2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

emergancy brake release on its own

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:emergancy brake release on its own

I'll stab at it.<br><br>The piece in the picture is what you'd tighten if you pushed the emergency brake in(and it stayed) but the brakes weren't grabbing.<br><br>I think you're saying your pedal isn't staying put, for that you'd have to adjust something up by the pedal I believe.<br><br><br>phox<br><br>
Old 11-22-2002, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should the pedal actually stay down when the brake is on?<br><br>Mine just springs back... but the brake is actually on..<br><br>To quite the guy from Circuit City &quot;Thats just fawkin weird!&quot;<br><br>and ill have to agree
Old 11-22-2002, 08:54 PM

OK, you made me run out to the parking lot to look. (boy is it cold)<br><br>Mine is the same way, you push it down and it springs back up. : I think they did this to eliminate the pedal hitting your leg when it releases. (that's my guess) [undecided]<br><br>DB
Old 11-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

CH you are not alone.
This has happened to others.
Check this thread from &quot;The Other Site&quot;

&quot;Parking Brake Released Itself&quot;
Old 11-22-2002, 09:21 PM

On my truck the lever goes down and comes back up, On 2000's and up it stay's down. Not sure of the 03's.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think CH is taking about the pedal position, but rather some are reporting of the emergency brake releasing by itself after parking and setting the brake.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:34 PM

I think there is a spring on the release mechanism you need to check. it may be weak or broken.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:20 PM

I had my truck pop out of low gear while on vacation this summer on the Frio river in a camp ground. The dern thing was sitting there for about 10-15 minutes before it decided to go on a joy ride by itself. I had been parking the same way for the past 2 days and nothing happened. Well it rolled down a little hill and went up a little embankment and bumped into someones trailer. It just made a little dent in his trailer, and no one was hurt (thank god), but that little dent cost my insurance about 8 grand :. I looked at it and even took lots of pictures of the damage, it wasnt much, just some superfisal dents, no frame damage or nothing. Oh well stuff happens. My insurance went up about 50 bucks because of that. Oh well, Chris
Old 11-24-2002, 12:07 AM

yea, I think dodge might have done something well. The e-brake pedal on my SS left a HUGE nasty looking scrape on my leg once... it wasnt fun =(<br><br>How many automatic people put their truck in park and use the e-brake?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:47 AM

Imagine the look on the cows faces when they see CH walk away from the truck ... turn ... &quot;Ooohh S$h111tt !&quot; ... and run to catch his rig !! <br><br>PISTOL

Quick Reply: emergancy brake release on its own