than the ATSG and dodge book. Problem is, I'm not missing that snap ring. It's in and seated.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:31 PM

Fun fact of discovery today. The small snap ring on the sun gear assembly does NOT sit against the direct hub by design. Without the spring in, the sun gear will drop over 1/4" before hitting the snap ring seat. This leads me to conclude the direct hub is sitting high and not the sun gear low. Gonna add an extra clutch and see if that holds the direct hub down the amount I need.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, it's in there.

That leads to your next post, the direct clutch pack is much thinner than it should be.

Is it burned up already, or missing plates/friction discs?

There needs to be the same amount of discs and steels that came out of there before the rebuild.

The factory will put more or less plates/discs in there (and all the clutch packs) based on the engine torque. A V6 might have 5, ours might have 9+

Some performance mods will put in thinner steels, friction plates to add 1 or 2 extra in there. More friction surface area, as all the engine torque is driven through there.

Side note: all my side work rebuilds get a Trans-Go shift improver kit. It definitely helps in drivability and reliability.

You woud use the SK TFOD-Diesel kit, but the SK TFOD-Jr kit (for gassers) has a different way to measure for the OD piston spacer. Look on the transgo website>sk tfod-jr>documents for the install instructions, bottom of pg. 5

You can use this to double check your factory method of measuring the assembled case depth and selective shim choice....post #4, Figure 80 above.

Also, post #3, figure 17, that spacer is hopefully still on the intermediate shaft. It's work to get it off, and it's one thing i've never measured, removed or changed out.

Lmk

The following users liked this post:
ScubaSteveCA (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:19 AM

I don't think anything would be damaged as I only ran the truck at idle and for a few minutes in the driveway before realizing something was wrong.

So here's the problem: I've got 1st design pressure plates and 2nd design clutch steels. The math doesn't math. Going through my ATSG book, the total direct clutch stack is 1.209 and 1.210 for 1st and second design. My current configuration was 1.104" with 8/7, going to a 9/8 will get me 1.222". I've either got to order some .070 steels and put it in 8/7 configuration, or get/grind the pressure plate to an acceptable thickness to run 9/8 or 10/9 with my .055 steels. Mystery solved at least. Appreciate the help and input.

The following users liked this post:
Sheep Herder (05-25-2023)