1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headgasket failures- what causes these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Partially plugged on the exterior fins, or inside the radiator itself?
Outside looked fine. It was plugged up on the inside, unbeknownst to me.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Outside looked fine. It was plugged up on the inside, unbeknownst to me.
Did you end up replacing the radiator or just have the factory radiator cleaned out? That's weird, how a radiator could plug up on the inside like that. It makes me feel better, then, for filtering my coolant, bypass style.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Did you end up replacing the radiator or just have the factory radiator cleaned out? That's weird, how a radiator could plug up on the inside like that. It makes me feel better, then, for filtering my coolant, bypass style.
Radiators plugged up on the inside was very common before anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors was in widespread use. Plain water will carry rust from the engine and it likes to collect in the small tubes of the radiator.

Radiators used to be repairable for the most part but not so much anymore. Cheaper to just replace them.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
[QUOTE=KRB;3336922]
Originally Posted by torquefan
... I've never believed it to be related to excessive boost pressure, as it is a leak between the coolant passage and the exterior, as opposed to a leak between the combustion chamber and the coolant passage...QUOTE]

That's what mine was doing, just a different spot. I never compared the head gaskets. Maybe same situation, just a different location?
I think that's quite possible.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
The most common leak I've seen is simply an external coolant leak at the front corner under the thermostat housing. I've never believed it to be related to excessive boost pressure, as it is a leak between the coolant passage and the exterior, as opposed to a leak between the combustion chamber and the coolant passage. ...
While that makes sense, I can tell you that before I knew what was causing it, I cleaned my engine and ran it in Park for several hours, including at holding some higher RPMs, trying to see if I could find the leak.

Only after driving it around, experiencing normal load (and boost) conditions, did it finally leak again so I could find it.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 AM
KRB

At the time we had a nice old timey radiator shop over in Lexington. He cleaned it out, pressure tested it, deemed it worthy and painted it for $60.

I drained and replaced the coolant at 90K when I got it and filled with 50/50 low silica stuff. I wasn't very diligent about changing it after that...
Old 11-19-2023, 04:45 AM
KRB

Originally Posted by nascar mark
It’s not always boost that blows the head gaskets, although it can be a combo of things. On the higher mileage engines with factory installed head gasket, the thousands of heat cycles over the years cause the head to move around slightly (expansion & contraction), which causes the compression rings of the head gasket to wear grooves in the head & block. These wear groves can eventually allow even stock cyl pressures to push past the compression ring and cause gasket failure too.
Over heat the engine in any way, excels this wear even faster.
Re-torquing your factory head bolts/gasket by loosening one bolt, half turn loose, then torquing to 132ftlbs (no need to do the factory procedure at this point/age of factory bolts/gasket)..... one bolt at a time is a good idea. Just be careful you don’t stretch your factory bolts. If you feel any stretch at all, stop.
Anybody tried "retorquing the factory head bolts?

About 50,000 miles ago I replaced the head gasket due to a leak on the passenger side at #5/6. Lately I've been missing some coolant and finally see where it's seeping at the more common spot above the thermostat. Bugger!!! With only 50K I don't really need to replace anything else associated with the R&R so I was wondering if I could "cheat" and just retorque. Seems like I remember discussions pro & con but not searched much yet. Maybe what I'm remembering is replacing the bolts with studs while the head is still attached???

This discussion was six years ago, any new thoughts or experiences?

Cheers,
Old 11-21-2023, 04:01 AM
KRB

After some searching and reading old threads, it seems like there is no consensus on retorquing. Some say no, stick to the FSM and some retorque with no issues (while several have snapped bolts). Basically comes down to the type of metal, intended use and time/duty cycles. Science vs experience with some luck added.

This one I found particularly interesting: head retorque??? - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I used all genuine Cummins parts about 10 years ago when I did mine. For the life of me I can't remember if I used new bolts but I think not as I remember measuring mine with the scale provided. Truck is still drivable as it barely weeps so far. Gives me time to think and plan...
Old 11-21-2023, 03:59 PM

You could try some good old fashioned radiator stop leak.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:52 PM
KRB

I'd really only do that as a short term fix on a motor/system I was going to redo or junk.

The XJ I have now hadn't run for a couple years. They parked it on the farm with no brakes and leaking coolant among other things. After replacing the radiator and putting 40K on it I've flushed it for the 3rd time now and still getting brown goop in the over flow. No telling how many quarts of that stuff they dumped in there...

Having said that, my '90 corolla wagon blew a head gasket a couple years ago. It's rusted out badly, has a cracked windshield now and no telling how many miles on the 3rd motor I put in it from a junk yard way back when. I decided to try some sealer since I really had nothing to lose. I forget what I got (still have the green bottle sitting in the back cargo area) but it's what the old farmers around here use on tractors and such. It reacts with heat and O2 to harden I think? Anyway, that stuff worked great and I drove it for a couple years like that waiting for it to rust in two but August a year ago the timing belt broke. Wasn't expecting that as it wasn't enough miles yet but I guess the years got to it first. It's sitting here by the barn as I can't bear to get rid of it. I sure miss driving that thing...
Old 11-21-2023, 09:48 PM

There was a product called Barrs Leaks or something like that. It was the brown goop. A better product IMHO is Alum-A-Seal which is a finely ground aluminum powder with some special properties which may work better on a head Gasket. YMMV.

Edwin