1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

kdp...oh my god

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation kdp...oh my god

i believe my kdp has relocated to my crankcase or wherever it goes when is comes loose...the truck is leaking oil badly from front of motor while running...slight grinding whining noise coming from motor ...any ideas on what it'll cost to fix?...please give best and worst case scenarios...thanks....
Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 AM

stop running it , then it will be a lot cheaper , if any lose parts get in the gears , they can do damage to cam , valves , pistons ect.
If its still running , then a good timing cover will fix .
Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Since it's still running, the cam is in one piece - if that's any comfort. Gonna need a new case, or the old one TIG'ed back together. Cam gear and IP gear have to come off to R&R case. Hopefully the whining is just the KDP or case bolt laying on a gear.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now is the time to P-Pump that thing. Or just go the least expensive route and fix the timing case.

Jon
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM

My mechanic just called...apparently the timing case is cracked...broken...so that'll have to be replaced...no word on whether or not anything else is destroyed...he has yet to pull it into the shop...i hope nothing else happens when he cranks it to move it...any ideas on a ballpark price...just to see what im looking at...because for some reason he won't give me even an estimate...thanks for the advice fellas...

Big White
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Tell him not to crank it! If it is caught anywhere near the gears, the bill will go up if the tab gets in the timing chain or worse!

Jon
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you know someone who's a good TIG welder, they can repair the case for you a lot cheaper than a new case.

I hate to guess how much it will cost, you are looking at a $600 parts bill for new parts. Labor rates are so different across the country it's hard to say, but the time is going to be 8-10 hours.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 PM

You would probably be better off to have a tow truck go down there to assist getting it inside(with the push bumper) without starting it.

So it appears this could easily be a $1000 bill to fix. I'm sure glad the PO did it on mine!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear about you troubles I hope everything works out
How many cases of the KDP falling out have there been? Reason I'm asking is that I still have to do mine and I have read the instructions on how to do it but I want to know how difficult it is to do. It looks like a big job and I have an oil change coming up and I think that that is a good time to do it.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
How many cases of the KDP falling out have there been? Reason I'm asking is that I still have to do mine and I have read the instructions on how to do it but I want to know how difficult it is to do. It looks like a big job and I have an oil change coming up and I think that that is a good time to do it.
I am in the same boat your in. I just bought my 93' Ram 2 weeks ago. Everything is stock and I highly doubt the KDP has been done. I'm a mechanical minded guy, but I would really like to tackle this job without any surprises or "special" tools to get it done.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM

I think its quite bigger job than oil change. This is the first and only account Ive ever heard of a kdp on a 1st gen failing though.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 AM

The job isn't technically challenging at all. Very straighforward and mechanically simple. You just have to pull the serp belt, drop a pulley or two and remove timing cover. Simple to make your own locking tab from sheetmetal, to fit under the case screw right there at the dowel pin. You'll need a new cover gasket and seal. The seal goes on dry, no oil, and comes with a slick little plastic insulation tool. I posted some pics of my home made lock tab somewhere in this forum, maybe a year ago? Simple stuff.

When I did mine I also discovered that almost all of the timing gear case bolts going into the block were loose, some less than finger tight, some finger tight, and some with maybe a couple of lbs torque on them. Pull each one, clean with alcohol and swab out the hole with a Q-tip & alcohol, then reassemble with Loc-Tite. A timing case screw falling into gears can do just as much damage.

Also a very good time to check your serpentine belt tensioner for play. I did mine when I had the front end off the truck, so I can't comment on what's involved with radiator and getting access to work....
Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 AM

I really need to do mine. I have the kit to do it, but I think I'm gonna wait until I get back from South Texas next week. Hope it lasts for 1 more trip.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrettctd
I think its quite bigger job than oil change. This is the first and only account Ive ever heard of a kdp on a 1st gen failing though.
You haven't been around long have you? This is just another case of a destroyed engine that could have been prevented with about three hours work. Anyone with a KDP that has not been pinned, do it now, it can and probably will fall out at some point and if not it is cheap insurance to pin it anyway.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by rlyons
You haven't been around long have you? This is just another case of a destroyed engine that could have been prevented with about three hours work. Anyone with a KDP that has not been pinned, do it now, it can and probably will fall out at some point and if not it is cheap insurance to pin it anyway.
ACTUALLY I have been around for a while. I just havent heard of many 1st gens with the problem. Seen many 2nd gens with it. Im not saying it cant happen though. Ill get to it someday.

Quick Reply: kdp...oh my god