1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Tank Straps

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 02:04 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
My temporary permanent fix was to use the fashionable ratchet strap replacement - just so I can move/use the truck.

Mainly because it wasn't just the strap that rusted out but the anchor point inside the frame rail as well. My plan is to have a fix ready for when I do drop the tank and can just weld in what I need. But I have no idea what that original anchor looked like. I've searched on-line to no avail. Does anyone have a picture or diagram? I think it was in the bottom corner of the frame as opposed to the edge? No scrap yards nearby have any frames that I can compare to. I know I could just fab one up that would "work" but I'd rather not do that and have the strap end up too long or too short etc., plus have the truck down again for another long period of time.

Many thanks,
Old 02-24-2023, 05:46 AM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
I think there are some pretty decent pictures of that cross member in my '92 2wd to 4x4 build thread for Project Covid.

It was in the section with all the pictures of me cleaning and painting the inside frame that normally rusts out behind the fuel tank.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:24 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
My temporary permanent fix was to use the fashionable ratchet strap replacement - just so I can move/use the truck.

Mainly because it wasn't just the strap that rusted out but the anchor point inside the frame rail as well. My plan is to have a fix ready for when I do drop the tank and can just weld in what I need. But I have no idea what that original anchor looked like. I've searched on-line to no avail. Does anyone have a picture or diagram? I think it was in the bottom corner of the frame as opposed to the edge? No scrap yards nearby have any frames that I can compare to. I know I could just fab one up that would "work" but I'd rather not do that and have the strap end up too long or too short etc., plus have the truck down again for another long period of time.

Many thanks,
Geno's has the straps in STAINLESS.
SWEET STAINLESS STEEL

I have an extra set of straps in plain OEM steel which I had blasted and powder coated. The stainless ones are sweet, and I'm happy I bought them. Worth every penny. I did, however, have the both ends of both straps coated with two layers of powder coating, so there would be no direct contact between the stainless and the frame. They're separated by the powder coating, preventing galvanic corrosion.

Frame pics attached

Rear frame after being blasted

Front frame mount before blasting

Old 02-24-2023, 05:57 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
It would be nice if the frames of these trucks had been made of stainless steel.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:32 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I ordered a set and they arrived yesterday. They are really nice. Not checked for fitment yet but they look good!

Thanks for the tip BHD.
NJTman, I already have the straps...just need to be able to hang them...

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I think there are some pretty decent pictures of that cross member in my '92 2wd to 4x4 build thread for Project Covid.

It was in the section with all the pictures of me cleaning and painting the inside frame that normally rusts out behind the fuel tank.
I looked back and found them. Hopefully I can save what's there and weld in some patches. I didn't realize the cross member was a mirror image of itself. BTW, what's the status of the 2wd to 4x4?

Originally Posted by NJTman
Geno's has the straps in STAINLESS.
SWEET STAINLESS STEEL

I have an extra set of straps in plain OEM steel which I had blasted and powder coated. The stainless ones are sweet, and I'm happy I bought them. Worth every penny. I did, however, have the both ends of both straps coated with two layers of powder coating, so there would be no direct contact between the stainless and the frame. They're separated by the powder coating, preventing galvanic corrosion.

Frame pics attached

Rear frame after being blasted

Front frame mount before blasting

I'll check and see if mine are stamped like the one's from Geno's. Didn't realize they had them.

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
It would be nice if the frames of these trucks had been made of stainless steel.
And body too. A Delorean Ram???
Old 02-25-2023, 07:37 AM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
I delivered concrete to a guy in SWFL that had a stainless '57 Nomad.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:57 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
NJTman, I already have the straps...just need to be able to hang them..