1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lift pump part #

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump part #

Hi guys, need a little help here. I'm stuck at home in the snow, truck started yesterday am when it was about 9* F and stopped after about 5 minutes. I had just put PS additive in for the first time as it usually isn't below freezing here. Only drove around 8 miles home and shut it down. So, I'm assuming I gelled some of the fuel in the lines or maybe had a little icing from water in the filter. Either way, it has warmed up now to about 32* and she won't start, so I went to bleed at the filter and the LP lever was offering no resistance and no fuel at the bleed screw. I removed the clipped fuel line from the LP and could feel no suction at the inlet. Went to the Cummins shop and they couldn't get me a pump without an engine serial no. which I can't find. So, I am wondering if anyone can help me with a part number. All I can find with the search function is all you guys upgrading to a piston LP, which I would love to do but I am stuck at home (other car is rear wheel limited slip!) and the truck is outside in the snow and I need to get it running fast. Anyone know cummins part numbers for whatever I'll need to get a new LP on there. Much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump it over a half turn to get the pump lever up on the cam. That may be all it needs to get the primer going again.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks a ton Ace, that got me some pressure on the lever. I was able to get fuel out of the filter bleed bolt, but she didn't fire and the battery is weak from trying yesterday in the cold. I have a charger on it now, and will mess with it later. I'm not that knowledgeable about bleeding this system. Is there some diagram somewhere with all the bleed points, and since I am alone and stuck here, if someone could let me know which points I can bleed with the LP lever and which I need to crank fuel to I would be very appreciative. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Ace
Banned

You bleed up through the filter with the lift pump. Then bleed out the injectors by cranking the engine with the injector lines loosened at the injectors. Open the front three, crank and close. Then if it doesn't fire, do the back three, crank and close.

Be careful about fuel spray if you are up in the engine bay while bleeding the injectors. It can come out hard enough to cut you.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks again Ace, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure if there was a bleed bolt on the IP or not. Like I said, I'm solo, so it's gonna be tough to bleed the injectors properly, but at least if I loosen em and then go crank I should be able to tell if I have fuel there. Really appreciate the help Ace, thank you!
-matt
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Ace
Banned

No prob, let us know how it goes...
Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
if you're still in need of the engine serial number, check the metal ID tag on the driver-side of the engine in front of the injection pump. cummins should only need your CPL or "control parts list" number to find all the parts you'll need. i believe the engine serial number should be on that tag as well, but the CPL number should only be 3 or 4 digits.