1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I need A/C parts help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need A/C parts help!

I have a 90 D250 with the non-I/C C171 compressor. I have ordered a rebuilt one, and intend to redo the whole A/C system. The only problems is I don't know what kind/how many gaskets and pilots and such to buy/install.

Here is what I know I'll need:
All new metal gaskets for everything (drier (2), expansion valve (2), condenser (1), and suction/discharge (2)).
A new drier

What else do I need to put in when I do this?
I need help finding the right plastic guides for the compressor and should I use any o-rings on the line fittings into the expansion valve and/or drier?

How much R-134a should I recharge with? Which oil/amount?

Unfortunately, the SM doesn't have a clear parts list/ exploded diagram of the A/C system, and I don't trust whats currently on the truck as its been worked on before and I know it doesn't have an all OEM installation right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
If you open a fitting you should replace the O-ring with a R134 compatible O-ring. You can buy a generic pack of O-rings for fairly cheap. You don't need O-rings if you are using a gasket. As for the plastic guides I have no idea what you are referring to?

You need less charge of R134 then R12, if you do a little digging on line you should find the approximate number...think you start with 40% of the original charge, and add slowly till you reach the appropriate line pressures. And you need a R134 compatible oil...again some online research will garner you the name.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM

I took samples with to Napa.
It was one or the other.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Here are some parts numbers for the air conditioner.

You can enlarge your screen by holding down "Ctrl" key and scroll mouse click wheel.

Name:  PlumbingAirConditioningDieselDModel1-1-1.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  PlumbingAirConditioningDieselDModel1-1-2.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  110.9 KB

http://www.rtitech.com/downloads/New...Compressor.pdf

Oil is critical, replace exactly what you took out or 3.25oz max.

I would not use R-134 unless I absolutely had no other choice, if you do find a way to add some axillary fans for the condenser, in traffic and low speeds the head pressure can get high enough to trip the relief valve or stall the compressor.

Most of the replacement parts came with the appropriate gasket or o-rings but I do not trust they are the right ones so I bought a good assortment of o-rings from Pep Boys to have on hand and the gaskets for the expansion valve and condenser I got from my local automotive air conditioning repair shop.

I had to send my wife to get me a gasket for the condenser and he gave her about 4 of them to her for free, I reused the plastic grommets from the old compressor, take them out carefully so you don't break them.

BTW Once you crush a metal gasket, you cannot reuse it because it now might leak.

Also when I charged mine I added a small amount of UV dye along with the oil.

You need to flush out the condenser and the evaporator using flushing solvent, the hoses are tricky.

Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rockauto.com sells the gasket kit set for around $8. I just bought three sets last week. No o-rings were included. Your local Dodge store usually has them if you want their oem stuff.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 AM

for maximum cooling with 134 one should pull the little copper tube on the cycle switch out of the suction line about 2- 2 1/2 inches. made a big difference on my 90
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 AM

cows pretty much told that one. my buddy had the same prob.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
This is why I converted over to a Sanden compressor....and will be doing a universal A/C retro fit under the hood. Will post u p a complete thread when done. with pics, part numbers etc.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM

ac parts house
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM

See, this is where I get confused.

The parts list in the image posted by Jim Lane shows a part number for the Pilot, Gasket, and O-Ring. So I need to put all three in right?

Also, I really wish there was some place I could just order everything and know I would get it soon.

Here is a link for the expansion valve pilots:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=952149

Now, do I need one set or two (one or two sides of the expansion valve)?

Also, does anyone know what exactly is in this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=911063_0_0_

Every picture or description I can find on the internet doesn't have a parts list for this kit.

Here are the kits I am considering ordering because metal gaskets can only be installed once (and I know I'll screw up at least once):
http://www.acsource.com/chryslergask...nk11-1010.aspx
http://www.acsource.com/chryslerjeep...ngsealkit.aspx
But the item description says the o-rings are for late model Chryslers, so will they fit on the truck?????

The little plastic pieces to guide/hold the lines into the compressor are item GA 1637 here:
http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/hom...us.html#Anchor
But I can't find any place to order them from!

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.