1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NEWBIE Q's about making more power

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWBIE Q's about making more power

New to the Cummins. I have an 07 and my son has a 91 12 valve intercooled automatic. He wants more power and I know he has his heart set on some stacks in the bed and making some smoke. But, I really don't want to go inside this auto tranny right now. Simple question: can we both have what we want? More power and some smoke for him and and a stock auto that has a chance to survive awhile for the finance dept.(me). Secondly if these two goals are compatible how would YOU go about making the added power?
What kind of HP goal is reasonable? And what's the best way to get there? Don't be shy as I really value your opinions and experience. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Welcome,I would start reading through the "sticky" about pump.Increasing fuel,advancing timing,etc.,alot of stuff you can do without spending a dime
Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Turn the pump up.(its in the sticky)

Aftermarket Air Filter

Be sure to get some gauges, you want to keep an eye on everything.

Welcome to the diesel world, Glad to have you here
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I have been reading a little on the fuel pump, turning the fuel screw, the smoke screw and something called the star wheel and have also read about fuel pin grinding and a governor spring for higher RPM. I guess most of those mods are relatively inexpensive and not too hard to perform compared to other things like changing injectors or turbo housings. Supposing we turned up the fuel as has been suggested; what kind of HP numbers are we looking at? I was hoping some of you might comment on the auto tranny being able to handle the added power. I'm sure it has a lot to do with how you treat it. My son is 17 years old and perhaps tends to drive a bit harder than I would. Keep the good info coming and I will continue to do my homework. Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by AZ/DC
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I have been reading a little on the fuel pump, turning the fuel screw, the smoke screw and something called the star wheel and have also read about fuel pin grinding and a governor spring for higher RPM. I guess most of those mods are relatively inexpensive and not too hard to perform compared to other things like changing injectors or turbo housings. Supposing we turned up the fuel as has been suggested; what kind of HP numbers are we looking at? I was hoping some of you might comment on the auto tranny being able to handle the added power. I'm sure it has a lot to do with how you treat it. My son is 17 years old and perhaps tends to drive a bit harder than I would. Keep the good info coming and I will continue to do my homework. Thanks

You might want to add a extra Tranny cooler to keep the temp down once the power start creating more heat in the T/Q.

I would start with gauge first and see what kind of boost and especially pyro temp you have before you start mod's

Flash
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Turn the '91 up until you can get 1200 degrees on the pyro. Do the 3200 RPM spring too, it makes the truck feel a lot peppier without actually adding any power. Set the smoke level with the smoke screw, when he gets tired of buying fuel he'll ask you to turn it back some. Don't let him get bigger injectors or change the turbo. That will keep the trans in one piece for you and still give him more power.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 PM

With the mods listed, you will be near 230hp. Like Ol 93 says, get gauges first, so you can see where the truck is at, first. Your trans should stay around 180* empty and approach 200 loaded. If you get more heat than that, lay off the smoke pedal. Memorize all the "stickys" These guys know their stuff.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Welcome to the" Slippery Slope" Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM

We are going to start with gauges. A pyro, boost and tranny temp. Who makes a pod to mount all three? Is dash top or A pillar the preferred location. Also, what about a tach? It will be awhile before we can get all this done so will be back with more Q's later. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Everything that they said.

Start with guages. You don't want your son and truck to be the next thread of "I witnessed a 1st gen go down in flames today"...

Westach combo guages will fit 2x the guage in the same pod space. If you don't mind playing airplane piliot and keeping track of the dual needles .
These wil fit into a 2 pod dash mount (like from Geno's) or get an A pillar where I think you cab get a 3 holer.

Get Pyro (with boost) and temp for the tranny. My tranny did fine until I tow/haul and the it spiked to 225+* but then I'm not a teenage hotrodder either.

I added a tranny cooler with fan that solved the problem. A deep case pan may help some too but not as much as the remote cooler I hear.

Teach him to change his own filter, fluids and watch his temps and his tranny should do OK. Remember I'm talking from a 43 year old point of view not a teenager anymore . Course a lot depends on how the PO treated the tranny...