1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight problems

Having some trouble with my headlights. Last memorial day I was packed up a ready to leave my house for the weekend at 2am. went to turn on my lights and only the parking lights came on. No high Beams or low beams. I did some troubleshooting but ended up zeroing in on the headlight switch but needed to go so I wired up a switch to the headlight direct from the battery. Problem fixed and bright low beams however I had to open the hood to turn on or off the lights since thats where I mounted the swicth in the hurry.

Fast foward to today. I had a little spare time at work and had the swicth with me so i changed it. No fix! Parking lights come on but no high or low beams. I thought it was the ciruit breaker in the headlight switch or just a bad switch as I can smell it cook sometimes. I checked some voltages. firewall plug inside and outside there is 12.6 volts on the violet and white wire for the low beams. No voltage on the same wire at the lights. I also see that the wire splits in 2 right at the firewall plug. I'm stumped. I'm going to go thru the wire diagram again and check around. Just looking for ideas or any common issues anyone has seen or something to go after. I'm planning on doing the headlight relay mod and cleaning up some wiring soon.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you check your fuses in the fuse box to see if any were blown. I had the same problem on my 92 and put a new switch in and replaced the bad fuses, don't remember what fuse it was that was blown. ended up that when i honked the horn it blew a fuse and my headlights would go out and traced it to having a bad horn. figured out which horn was bad and unpluged it and never had another problem, just ran with one horn. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM

There is a great write up on installing headlight relays from the almighty Jim Lane here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=176263

After being left without lights twice (and replacing the switch twice) I followed Jim's directions one afternoon and took car of this issue. So, once you figure out your issue, this is a MUST DO, right up there with KDP.

As far as what is wrong, I would suggest you look at the plug connection at the switch. Because the switch is overloaded, a lot of heat is generated and can melt the connector and cause the 12v lead to not connect. I had to epoxy mine to get everything to line up.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM

check your multifunction switch? High and low beam wiring runs through it. It should be the next stop down stream from the head light switch.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyreb
check your multifunction switch? High and low beam wiring runs through it. It should be the next stop down stream from the head light switch.
I agree.

Check this old thread:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=headlights
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid me. I havent had the plow on the truck for a while since I put it on the bobcat. Totally forgot about the light switch for the plow lights. The problem was right at my knee for the past 9 months.. Thanks for the help everyone.