1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures

Looks like I've got an exhaust leak at the turbine to downpipe. The book I have doesn't list a gasket for that connection. I have read there is a gasket. And different clamps that work. Before I tear into it can anyone give me some advice on getting this exhaust leak stopped?
It is also rattling just a bit. I have tried to tighten the clamp to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures-leak.jpeg   A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures-leak1.jpeg  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 93. On mine there was no gasket at the break. There is a 90 degree flange on the pipe underneath the clamp that mates to another face on the turbo and is tightened and held in place by the clamp.

The flange on the downpipe was cracked all the way around the flange so that it could not be tightnened enough to prevent the exhaust leak. It cracked because the tailpipe was hard mounted to the flatbed by a strap steel hanger.

You need the rubberized plastic exhaust hangers for your exhaust pipe otherwise the exhaust system vibration will cause the flange to crack. I had to replace 2 downpipes before I figured out what the issue was !

Check your exhaust system and make sure it has the proper hangers in place and is not "hard mounted" anywhere.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I had a 95 CTD with a similar problem. It leaked around the V band clamp that held the down pipe to the turbine housing. I ended up replacing the clamp and it stopped the leak/rattle. The clamp looks pretty tight in the pics. May be worn out or over tightened and distorted.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 PM

well, I pulled it today and there was a crack right at the connection. I had to go to a muffler shop and have them swedge out a piece in order for me to TIG weld it in place. It turns out there is only one stabilizing bracket on the entire muffler system! In the back. I have get under there and figure out how to weld in a few spots to hold that muffler and downpipe in place.
Is there a good source for these clamps on line? I have welded few things in the past for a few pilots and I have seen those clamps used in some aircraft.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
In order to prevent that crack at the turbo's V-band clamp, Dodge put a somewhat resilient mount at the transmission bellhousing. This prevents the engine twist from breaking the pipe at the flange.

I've got one on my mess (custom downpipe).

Any torsional flex and such is addressed in my mess with a 12" piece of SS flex just downstream . . .

The following 2 users liked this post by BC847:
mknittle (12-11-2017), thrashingcows (12-11-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 PM

YES! Just what I needed was a pic of that. Thanks for that!. Mine has no bracket on it but I can quickly fab and weld one on to catch that bell housing bolt.
It's kinda hard to see on that pic which bell housing bolt that is..
Also, I might have to take a torch to the back of the muffler. Heat it up and hammer a little flat spot on it. Mine in the back is hitting the leaf spring pack
The following users liked this post:
BC847 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Facing towards the front of the truck, looking at the trans it should be the lowest bolt on the right side. Dodge had a factory bracket there. I was thinking that the pipe might be cracked at the v band flange b/c it looked like there was a little smudge of soot on it in your pic that was in an abnormal place.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 PM

that will work. I have a few pipe mounts off of an older Toyota pickup that I can weld on to catch that bolt.
Now comes securing that pipe and muffler. Right now it is very poorly secured under there. I am going to have to put on my thinking hat tomorrow . It's going to be tricky with this 4" very long pipe.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
This is the OEM exhaust downpipe to trans bellhousing mount. It has a rubber insert to dampen the noise via mechanical decoupling. A band-clamp holds it to the pipe.

That bolt right there . . .

Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't get the stock mount that BC847 has pictured to work with the 4" Flo-Pro system I installed. I ended up making a hard mount.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Here is the fix on my junk..
I had to have a local muffler shop double up two pipes and swedge them out to make the lip thicker on the end of the downpipe. According to a diesel buddy of mine this mimics the correct factory spec. making an exhaust leak or break at the turbine less likely.
I then TIG'ed the connection. The other photo is the bracket I modified that came off a toyota downpipe bracket. I MIG welded onto the the side of the downpipe to catch the lower bell housing bolt. Kinda of a pain but it now is stabilized and nothing is hitting anything all the way back and out!
Attached Thumbnails A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures-downpipe.jpeg   A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures-downpipe1.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Morsel:
mknittle (12-11-2017), thrashingcows (12-11-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Good JOB!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
I agree. Good job!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Good JOB!
Nice job

Now it's time to dump that 18.5cm exh housing, and upgrade it to a 16cm or, 14cm unit for faster spooling.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Thanks!
Right now ive got an injector pump leak I am researching. I am waiting on a few parts in order to pull the pump and fix this leak.

Quick Reply: A little help please with an annoying exhaust leak.. pictures