1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just bought 93 250 4x4 auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought 93 250 4x4 auto

Hi everybody, I am new to the diesel world, but with what I do know I think I have made a good switch.
I do have some questions about the truck I purchased yesterday:

I paid 4900$ it has 214000 mi. It is a very clean 250 IC auto 4x4, not even a tear in the drivers seat! Did I pay too much?

The spedo does not work mechanic told previous owner that it was a sensor. This effects the OD also? Is it difficult to fix? Where is it located?

The oil pressure is lower than the manual (yes the origional manual)
says it should be for driving pressure, is this a bad sign?
The truck never did any towing only long trips up the California coast.

The power seems lacking to me, pulling 9k has hard time, is this normal for the 1st gen?

Are mods at the milleage ok? What type would be best bang for the buck?

The front passanger wheel bearings are bad I believe, the wheel can be moved from top to bottom around 3/16" when lifted. Grinding sound when turning tight, is this the bearing also?

The steering wheel can be turned two inches before the tires move, tie rods look good, steering box?

My mind is swimming with questions so I apoligize if there are too many
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Power seems lacking huh, welcome to the 1st gen world

Turn that fuel screw up and get some gauges

If it's in good shape you did not pay too much...plenty of first gen trucks over 400k.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Whats a fuel screw? Thats all thats invloved, turning a screw?
What are the guages for?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by 93 high hopes
Whats a fuel screw? Thats all thats invloved, turning a screw?
What are the guages for?
Wow, you are new to the diesel club. Check out the sticky. Looks for power screw fuel screw, and runaway. 72,000 views can't be wrong!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t102027.html

Make sure you have some handy.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Hi everybody, I am new to the diesel world, but with what I do know I think I have made a good switch.

I paid 4900$ it has 214000 mi. It is a very clean 250 IC auto 4x4, not even a tear in the drivers seat! Did I pay too much?

The spedo does not work mechanic told previous owner that it was a sensor. This effects the OD also? Is it difficult to fix? Where is it located?

The power seems lacking to me, pulling 9k has hard time, is this normal for the 1st gen?

The front passanger wheel bearings are bad I believe, the wheel can be moved from top to bottom around 3/16" when lifted. Grinding sound when turning tight, is this the bearing also?

The steering wheel can be turned two inches before the tires move, tie rods look good, steering box?

If its real clean that don't sound like to bad of a deal. Your speedo deal sounds like a bad Vehicle speed sensor. The low Oil pressure could just be a bad sending unit, these truck are notorious for that. Sounds like your gonna need some bearings and races up front. The auto trucks are real dogs untill you turn up the fuel and get a decent converter in em. Your loose steering issue is probly the factory micky mouse joint at the box.

I would address all the other issues before turnin the screws but after you get everything else taken care of these are the mods and the order I would do them.

1. Guages, Boost,pyro and fuel pressure
2. Torque converter
3 Governor spring
4. Now you can play with the fuel, depending on how wild your gonna go you gonna need a good supply pump to.

Your also gonna want to Tab the dowel pin too

BTW welcome to DTR

Don' forget to check the Sticky, There are a lot of thread in there pertaining to everything you want to do.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t102027.html
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Just the wheel moves, or the whole spindle?

Steering wheel play - check the coupler between the steering box and the column for wear. Also make sure that the steering box bracket and/or frame are not cracked.

When diagnosing low power, always make sure you are getting full throttle travel at the injection pump. The lever should hit the high speed stop when someone in the cab mats the pedal.

If the OD and the speedo don't work, it's the VSS. It's located on the transfer case. Common problems include stripped reducer gearbox, chafed wiring, or the thing just rattled loose and fell off.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to DTR!

Check out my videos on 3 simple modifications you can do to the injection pump

If you keep your foot out of it, these mods will make MPG and power go up a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKSDrZ0UjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPnj...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U997...eature=related

the 1st video shows how to assure and MAKE sure you're getting full throttle travel, the 2nd one is to up fueling a tad bit, and the 3rd video shows how to advance the timing for a nice boost in power.

Get an EGT pyrometer/BOOST gauge and you'll be ready to get a' tweakin'
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks guys for the help, I will look at all the mods later today. Is it bad for any other components in the steering to continue and drive with bad bearings?
Do the 1st gen cummings have the same potential that the later models have? Same engine right minus 12V??
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're all mechanical, no electronics so they're not as potential. but you can still get an easy 400hp/800ft lbs. out of a 1st gen depending on how strong your injection pump is and finding the right setup. Maxed out pump, big injectors, and an HX40 turbo and a good transmission is usually good for at least 375hp., as long as the power gets to the ground either through a manual trans or a good torque converter in your auto
Old 02-13-2010, 11:35 AM
BHD

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
Welcome!!

For sloppy steering definately check the input shaft coupler for wear. The small parts inside usually go bad, and as long as the coupler housing itself isn't worn, it can be a cheap fix, like under $20. Parts for the steering coupler are available from Dodge.

These trucks are not speed wagons in stock form by any means. But you have to remember that the newest 1st gen is like 17 yrs old. But at the time it was (by far) the best diesel unit available when compared to the GM non turbo 6.2 and the Navistar IDI non turbo 7.3.

With a few mods and some time with wrench in hand you can have a real nice running truck. Good Luck, and keep looking at the sticky.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM

It looks like I have a lot to learn!!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you did all right pulltillbroke makes a good point in getting the truck running good before modding[which we all love to do] if its a cali truck you should be all right on body rust but you might want to check the rain gutter above the windshield for rot a heads up that these trucks rot there and on the bottem of the fenders BUT with that being said i don't think you'll have a problem with that WELCOME and have fun with the rig
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Keep in mid also that 300-400 hp at the wheels makes for a pretty quick 1st Gen. They're a good 1,000 to 2,000 pounds less than newer trucks, so they need less hp to be fun.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks guys for the help, I will look at all the mods later today. Is it bad for any other components in the steering to continue and drive with bad bearings?
No, but you could destroy the spindle or lose the wheel and crash the truck. Please fix it, if not for your own safety for the safety of others on the road.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
BHD

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
Bad bearings can toast the spindles and maybe even the hub. I would fix 'em as soon as you can. Safety being priority #1 and #2 the parts aren't cheap- so fix it soon unless you got bottomless pockets.

Quick Reply: Just bought 93 250 4x4 auto