24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Automatic vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic vs Manual

I am looking to buy a used doge cummins diesel, and I was womdering if it would be better to buy one with an automatic or a manual. I probably not planning on doing tons of towing, i just love the sounds and smell of a diesel. The only big thing I'm worried about is buying one with an auto and then a couple mioes down the road it goes out. How much would it cost to get re-built, and would the new parts out last if you rebuild it with aftermarket parts. Plus I was wondering if there is any advantages - disadvantages to both of them.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Automatic vs Manual

Don,t have an auto mines a 5 spd only problem I have had is the 5th gear went out. Thats pretty common on the trucks that haul a lot. Most of the guys I know dont like the autos because they dont hold up well if work the truck hard without enforcing the trans. If you do a lot of in town driving you will get tired of shifting tho. Thats my opionon the trans issue welcome to the site. The lazy guys that drive autos could help you on the auto problems more than i can
Old 10-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Lazy?<br>Lazy? &gt;<br><br>Well, I decided to get an auto for the following reasons.<br><br>1- Had to drive in construction while I-15 was being rebuilt for 4 years with a standard, got very, very tired of shifting.<br>2- Getting old, knee's aren't what they used to be, they got tired of shifting.<br>3- Racing, I want to smoke the ricers, you can't as easily with a standard as you can with an auto due to the loss of boost while shifting with a standard, boost stays up with an automatic.<br>4- No one in my family can drive a standard, in an emergency I might need someone other than me to drive it.<br>5- I currently have nothing to tow, and with the payments I'm making on the truck, won't be able to get anything to tow till after I upgrade the transmission anyway.<br><br>After I got the truck, I found this site and learned I would be rebuilding the auto once I started B.O.M.B.ing the truck, I plan on putting 3 to $4,000.00 into it in a couple or years.<br>I want to let the warranty play out a bit before I start bombing.<br><br>Just get what you feel comfortable getting, and ENJOY!<br><br><br>phox
The following users liked this post:
Danny Bekesi (10-19-2020)
Old 10-28-2002, 06:13 PM

i have a 99 quad cab longbed with a 5 speed and 4:10 gears. even with 315/75 tires i take off in 2nd no problem. phox was saying somthing about the boost dropping with a stick shift. never really noticed much of a drop. All depends on if you like shifting or not. If you find a truck with the 4:10 rear you wont be shifting much anyway ;D <br> I had a 2000 3500 4x4 auto the trans gave out at 42k didnt really tow or haul much with that truck either
Old 10-28-2002, 07:35 PM

I drove a manual for 7 years. Waaaay more than enough shifting for me! This is now my second auto since that truck. Guess I am lazy! ;D Get whatever makes you most comfortable! Besides, how else are you supposed to drink a soda and yap on your cell phone if you have to worry about shifting?? ;D <br><br>Tony
Old 10-28-2002, 07:45 PM

I thoroughly agree with you Tony. I mean, how am I suppose to move my tray and shift? Fries anyone?
Old 10-28-2002, 07:59 PM

LMAO... that's awesome! Scotty must make that!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:26 PM

I was concerned about this when I was looking. Seemed that it would take about $3200 to make an auto solid. On the other hand, given the fifth gear problems, fixing them with the full spline shaft and new gear, plus whatever else was loose in the gearbox, plus a an upgraded clutch, would eat up $1500 - $2000, depending on parts and how much wrenching I hired out.<br> My conclusion in the end was they were both expensive to fool with, and having no strong preference, determined to buy the bestest truck conditionwise for the leastest money and whichever transmission it had was what it had. Wound up with the manual, which I did want more, but looking at autos gave me a lot more trucks to look at.<br><br>Good luck,<br>Rob
Old 10-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=4;threadid=6344;start=0#58601 date=1035855946]<br>I thoroughly agree with you Tony. I mean, how am I suppose to move my tray and shift? Fries anyone?<br>[/quote]<br><br>hahhaa. That's classic! Where do you come up with this stuff?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 PM

Works good on the Mass Pike.....it's pretty straight. Off ramps are h3ll though!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:34 AM
KC

I bought my current Dodge used and I was worried about the same thing. I looked at my truck (below) and another 01 with a 5 spd. Both drove very nice. I talked to some friend in Chelse MI at the Chrysler Proving Grounds. They told me the Auto's today are much better then they used to be, just follow the maintenance book. To help I plan on using Amsoil in the trans.<br><br>Good Luck<br><br>KC
Old 10-29-2002, 11:27 AM

My 98 was a 5sp with a 4.10. My previous truck was a Toyota ( ducking as I say this) Nah it was a great truck. It was also a manual. I've never had a problem with the manuals <br><br>My 02 is an auto. Now it wasn't my idea to get an auto. I'm not totally against it. Although, what's the deal with this OD button. Couldn't they come up with something better than a button. OH well. <br><br>Now as for my comparison. The 5 sp with the 4.10 seemed to have a bit more, ok a lot more get up and go. Contrary to popular believe it moved quicker than my auto. but, we're not on a race track are we I never had any problems with my 98 but it was only 4 yrs old and had less then 50,000 miles on it. My 02 auto has maybe 3500 miles on it and so far so good. Just again that darn button. Just one more thing for me to remember to do. The 02 ,which we finally got around to hooking the trailer up to, doesn't seem to pull the same. It does a great job don't get me wrong it just seems different. Now that could be because of the auto or probably because it's 4/4. Perhaps just because it's an &quot;02&quot; I don't really know. <br><br><br>I'd say buy which ever is gonna make you happy. Do you want to shift all the time? Personally it made driving fun for me. <br><br> Advantages for the auto = No Shifting!<br> Advantages for the manual = No OD button!<br><br>Sorry I couldn't tell you about rebuilding cost or anything.<br>Good Luck<br>thumper
Old 10-29-2002, 01:00 PM

A guy I know has a 2500 diesel w/ and auto and he has 93,000 on it know and he has been using it for snow plowing a lot, and its still holding up fine... So it really sounds like most autos last a while, and some take a crap early on in the game....<br><br>Well I have another question I was looking at bd-performance website and I was wondering if you added the pressure loc transmission kit, or the torque loc transmission controls, woukd you be able to extend the life of an automatic?
Old 10-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Trannies- a great source of flame wars!<br><br>I just have some experience with a shot auto (combination of the wrong fluid , overfilling, general neglect of the pre-owner and a slightly modified engine)<br>and<br>a DTT tranny as seen in my sig. Since I've been thinking about this some time before making my decision I may tell what I thought:<br>I do not like the concept of the pressure loc- I prefer a valvebody- or a shift kit. AFAIK the pressure loc just acts when you are locking the TC. In any other situation the tranny is stock. Mine was slipping in 2nd and 3rd gear when shot- not when the TC was locked in OD or D. So in my case the pressure loc would have been useless. I do believe that the stock auto will take a lot of abuse if maintained properly. ( I think that a lot of dealers won't do band adjustments- and a lot of people will drive with a slipping tranny till it breaks)<br>If you BOMB the engine, you'll have t take care of the rest of the drivetrain. And the brakes, and the shocks etc. <br>So before stepping from my soapbox- go drive a manual and an auto, maybe a bombed auto too for at least one day. Then go decide. Good luck with your choice<br>Hiding the soapbox ;D<br>AlpineRAM
Old 10-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Now where in the heck is that soap box? ??? hmmmmm must be in some other thread ;D

Quick Reply: Automatic vs Manual