1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getrag Problems

Here whats happening. Every once in a while when going to shift into gear from Neutral it will not go into gear. Most of the time second. Not often but it happens. Usally I am able to get it in to a higher gear and then go back to second. The other problem is in traffic it will pop out of 3rd when letting off the gas and its happening more often now. Its always done that in first but I don't use first that much anyhow. Is this a sign of things to come? Or just normal for the getrag. The prior owner switched to syn oils in everything. I am planning on checking the levels again soon. He did put the extra quart in.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
sounds like it is rebuild/refreshing time. re shim, replace bearings, synchros, shift forks, etc.... do it now you won't be sorry these trannys don't cure themselves but they shouldn't pop out like that and should slide right into gear asssuming you're getting full clutch release
Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
sounds like it is rebuild/refreshing time. re shim, replace bearings, synchros, shift forks, etc.... do it now you won't be sorry these trannys don't cure themselves but they shouldn't pop out like that and should slide right into gear asssuming you're getting full clutch release

my Getrag had a simmiler probem only 5th was and still is the problem of i don't hold my had agenced the shifter when deselerating down a long heal.
the first gear, not ingaging when hot at a stop was fixed when i put a new cluth in it, and replaced the pilot bearing that was totaly wasted!
had to us a center punch on the bore, were the pilot bearing is pressed in, to ruffin it up so that it stayed in there tightly. Added lock tight to the pilot bearing when i was finished and put it all back to gether.......and it fixed it!
allso the rattleing noises in neutral, are gone now too!

I don't no if it was the extra quart of synthetice oil or the pilot bearing, but i have taken it on 2, 400 mile trips and the noise ,and the hard to get into first, have gone.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Mopar, what your experiencing is the synchro's not "meshing" properly.
The synchro gears are a soft brass gear, and this is a common problem( I learned much about this recently!) The synchros may be replaced as needed but if your are going to be in there, its best to replace them all and also do a bearing/seal replacement throughout the tranny.
Parts will run you about $425, and the quote I got for labor on seals/bearings and the synchros here was $450.
I can give you the vendor I got the parts for mine through if you need it.
GOOD LUCK!! the longer you wait to repiar this, the worse it will get!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM

My truck does the same thing in second, or rather when trying to go to second. Mine grinds in third when I have the clutch in but it has never popped out. now my throwout bearing is going out, but I have a Luk pro Gold on the way. Should I get the tranny done now or wait till it gets real bad? Its not much of a hassle right now.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DodgerDoob
My truck does the same thing in second, or rather when trying to go to second. Mine grinds in third when I have the clutch in but it has never popped out. now my throwout bearing is going out, but I have a Luk pro Gold on the way. Should I get the tranny done now or wait till it gets real bad? Its not much of a hassle right now.
No one seam to like the luk here on the first gen's
I have one in mind and it works just find but seams to send a lot of vibration up the peddle!

most rec. that sash or sac.......some one help me spell it right! and may be give a link to one?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I have the Pro Gold, works just peachy. I was very hesitant to switch from the OEM unit since I never wore one out or broke one, plus they lasted 200K + miles.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 AM

There is an ebay vendor selling genuine Sachs clutches for these trucks. Shipped to your door for alittle over $400. A few on TDR ordered them and confirmed they were the real deal. About to order one myself.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DodgerDoob

The Biggest part of the labor charge on mine was pulling and installing the tranny. So if they are gonna have it out anyways, why not???
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 AM

I'll definitely do them at the same time, i was wondering wether to do it now or wait til it gets really bad?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
ditto that about the ebay sachs clutch for 400... great buy. + it includes throwout bearing
Old 08-30-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

South Bend did have a much better deal on the genuine Sachs clutches, than the company on E-Bay.

Best I remember, South Bend had them beat by over a hundred bucks.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 AM

I got a Rally Clutch from Standard Tranms. For $400........