1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How to reinstall my drivers kick panel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Help! How do I reinstall my drivers kick panel.

Removed this over a year ago. It was hard to get out from my memory. Got no idea on how to snake it into place??

I've got the parking brake loose and twisted over under the brake pedal. It's an automatic.

Love some advice as these are easy to break.

Passengers side way way harder than expected.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Ive done it 2 ways
1. factory way= remove that section of door weatherstripping, just enough to create slack for panel to slide in and mesh with dash anti-vibration strip, then take parking brake assembly out- must loosen brake cable adjuster to get enough slack. Then it should slide it with kick panel and splash shield in one piece, but just barely. make sure its warm, even with a hair drier. Not in cold weather

2. 2nd way- loosen door weatherstripping- Put splash shield in as its own piece becasue you broke the plastic spot welds taking it out. Got to hardware store and get some 1/2 by 1/2 inch foam weatherstrip and out it on kick panel portion to replace the thinner factory foam. Slide kickpanel in. Line screws up. Find a small child with midget hands to install the upper 2 screws that you cant get to becasue parking brake assembly is in way or put enough 3/8 butyl windshield strip in those holes to keep water out so you dont have to install them
Old 12-25-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Thank you so much!! That's a huge help. I somehow managed to get it without removing the parking brake. But I'll try to pull the brake with the cable loose. Not sure if it will work because of extra insulation.
I've got some low adhesion aviation sealant, I was going to get a cget on both surfaces and Hopefully be leak free.

New carpet looks nice! Too bad the nice edging doesn't extend back to the door sill trim. Need to work the passenger side a bit more. Gonna buy a few bags of rock or play sand from home depot and leave it run with the heat on for a few hrs.

M
Old 12-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam4
Thank you so much!! That's a huge help. I somehow managed to get it without removing the parking brake. But I'll try to pull the brake with the cable loose. Not sure if it will work because of extra insulation.
I've got some low adhesion aviation sealant, I was going to get a cget on both surfaces and Hopefully be leak free.

New carpet looks nice! Too bad the nice edging doesn't extend back to the door sill trim. Need to work the passenger side a bit more. Gonna buy a few bags of rock or play sand from home depot and leave it run with the heat on for a few hrs.

M
That is a pain taking the panel out.When I did mine I broke the plastic welds then I siliconed it in and put some above it as to make a barrier so when the water comes down it turns away from the vent.Then I put the other panel in and screwed it on.It works and no leaks but really that design was a leak waiting to happen.Just Thought I’d give u another option
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (12-28-2019)