1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need VE pump help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need VE pump help!

I recently purchased an 89 dodge with a cummins. It ran great but had a fuel leak out the rear of the IP. I removed it and replaced the rear distribution block orings and copper washers and removed the top and replaced the accelerator oring and the oring between the two halves. When I reinstalled it, it wouldn't crank or smoke. After reading for awhile, I found the problem. The shut off lever wouldn't move. I removed it and tore it apart. Never really figured out how it was supposed to go together, but kept messing with it until the shut down lever worked. I reinstalled it and tried to crank it again. Once again no crank and no smoke. I checked the shut down lever and it is hung up again. What would cause this? I figure that I probably didnt put it back together right, but I don't understand why it worked and now it is stuck again. Do i just need to get a new one? Not really wanting to spend alot of money, I've got as much in a new radiator, all new filters and fluids, a o ring kit, gaskets and thermostate and hoses as I gave for the truck. Oh, and the truck is a piece of crap! lol

Thanks
Trey
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Originally Posted by vctowpig
Oh, and the truck is a piece of crap! lol
Trucks work better when you LOVE them.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
Trucks work better when you LOVE them.
LOL! I bought a motor! It just happened to come wrapped in a truck! I'm gonna swap this motor into a project truck, but wanna get everything lined out before I do the swap. Gonna drive it for awhile first to "get to know" the engine first and fix any problems I find. Once the motor is out, i'm gonna scrap the truck.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Sorry I had to pick on ya a little. The bottom half of the pump is uncharted territory for me, my only serious contribution is: are you sure the leak was from down low? Not possibly dripping from the vent tube?

You said "no crank, no start". Do you mean the engine isn't even being turned by the starter?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 PM

The engine will turn over, but will not start.

Thanks
Trey
Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 PM

i am having the same problem
new reman pump ran for 20 miles
and now no crank and no smoke
i pulled the fuel satey shut off
out and gutted it. still no start
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 PM

did you bleed injectors? or how much fuel is coming out of the injector lines? is it just a small pulse or a high pressure stream?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 AM

Here is some Bgilbert wisdom.

Yep, pull the top off again. Look close to see if you got the throttle levers sliding ball properly inserted into the control collar that slides on plunger. It's been awhile since I've been inside a VE book or inside one so my terminology might be off a little. But I once had the same issue when rebuilding a pump. Got it all back together and the shutdown lever was very hard to push back. Almost stuck in place. It's all in the balancing act of reinstalling the high pressure head with springs, plunger and collar. Then trying to get the ball of the throttle levers properly in the control collar.

Picture. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...7&postcount=55

I had this same problem and it turned out to be what was described above.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by soggy
Here is some Bgilbert wisdom.

Yep, pull the top off again. Look close to see if you got the throttle levers sliding ball properly inserted into the control collar that slides on plunger. It's been awhile since I've been inside a VE book or inside one so my terminology might be off a little. But I once had the same issue when rebuilding a pump. Got it all back together and the shutdown lever was very hard to push back. Almost stuck in place. It's all in the balancing act of reinstalling the high pressure head with springs, plunger and collar. Then trying to get the ball of the throttle levers properly in the control collar.

Picture. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...7&postcount=55

I had this same problem and it turned out to be what was described above.
I wrecked the IP on my 89 motor when I removed the head to replace the big O-ring. When I tried to line everything back up with the plates and springs and the little thrust washer that goes between the piston head and the cam plate popped out of it's seat. It shattered and cracked my piston head when I started cranking it over.

It could be as stated above...the control collar coming loose from the lever. I spent weeks trying to figure out my problem and eventually I had the top off and drained most of the diesel out of the pump and I was looking down into the pump when I spotted the little pieces of metal sitting in the bottom of the case....I then knew I had a serious problem. Bought another 89 pump...tore it down to bare parts, re-assembled the pump...in stalled it and the motor fired within 12 cranks!!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM

I did bleed the injectors. Not sure how much was coming out but the area around the injectors was wet with diesel.

Thanks
Trey
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM

I did bleed the injectors. Not sure how much was coming out but the area around the injectors was wet with diesel.

Thanks
Trey
If you were getting a good strong injection pulse then you should have diesel spraying all over the engine compartment. If it's just wet and dribbling out then you probably have one of the issues mentioned above.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Ok, got the pump off and the sliding ball was not in the collar.

Decided since I had it off again, to go ahead and replace all of the o rings. Unfortunately, some one over tightened just about all of the screws on the pump (i think its a refurb pump), and I cant get the control valve out. I don't think it was leaking from there, but wouldn't mind changing out the orings. When I put the 10mm wrench on it, it deformed it and put small cracks in it and showed no signs of breaking lose. Any suggestions? Just leave it alone? Also, do I need to remove the vent tube to replace anything in it?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 PM

Bill saves the day again! It's about the most frustrating thing ever when you put a pump back together and it won't start. Especially when you're trying to make it to an event in the morn.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Ok, got the pump off and the sliding ball was not in the collar.

Decided since I had it off again, to go ahead and replace all of the o rings. Unfortunately, some one over tightened just about all of the screws on the pump (i think its a refurb pump), and I cant get the control valve out. I don't think it was leaking from there, but wouldn't mind changing out the orings. When I put the 10mm wrench on it, it deformed it and put small cracks in it and showed no signs of breaking lose. Any suggestions? Just leave it alone? Also, do I need to remove the vent tube to replace anything in it?
Man that sucks about the control valve not coming loose. I would say let it sit with some PB blaster or other penetrating fluid for a day or two and try again. You could leave it alone for now I guess. There is nothing in the tube that needs to be replaced. There are O-rings under the KSB though.