1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just picked this up 10 min ago

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
nice score! could you post an over head shot of the cab lights? I'd like to add a set sometime and not sure how far back to put them with the visor.
thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
I sure will. I'm at work. Might be a min
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Blue Goose.
Check the Sticky, as someone did a write up on installing Cab lights with spacing, pictures and all.
It was a great write up, so my guess is it got "stuck".
The following users liked this post:
Blue Goose (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
checked the sticky...pretty sure I found the one you mentioned Oliver...and thanks to photobucket no pics....
Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
okay gotta ask, what is that plug on the radiator side of the VE pump? I'm pretty sure my 93 doesn't have that. Auto trans thing?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
That plug, if I'm understanding your explanation of direction, is the TPS- throttle position sensor. Very pricey electrical component. Controls the shift from 3-OD, both up and downshift.

Man, that pump is for sure a stocker pump. Even has the smoke screw cap still on, along with those pesky slotted bolts holding the AFC top on. First thing I'd do is swap those to stainless Allen heads, lol.

Why is it the front grille always has a crack at that same spot. I've got that on both my trucks. Dan, get some high grade epoxy and glue up that fan shroud. Don't want that thing cracking any further, as those are no longer available new.

I have to say, for a dually, that is a good score, and it looks pretty clean from the pics. What's the interior window moldings like? Still intact?

Now you can make that 90 of yours a play truck, and the 1993 model the work horse.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM

So far, this has been the only product that I've used to fix the cracks on grilles, and all my interior molding. It will not peel off, and used with pvc pipe, will hold pretty good pressures. Anymore, all my epoxy jobs prone to heat and vibration, this is my go to.
Attached Thumbnails Just picked this up 10 min ago-img_0883.png  
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
That plug, if I'm understanding your explanation of direction, is the TPS- throttle position sensor. Very pricey electrical component. Controls the shift from 3-OD, both up and downshift.

Man, that pump is for sure a stocker pump. Even has the smoke screw cap still on, along with those pesky slotted bolts holding the AFC top on. First thing I'd do is swap those to stainless Allen heads, lol.

Why is it the front grille always has a crack at that same spot. I've got that on both my trucks. Dan, get some high grade epoxy and glue up that fan shroud. Don't want that thing cracking any further, as those are no longer available new.

I have to say, for a dually, that is a good score, and it looks pretty clean from the pics. What's the interior window moldings like? Still intact?

Now you can make that 90 of yours a play truck, and the 1993 model the work horse.
That's the plan. Gonna pull head on 90 Sunday. If it's not to bad I'll put one back on it with some studs to get it home
Old 10-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
My guess is that's where the safety hook lever for the hood is. Repeated reaching for it and using the grille for leverage will cause the crack.

It's only a guess though.

Edwin
Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
So far, this has been the only product that I've used to fix the cracks on grilles, and all my interior molding. It will not peel off, and used with pvc pipe, will hold pretty good pressures. Anymore, all my epoxy jobs prone to heat and vibration, this is my go to.
I have been using Goop products for years...Shoe Goop, Marine Goop etc. I have re-inforced cracks in grills, interior, even small wood and metal repairs etc, with this stuff and it works great. Roughing up the surface with some 60 grit helps with bonding, and embedding a small piece of tin in the repair (roughed with sandpaper too) makes it even stronger.

A fellow over on CF forum mentioned that he uses this stuff as well and will sometime thin it out with some lacquer thinner and the use some fiberglass matting to make a strong, but slightly flexible repair. I have not tried this one yet....but it's on my list when a repair that could use this method arises.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Nice score man! How rusty is it underneath?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have been using Goop products for years...Shoe Goop, Marine Goop etc. I have re-inforced cracks in grills, interior, even small wood and metal repairs etc, with this stuff and it works great. Roughing up the surface with some 60 grit helps with bonding, and embedding a small piece of tin in the repair (roughed with sandpaper too) makes it even stringer.

A fellow over on CF forum mentioned that he uses this stuff as well and will sometime thin it out with some lacquer thinner and the use some fiberglass matting to make a strong, but slightly flexible repair. I have not tried this one yet....but it's on my list when a repair that could use this method arises.
TCows, good to see you pipe in. I tried this stuff on my pool solar panels. That 2" pvc is putting out some pressure from a 2HP pool pump. That sun beating down on the pvc(painted flat black even, in a snagglepuss voice) has caused some leaks. I lathered this stuff on and it held!

When I use this stuff just recently on my interior trim, above the windshield, I used that yellow drywall mesh tape, as a strength backing. Its holding very well. I, too, scuff it up with some low grit sandpaper or steel wool, then wipe everything off with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, then apply the epoxy. It sure works well, way better than JBweld. JB is great for cast iron and metal machined fix it parts, but for plastics, this stuff is the bomb. Glad to see another believer, lol.
I was getting it local from a specialty plumbing store local(andersons sierra pipe, for you MKnittle, lol), but found it on Amazon way cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
My guess is that's where the safety hook lever for the hood is. Repeated reaching for it and using the grille for leverage will cause the crack.

It's only a guess though.

Edwin
I looked at that, the area where the hood latch is. My grille has a crack on the top, where the grilles plastic flange screws down, and I noticed every time I placed my hand on that area, it creaked. Looking closely, my flange does not sit totally flat on top of the steel support underneath. Then when the grill comes down on top of it, I suppose that has caused the cracking.

When I epoxied the thing, I placed some small cardboard shims to take up the void. No more creaking.

Man, all this talk about our trucks, seeing folks picking up second trucks, folks working on their trucks, really gets me going. I haven't driven since mid August, and probably won't be for another 4 months or so. Talk about cabin fever!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Living in the Plastic Age sucks. I wish they still made grilles and such out of good ole aluminum.
Get off my lawn!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I looked at that, the area where the hood latch is. My grille has a crack on the top, where the grilles plastic flange screws down, and I noticed every time I placed my hand on that area, it creaked. Looking closely, my flange does not sit totally flat on top of the steel support underneath. Then when the grill comes down on top of it, I suppose that has caused the cracking.

When I epoxied the thing, I placed some small cardboard shims to take up the void. No more creaking.

Man, all this talk about our trucks, seeing folks picking up second trucks, folks working on their trucks, really gets me going. I haven't driven since mid August, and probably won't be for another 4 months or so. Talk about cabin fever!!!
I'll be happy for you to come down here and work on my truck if it's really bothering you.

I'd much rather be driving it. This stuff with the fuel pump is for birds.

Hope you get back on it soon!

Edwin

Quick Reply: Just picked this up 10 min ago