1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New K&N Airfilter installed>>>Turbo Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New K&N Airfilter installed>>>Turbo Question?

Just got done installing my new K&N Airfilter. And yes I can tell the difference. Thanks to everybody that gave me advice on the K&N. Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I thought I would also be able to hear the turbo better. Or is the Dodge turbo's just that quite? I've notice on some trucks you can hear the turbo real good and on some you don't. My is one that you don't hear all that much. Is there a reason for that?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:35 PM

Re:New K&N Airfilter installed>>>Turbo Question?

One word,,,Air box. OK, that's two words but you get my drift.
The air box's they put on our rigs including cars, trucks, snowmobiles, watercraft, motorcycles, ect, are designed to keep the intake noise at a minimum. Some people don't like it.
I can't imagin why, they must be sick or a bunch of tree huggers. All that evil air box noise will kill a forest and a few killer whales. Maybe if you suck a spotted owl into it you might realize a power loss. But all you gotta do is stop and throw him on the exhaust manifold and he'll be ready to eat when you get home.
SO,, if you want to hear it whine, open up the box.

Dave
Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 PM

That's what I figured. This may sound like a silly question, but what suggeations are there for opening up the air box and at the same time keeping the air filter sealed? ???
Old 11-18-2003, 09:13 PM

I can't say this is the right way, but I drilled about 10 rows of 1/4" holes in the front and bottom of the box. They're spaced an inch apart. Can I hear the turbo? Nope. I also "lost" the muffler. Now I can almost hear the radio.
Pat
Old 11-18-2003, 09:20 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing but I'm thinking of taking a 1" inch hole saw and drill a series of 1" holes around the air box. Has anybody else tried this and did it work? I would hate to mess up a good air box to find out it didn't. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a good used air box to experiment on. Maybe the junk yard will have a wrecked 93 I can get one off of.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:39 PM

If Pastor Bob sees this he could tell ya more about it. When I was at Piers a while back he was going to show me his, (air box that is ), but we ran out of time.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:40 PM

just remove the air box, use the end flange to hold the filter. you'll hear the turbo then ;D
Old 11-18-2003, 10:00 PM

From my continuing quest to get more turbo whine, I have found the stock rubber intake hose to be a major offender as far as muffling the turbo. Tried destroying the stock air box first, but still very little noise. I replaced the stock hose with a 4" PVC elbow and a K&N similar to the stock one but with a clamp-on end. It is about 3' from the turbo. Now you can hear it MUCH better. Personally, I like the intake whine better than the exhaust side. Used to drive a truck that had a 1693 TA Caterpillar in it. Now that made some turbo noise!! Man, what a motor! Jim
Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 PM

[quote author=country link=board=9;threadid=22582;start=0#msg211246 date=1069213210]
just remove the air box, use the end flange to hold the filter. you'll hear the turbo then ;D
[/quote]

Ahhh, but ya can't do that on a '93 because it doesn't have the threaded rod to hold the filter to the cover. :'(

Sean
Old 11-18-2003, 10:12 PM

[quote author=GaCamper link=board=9;threadid=22582;start=0#msg211239 date=1069212058]
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I'm thinking of taking a 1" inch hole saw and drill a series of 1" holes around the air box. Has anybody else tried this and did it work? I would hate to mess up a good air box to find out it didn't. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a good used air box to experiment on. Maybe the junk yard will have a wrecked 93 I can get one off of.
[/quote]

When I was running a K&N in the stock airbox I took things a bit further and went at it with a 4" hole saw. Put one hole in the front side and another facing rearward. It did make a difference in the turbo whine. However, it pales in comparison to the sound created by an HX35 with no silencer ring, even with the BHAF that I'm running now. But that'll change soon ;D

Sean
Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Chapter President

I seem to hear the turbo whine just fine with the K&N in the stock air box.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 PM

I too took a 4" hole saw to my air box. One in front, one on top, and one just behind that. I tried to stay forward as much as possible. I am now working on moving my turn signal/park lites into the grill (and make it look good) and convert the old lite into an air scoop for the box. You know,, ram air. I did some checking and right in front of the grill is a very high pressure area.
2manydogs, I also used to run a 1693 Cat. It was in a 69 KW conv. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in this area could out pull it. Before it was retired I ran it over the road and i could get up to 7 MPGs. A friend still has one and let me drive it last summer. There is nothing that sounds like it, nor pulls like it. I remember racing a friend with a Monte Carlo ( I was bobtail) and he couldn't keep up. Not bad for a 19,000lb rig.

Dave
Old 11-19-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy at school showed me his air box in his 92 there was more hole than box in that truck. He said it really helped with air flow, he was running a stock fleetguard turned up pump and no muffler.

I'm Just a young punk but I'll agree that 1693 is one pulling mother, got to drive one in an old KW two summers back. I'm spoiled now I get a 600 3406E with an 18spd in a 2000 KW T800 lots of power but theres nothing like a little an old mechanical engine that pushes back on the pedal when you stomp on it, oh and I'm kinda fond of the smoke those old 1693s could dish out ;D. As far as the air box noise killing spotted owls, let em die.

Paws
Old 11-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took out the intake runner from the front clip to the filter and hogged out the intake hole on the filter box to about twice the size. Didn't give alot of turbo noise, but you can sure hear the flutter/surge with the 12cm housing..LOL...

I didn't want to suck air from near the engine and keep all the air coming in from the front so I didn't go the route of the hole saw, rather with the jig saw..

J-eh
Old 11-19-2003, 07:44 AM

hdm48- So, I'm not the only one spoiled by that engine!! There was a trucking outfit here ( dirt haulers) that had 4 or 5 of them. The Boss wouldn't let you run CB's and if he saw you smoke it through the gears you were out of a job!! Mine was a 78 KW cabover. Ran over Donner Summit to San Leandro, CA. and back. There was nothing out there that would get me on the way back up eastbound. If I was rich, : I'd find one just to HEAR it and watch the SMOKE!! Jim

Quick Reply: New K&N Airfilter installed>>>Turbo Question?