1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How hot"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Sadly (and luckily) here in Southern California we have laws that we have to follow,
If my truck let out a cloud of black smoke I would have a cop on my tail quicker than the cloud could clear same with noise, they sit on the side of the freeway like on Kellogg Hill and monitor the sound as you pass by.

Also we are not in the country here it is all cities and towns end to end and I would not want to be a nuisance to any of my neighbors and I would expect the same from them as I have to come at all hours of the night, I even take it easy the last few miles so I do not have to idle down before I turn it off for the night at 4:00 A.M. although it must still be loud enough because all of the neighbors say "good Jim's home so I know we are all safe now"

Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
So far as the heat coming up off the muffler, I would address it with a sheet of shiny tread-plate or stainless above the muffler.

That would deflect the heat away from the bed, etc., and still be intact for several mufflers down the road.

A few layers of styrofoam insulating board above the shield will absorb any noise, plus add more insulation.

So far as how hot; my truck has genuine dual semi stacks, plumbed as a semi would be = not the usual square tube across the bed with two chimneys sticking out.

I can pull a big load of cattle up any grade around and lay my hands on the stacks the whole way; warm, but not un-comfortably hot.

Now, back in my old gas-burner days, the stacks only got touched once and a life-long lesson about getting branded was learned; one could actually smell the meat frying.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
all of the neighbors say "good Jim's home so I know we are all safe now"

Jim

Do you mean "safe" as in "now we can get on the road and not worry about JIM running over us" ??
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
Why would you want to kill the perfect humm of the cummins with a muffler lol.
Noise isn't much fun when you worked around it for a good part of your life, When I was a mechanic I was always in the shop with at least 6-8 Detroit's and 903 Cummins running with no exhaust, when you run up an 8V92 against the governor with the open exhaust inches from you, the scream was deafening, even though I wore earplugs the sound pressure would affect you.

I have lost about 60-70% of my hearing and almost all of the high frequency is gone and I constantly hear ringing in my ears especially when it is quiet.

Personally I like to hear the mechanical sounds from compression/ ignition with all of its pings and rattles rather that the exhaust but again that is just me.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Do you mean "safe" as in "now we can get on the road and not worry about JIM running over us" ??
No
They mean Safe as in we live on a cul-de-sac and my surveillance cameras watch them as they sleep.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jim, look at any good marine store for the wrap. I use wrap on my boat exhaust just because its hot and runs through the cabin and the muff is on the roof. I have even wrapped the hot side of a turbo before on one of my boats. I was a T6 354M perkins. I never had any issues with the wrap failing and nothing you have under your truck will be hotter then the hot side of a turbo. This is where I get mine just because its close by.
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...6-/4,5654.html

Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Back at the muffler you shouldn't see more than 800 degrees.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to reduce noise and heat transfer into the cab another route you can take is Dynomat they carry an AL back mat I covered the fire wall all the way down and under my 76 Corvette. It is total overkill.
You can just place a couple sections of mat on the outside bottom of your floor board over the heat source and it will deflect the heat. If you clean the surface good once you put the mat on with a heat gun it will not come off. Even if you want it off. It is like a thick tar/rubber mat.