1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!!

I was half way home and i notice my oil light came on and went off. So i babied her home. Pull in the engine is coated in oil, and anitfreeze and there is a miture of oil and aintfreeze in the overflow tank. Please PLEASE tell me i didnt blow my engine.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
could just be a head gasket. do you have water in the oil? mine blew 2years ago same thing ,hardest part was lifting head off
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 PM

headgasket blows with 2 much boost right.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM

i believe that can contribute....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 40 psi of boost moves you into fire ring territory, but it does sound like a head gasket, thats not to bad.

Except the getting it off part.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 PM

sounds like a good time to spend some money and get the head worked on... i mean you'll already have it off....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Money, have none thats why this is a blow. I was gonna sell it and buy a 91 with a nv4500 in it if its still for sell. Guess not now.

I dont need this crap im goin off to college in a month. Great
Old 07-20-2005, 05:38 AM

This happen after you pulled the sled? Do any good? Head gasket, time to pull the head.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 AM

no i didnt get to pull. happened after i was hot rodding a lil. i got a oil pressure gague as a boost gagues its worthless, it goes 25, a mark, 50 a mark, 75, a mark, 100. i dont know thats the mark between 25 and 50. also its got no lights
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 AM

got good look at it, everything on the passanger side is covered, there is sludge in the radiator and overflow tank. its a mess. I just dont know what to do, im over droppin money into the pos, so im gonna sell it and look for something else. any ideas on what i should ask. Im thinkin 8k just cuz i got so much into it. and im sure someone with knowlege knows how much it cost to do a head gasket or whatever is wrong.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 PM

fearthedear: If you really want to sell it go ahead, but dont sell it cause your mad at it. That will only come back to haunt you i promise that. Just remember if you start tweaking on the next truck you get you will run into the same problems and just have to spend the money anyway. One nice thing about having a vehicle that you have had for awhile is you know what you have done to it whats new and whats not.

If it was a head gasket which it sounds like it is just something that happens. Probably has happened to more than you know. Just calm down a little bit and let er sit till you get the money to fix it. Besides somebody is really goin to want to stick it to you becaue its broke.

Just my .02$ Goodluck with your situation though.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:44 PM

I just cant win with this truck. i get a head and lil bit and then im thrown 10 miles backwards. i fix somethin somethin else breaks.

Anyways how do i go about cleanin up this mess. And gettin a sure beat on whats wrong.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 PM

FTD the truck looks too good to give up on it. You won't get near 8k for it with HG problem and injection pump problems... cable shut off etc. As dezlsmkr said let it sit til you get the money to fix it. You'll learn a ton about your truck and engine doing a HG job. Take your time, and get a Cummins engine service manual. Remember its all just nuts and bolts. Look at it as an excuse to get the head o-ringed and head studs installed now and a learning experience.

BTW this could be an oil cooler/gasket failure allowing oil into the cooling system, not a HG. Remember that service manual I mentioned hint..
Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Do you have an auto? if so have you checked your tranny fluid?

The old ford IDI engines and some other international engines had something very similar to the tranny/coolant heat exchanger on the CTD except they had it for the engine oil. I have seen them fail and you get oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, basically a big mess. Usually you'll get oil in the coolant since it operates at a higher pressure, so then it will basically overfill the coolant system and blow it out the cap and big mess like you have.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 PM

DON'T SELL IT!!!!!!

just because your dumping money in it left and right dosen't mean that it will never stop! The truck has a few miles on it, and needs some love! Look at your truck as your girlfriend, you put all this money in her to keep it running right and in tip top shape. Just because she has a fit and blows a head gasket dont get rid of her. After awile of putting money it her she will stop needing parts and wont cost you a cent! If you sell it someone will be getting a really nice truck that has had alot of good work done on it!

If it were me I would just preasure wash the engine, it will clean any oil and anti freeze off on it as well as all the grease.

Good luck Coop

Quick Reply: Help!!!!