1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looking for snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a snorkel?

I need a snorkel for my 92 W250.

I have found them for the 94-up models but no luck on the 93-down.

I would be willing to make something if anyone has any pics or ideas that would help?

THANKS!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never seen one; couldn't be too hard though...

Would this be a temporary plastic insert thing, or something more permanent?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:58 AM

I would like something permanent that could be used only when needed.

Most of the styles that are available for other vehicles have a molded plastic intake that runs on the outside of the fender and up the window post.

The problem I have is I dont want a piece of 4 1/2" round tube running down the side of the truck.

I would like to find something that would be more sleek along the side.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 PM

I built one for my jeep out of pvc or you can use aluminum. Cut a hole in the passenger fender with a jigsaw metal blade. Elbow it towards the windshield frame and follow the a-pillar to the top. Paint it black and go anywhere.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the time you need a snorkel your electronics will be fried. Waste of money IMO. Try ARB they sell snorkels. If you need a snorkel then you need more lift and bigger tires.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I've commented on snorkles and first gens. before. If you are going for looks, I totally understand and encourage you to continue. If you are looking at it from a performance edge, I think you may be disappointed. I compare it to plugging one nostral on your nose and running up the stairs. The less plumbing on the inlet to the turbo the better. Of course there are a lot of Kenworth's and Pete's running them for cold air intake so I could be all wrong.
If you want to drive making waves with the windshield there is a lot more to look at than just the snorkle. All the gear box vents should be elevated to the same height. The PCM needs to be waterproofed or moved to dryer ground. The vacuum pump will also may need attention and all little vacuum leaks fixed. I'm not sure how long you will be able to run the altenator underwater but someone may make one that does. After all the Hummer is designed for a snorkle. Don't forget to seal up the starter motor and the air filter housing. You might want to take off the engine cooling fan as well to prevent mutilating the radiator with bent fan blades. I hope I didn't discourage you, but these are the things I thought of when I came up with the desire to snorkle. Good Luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
By the time you need a snorkel your electronics will be fried. Waste of money IMO.
I dont need the snorkel for driving under water, I need it to keep it from drinking up the giant splash of water when I go into a water hole. This big truck makes a big splash and the intake pulls it all in.

Try ARB they sell snorkels. .
ARB only makes them 94' and up.

If you need a snorkel then you need more lift and bigger tires.

I am running a 38.5 inch Bogger now. I have found the bigger the tire the bigger the splash!

I just want something that will prevent sucking up all the water that comes in under the front valance of the truck.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Boatnik, all your points are more than valid and I will keep them in mind before making those windshield waves!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by joker834
Boatnik, all your points are more than valid and I will keep them in mind before making those windshield waves!
Thanks I was afraid that you might take it the wrong way. I wouldn't want anyone making a costly mistake without first trying to spark a thought from another point of view. I've had my truck in the mud only once and was not sure I was going to be able to get out without getting my boots muddy. And that hole wasn't a foot deep but it was a 100 feet long. Check out the Hummer. The Army uses snorkles for the same purpose. If you relocate your window washer bottle you may be able to use the second gen. filter housing and intake and adapt it to a snorkle. I never really looked at it that close. If you have A/C you might have to work around that as well. I think Smokey or someone makes a Cowl intake for the second gen. that mounts the filter in the cowl area. That with outer ware on the filter might keep the turbo dry if it can be retro fitted into the older trucks.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the help and I will check it out!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM

a snorkle is a good idea. i had the same prob but if you take out the plastic scoop that draws air from under your bumper it helps to not funel the water into your filter. I got stuck becous of that. filter got wet and i lost all power. im going to build one for mine like the one i bilt for my friend. And he does make waves with his wendshield. Ill try to find a picture
Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 PM

I would love to see a picture!

I had the same problem getting stuck to the tune of $485 worth of damage to my truck and the truck trying to pull me out!

Man my wife thinks I'm STUPID!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Well you can do what I did with my old CJ, run some 3" drain hose into the cab, it might be really freaking loud, but it could easily be pulled out of the stock airbox when you don't need it. Plus you know exactly what goes into your intake.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM

OUCH! And I thought the Smokey Cowl intake would be loud. My cab leaks like a buckshot doe but I bet I would need to keep my windows down to keep my ear drums in my head with that mod. Got ot admit, the air filter would surely stay dry.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Haha, well with the stock airbok and a few baffles in between its probably not to bad. My old CJ was just a measly 4 banger, so it just made the nice whooooshing sounds, until the carb backfired and you had a gunshot in the cab...but taking the doors and top off helped that a bit.

Quick Reply: Looking for snorkel?