1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Pin Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Fuel Pin Swap

I have a THD fuel pin. Tried to swap it out. Damned flathead screw is holding me up. Only one holding the cover on. The rest were bolts. I have hit it with WD40, heated it with a propane torch and next stop is a 30-06. Just kidding.

So the real question is can I just drop it into place? Would it be a good idea to lube it at any point? Most videos on youtube seem to have a bunch of goobers that need to have their camera taken away from them.

Not planning on tweaking the pump at this time. Just a swap. I watched Decent Garage and he didn't touch anything. I don't think he is that mechanically inclined.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Sometimes tapping that screw will loosen it up enough to come out easily.

I just swap the factory pin out for the new pin, slide it in and make sure it travels up and down smoothly, then button it back up. Make sure to align in the cut out in the THD pin the correct way.

After a drive or two I will often pull the pin out and check its travel by the mark it leaves on the pin. Fine tuning it from there by is pretty straight forward.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:21 AM

Tapping has happened multiple times. Wish I had some Aerokroil. Not sure they still make that stuff. I have some Liquid Wrench.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:26 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Put an adjustable wrench or pair of pliers on the flat part of the flat head screw driver, will give you some more leverage, that is if you haven’t worn the flat head slot out yet. If you have make the slot bigger and use a bigger flat head with said trick. Next step is a manual impact driver, very hand tool to have! After that just replace those things with an allen head, save yourself future grief.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoPowa:
nonrev (04-16-2022), thrashingcows (04-17-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MoPowa
Put an adjustable wrench or pair of pliers on the flat part of the flat head screw driver, will give you some more leverage, that is if you haven’t worn the flat head slot out yet. If you have make the slot bigger and use a bigger flat head with said trick. Next step is a manual impact driver, very hand tool to have! After that just replace those things with an allen head, save yourself future grief.
I had already tried the wrench on the screw driver trick.. Bought a impact driver, worthless. Put that adapter on my old CP gun. It flew out!

I removed the fuel screw tamper proof collar and the idle screw equivalent. I used a method not mentioned on a video, Getting the collar off was easy. Screwdriver and my tiny ball peen hammer.

I wasn't going to touch the fuel screw. Not sure if it is required to back it out. I really wanted to leave everything at the stock setting.