1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Install ?'s

So i spoke with PDR and a local from this site regarding injector install. Both made me confident in the fact it should be easy. Key word is SHOULD. What if any problems have you all run into when doing this job? (and what did you do to fix the issue)

Anyone have any pictures of the steps?(i found some great turbo housing install pics on here last night)

Any special tools i should pick up just in case? pretty sure vise grips or channel locks should gently rock them out of their.

Got myself a set of POD's from PDR and a 16cm housing..... this winter time i will be doing the trany so all is good!

thanks for any help. i searched but really looking for some pics.

jiMMy
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I finally figured out how to get the injectors out it was a piece of cake. Remove lines, loosen nut and rock out. Just make sure all the dirt or debris is out from around the injectors and clean out the bores good before installation. I think they torque at 42 ftlbs back in.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:15 PM

A 11/16 crows foot works great for loosening the injector lines. You will also need a 15/16 deep well socket for the nut the hold the injector in place, 10mm socket for the banjo bolts on the return lines and a 8mm socket for the little clamps that hold the injector lines. I think those are the right size tools if memory serves me. I'm sure someone will chime in if i'm wrong.
Cody
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by NeedMoPower
A 11/16 crows foot works great for loosening the injector lines. You will also need a 15/16 deep well socket for the nut the hold the injector in place, 10mm socket for the banjo bolts on the return lines and a 8mm socket for the little clamps that hold the injector lines. I think those are the right size tools if memory serves me. I'm sure someone will chime in if i'm wrong.
Cody
ACtually, I think it is a 15mm wrinch for the injector line and a 32mm deep socket for the injector hold down nut. Torque back to 44 ft-lb. The standard sizes are probably close enough to work but I have rounded nuts off before using standard on metric adn vice versa so I try to get that one right. Don't want to be trying to replace some of those parts!

Carl
Old 08-19-2004, 12:22 AM

Hey jimmy when you put the new injectors in be sure they seet because if they dont you will do some damage. Other than that it is fairly simple. Let us know how it turn out.

Stomp
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 AM

damage?? please elaborate.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 AM

I have heard the nozzles can be stubborn coming out, so a week before I did mine, I started spraying lube/ penatrating oil down around the nozzles. Mine came out OK.
make sure the old copper washer comes out of the hole with the old nozzles. If they dont you will have to get the old washers out of the hole. I used the thin washers when installing the new nozzles, they say it puts the tip farther into the chamber for better atomization. good luck
Old 08-19-2004, 06:29 PM

swank

Damage: When you look at the injector they have a raised ball on the side of them and when you put them in they fit into the slot facing the exhaust manifold. Well I didn’t get mine into the slot. I made a new slot from tightening the injector while it was crooked. When I tried to torque it down it would slip into the new slot. It left the injector crooked and you couldn’t get the return fuel lines to hook up. I did eventually get it to seat without to much damage. Just make sure they are in the slot before you torque them down. Does this help clarify what happened to me or do I need to reword it.

Stomp
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM

perfectly clear