1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Manual automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual automatic?

Anyone running a manual valve body and how do you like it? After reading the posts about early shifting, seems like a manual valve body would be nice on a play only truck. I don't know how the u-joints will like that. I am running a Suncoast valve body with the TV cable as far as it will go and it still shifts early and of course, the 366 spring only worsens it. I am ordering a new converter and that will again change the shift points, right?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a little off topic but ive heard of old drag racers running clutches infront of their automatic. crazy hard shifts
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MBolivar
Anyone running a manual valve body and how do you like it? After reading the posts about early shifting, seems like a manual valve body would be nice on a play only truck. I don't know how the u-joints will like that. I am running a Suncoast valve body with the TV cable as far as it will go and it still shifts early and of course, the 366 spring only worsens it. I am ordering a new converter and that will again change the shift points, right?
Same problem, different solution......

I bent a Z into the part of the TV cable that attaches to the throttle linkage.
Then I adjusted the Z shape until the tranny shifted where I wanted it to at WOT - ~ 3200 - 3300 rpm.

I just live with the early shifting at light or part throttle.

OR I manually shift it
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't need a manual valve body. Only to keep it from shifting down right?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
this is a little off topic but ive heard of old drag racers running clutches infront of their automatic. crazy hard shifts
That would be the cluchflite. Banging gears with one of those breaks parts, so I hear..........
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by unixcowboy
Same problem, different solution......

I bent a Z into the part of the TV cable that attaches to the throttle linkage.
Then I adjusted the Z shape until the tranny shifted where I wanted it to at WOT - ~ 3200 - 3300 rpm.

I just live with the early shifting at light or part throttle.

OR I manually shift it
Cowboy, you got any pics?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM

got a manual in my 82. lot of fun. got enough power that in normal driving only use high gear. only ones i have ever used would not hold back in low gear. could be a problem if one towed. over the years my son and i have probably put 130-140k on various chry vehicles with manual valve bodies with no problems
Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MBolivar
Cowboy, you got any pics?
Thought I did, but not...

When it stops raining I'll get a couple
Old 10-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Couldn't get real good focus on the Z'd portion but you can see where it's bent and get an idea.

Right now it's 47* and a lite drizzle.
When ( IF ) it clears a little, I'll try my macro lens and see if I can add a closeup of just the Z'd part.
Attached Thumbnails Manual automatic?-tv-z.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Thanks for posting that pic. I'm wondering if I should put the throttle linkage back to the original outside hole on the lever. Wouldn't that change the travel geometry of the TV cable also? I read some users have put a small bolt in the TV cable slot to close up that small gap so the throttle bell crank pushes it sooner.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 AM

When I installed my 3200 gov spring I checked the total travel of the throttle lever inside the top.
I had been reading about the idle going up after the install and reasoned that the spring was pulling the gov more than the stock spring - so -
I adjusted the throttle lever so it was pointing straight at the gov attachment - you know, that pesky top hat that everyone drops

Then I watched the hash marks on the outside so I knew where to set the lever for min, and how far it would rotate for max.

I adjusted my linkage so I had full travel which made me back off the high idle screw completely and the low idle only has 1 or 2 threads showing.
When I still couldn't get full travel with the linkage adjustment I started 'modifying' the cable connection to the pedal. The throttle cable pivot has a piece of metal underneath that stops the pivot from going very far. After I removed that, I had ~ 1/2" more travel.....
All those changes made the TV move waaayyyy too soon and waayyy too far - even with it as far out as it would go - the opposite end to normal adjustment...Full throttle would never shift until you let off a little and then it would slam into the next gear. NOT a good idea.

So I bent the tv rod and played with the cable adjustment until I got it to shift at ~ 3200 - 3300 rpm through the gears.
Throttle on the floor and I lock out OD and get 1 - 2 shift ~ 30 - 32 mph and 2 - 3 ~ just under 60 mph then I hit the OD at ~ 80 mph....