1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Newbie saying hi, seeking 93

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie saying hi, seeking 93

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while, figured it's time to jump in.

I've been reading back-posts for a couple months, this is a fantastic forum, congrats to y'all.

When I found this place I only THOUGHT I wanted an 1st gen Cummins, now I KNOW I need one of these trucks.

So now I'm shopping for a:

93 3/4ton 4x4 club cab
Cummins w/auto

How many of these were part of the LE package? I need all of these: A/C, cruise control, power windows and locks, tilt wheel

Really don't want black or red, but I might paint the right truck.

Needless to say, finding one of these trucks in excellent condition has been tough, and when I find a good one, it is too pricey:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=526

Hope that link worked, it is a 93 for $14,000. Just can't bring myself to pay that much. There is another in Oregon for 10k that looks very nice, but a salesman on the phone told me it had 130k on it but when I ran a vin# check it shows 173k when check into dealer inventory.

173k isn't bad, (I'd rather see 125K or less) but being lied to on the phone rules out that truck.

I see them all the time here in Utah, not for sale, going down the road with some huge ole horse trailer, coupla' big bales in the back, two dogs on top, half a dozen rug rats inside, and a good ole boy behind the wheel watching it tick over 400 or 500k.

Great trucks.

I am also camper shopping, does anyone have their weight #'s broke down by axel? I'm concerned about the weight ratings of the rims, these are 15" stock I take it? I saw someones weight in a 93 at about 6200lbs, I'm wondering how much on the rear with a 4x4 auto.

Wish me luck folks, thanks for any advice, and again, great forum.

There is a good sounding 93 in the classifieds here, OLD93, YOU HAVE MAIL!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, nice truck in the link, but i agree $14k seems high. The rims on 250's are 16" stock, 15" wont go over the front calipers without some creative grinding(trust me I speak from experience).
Old 07-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine is an LE. I got it used and don't have the window sticker. It has everything you asked about EXCEPT cruise. You can see mine in my member pics, I got it off Ebay out of Texas last year for ~$4,600. Not the nicest, but a clean, rust free truck that runs and drives good.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Flake
Welcome, nice truck in the link, but i agree $14k seems high. The rims on 250's are 16" stock, 15" wont go over the front calipers without some creative grinding(trust me I speak from experience).
if you get 2.5 inch back spacing wheels 15's will fit without grinding. but then there goes wheel bearings if you drive it a lot.

i shopped around for about a year for a 92-93 with an extra cab and 5 speed and never found anything worth a ****.

ended up with whats in my sig about 2 months ago and couldnt be happier with it.

jiMMy
Old 07-05-2004, 10:54 AM

I had the same problem. When I first started looking for a 1st gen they were everywhere. I wanted a 4x4 extended cab. I bought one and it ran sweet. I had a diesel mechanic look it over before I bought it. I got about 20 miles away the next day bringing it home and the injector pump went out. :0( The guy I bought it from was a handicapped vietnam vet and the poor guy drove out in his other first gen and waited with me on the freeway until my tow truck showed up. He felt so bad he offered my money back. We put it in the shop to figure out what was going on before I made any decisions. The shop said that it needed a new pump and that the injectors probably had metal particles in them and they recommended a $1600 fix. So I ended up taking my money back... I lost a week of work over that deal. As far as I know they didn't make a first gen club cab. The club cab is the larger cab I think. I have a friend in town that has a first gen extended cab dually that has 85k miles or so on it. He had the injectors and pump etc. done on it not long ago. He's asking $10,000 for it. I'll keep my eyes out for you.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:40 PM

You need to be dogged. Check all of the online sites every day. Check your local papers, sometimes you get lucky.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Good to hear 16" rims are stock, does anybody know the weight rating of those rims off the top of your head?

Sounds like I'm seeking an LE with cruise, I have to be picky about the creature comforts, they are a main reason why I am upgrading from my 83 318 van.

Thanks for the offer, Spunbearing, but please, no duallys. It is tempting, my truck will get a camper, but off-road those duals seem to be a hassle, and I plan to explore many of the thousands of miles of dirt in Utah.

I just put 300 all dirt miles in my van a couple weeks back, southern Utah is one big playground.

If someone has strong feelings about duals versus singles off-road, please share your thoughts.

Dogged is the word Pete, I found a few more good prospects, nothing local.

There seems to be a lot of these trucks for sale in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, looks like I may be going north.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:49 PM

I was looking for the same truck a while back and came across a few decent 1-owner club cab 4x4 auto's for under $8,000...most of them had a few blemishes in the body, or interior, or something small & replaceable... I'd keep my eyes out if that's what your set on. They hard to come by. I ened up giving up on the my search, then found my truck at the right price, and couldn't be happier...

I take that back, if it were 4x4 I'd be happier, haha

good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:55 PM

Talking First gen's.......

Hey there Don H, I can feel for you I looked for over a year to find the truck I wanted........And these things seem to be worth whatever someone is willing to pay, I wanted a VERY CLEAN one and I paid for it, but if you dont mind some higher miles and some imperfections there is plenty available.......Good luck on the search.....Canucktrucks