1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!

So finally i get my first issues with my truck. Of course in the snow nowhere near my tools.

Ran fine to work this morning. Went to go for lunch, runs for about 2 minutes, then runs out of fuel. Cracked the injector lines, air comes out. Pumped lift pump a few times. Fires up again.
100 feet up the road, dies again. Same routine gets er goin again.

Go to my local auto parts store, throw a new fuel filter at it for fun. Same deal.
Lift pump is new this summer.

Fresh tank of fuel yesterday with lucas anti gel. Ran fine afterwards all the way home and back to work yesterday.

Whats the deal? Im stranded 50 miles from home.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Sound to me like one of the metal lines that runs back to the tank might be rusted. Either that or you are sucking in air somewhere else but defiantly seems like air in the fuel system.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Could gelled fuel do this?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM

I wouldn't think so since you said you get air out when you crack the injectors but I may be wrong. If you can try to pressurize the fuel tank and see if you can hear air or see fuel coming out from any of the lines or any place there is a seal or copper washer on the fuel system. I wish I had a exact answer for you.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks...

I got it home today. Drove under its own power. I did notice that one of the straps that holds the tank up is broken. Didnt look like the tank was saggin, BUT maybe this cracked a line and it froze up, blocking leaks. Thats all i can figure anyways. Trucks in the shop thawing out. Ill let you all know what i find when i get under it tommorow...

Its being totally inconsitent. I think bad fuel can be ruled out.

I did pressurize the tank this summer, and found nothing. But the strap wasnt broked either...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
did you ever take the fuel shut off solanoid out? i just had the exact same problem you had identicaly, and we found that my injection pump sucked in the rubber chunks from the solanoid plunger into the pump and blocked little canals in the pump, took it apart and put it back in, good to go. but this would be probably more severe then what you have going on.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mullishacrew
but this would be probably more severe then what you have going on.
I agree. It doesnt shut down like the solenoid is doing it. It loses power and dies.

I went through my entire fuel system. I found the fuel line that goes into the lift pump was loose. (could spin it by hand with the hose clamp tight) I cut off the end of the hose, got a new hose clamp and tightened it up. This has been like this since I put the new lift pump on in the summer. Makes me wonder why it would suddenly be a problem.

When i pulled that line off the lift pump and pressurized the tank (blowgun and paper towl around the filler neck) the fuel was slow to come up the line. Just wondering what other peoples experience is with that.

I checked all of the fittings for wetness around the tank pickup, and all seemed well. Dirty, but dry. Rubber lines seemed to be in acceptable condition. Metal fuel lines were rusty, but not bad.

Should I dump a wack of anti gel in the tank and take her for a spin to mix it around? Will this disolve any wax buildup around the tank sock? I really cant totally drop the tank right now cause its full and I dont have 5 jerry cans layin around that I can dump diesel in.

And as far as the tank strap, they cant be here until... you guessed it... xmas. I think ill ratchet strap it to the bottom of the truck. And NO im not gonna make em. Too cold. wah. They are only 50 bucks anyways.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wondered about that "slow to come up in the line" thing. I think you will end up dropping the tank to inspect the pickup/sender. But if you have one jerry can and a long enough piece of 5/16 tubing, you could try running it off that straight to the lift pump.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM

It fires and runs fine with no load. I would be sketched out driving around with a jerry can with a line hanging out of the box over the cab under the hood
Its been real inconsistent and thats the part thats driving me up the wall... For instance driving it home yesterday without a glitch.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Fuel pressure test .
Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Sounds like when my IP died one time. I assume you filled it back up with fuel?