1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vannin'

So even the Caravan spring was a little on the stiff side?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Segajeep
So even the Caravan spring was a little on the stiff side?
I think only because it was paired up with the stiff top parabolic spring. With a OEM spring as the top spring, and one or maybe two of the caravan springs...the ride might soften up a bit more.

At least that is how I interpreted what he was saying.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I think only because it was paired up with the stiff top parabolic spring. With a OEM spring as the top spring, and one or maybe two of the caravan springs...the ride might soften up a bit more.

At least that is how I interpreted what he was saying.
Yes, I think that increased flexibility through several springs might be better..... in theory anyway. If it does work better it would sure save people a boat load of cash too. I drove my truck on the highway this morning for the first time with this latest alteration and it did perform very well, I'm pretty confident as this modification didn't lose much lift but improved the ride considerably but time will tell if this will pan out.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM

H'okay, so...

I ordered I set of parabolic leafs for my long over due 93.

Now one of my many questions is, what do I do about this?

Anyone else have this problem? Ive checked the dealership for replacements and of course they are proud of them. Anyone know of some aftermarket replacements? I guess I could have a local metal fab shop make some up but Im still very curious about aftermarket ones.

Also, on this thread I keep reading about cross-over steering. Am I going to need to do this with the new springs or is it just nice to have?

What shocks have the most votes for the best match-up with the new springs?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Jungle Jim

Yes! A vendor on Ramcharger Central. User name is Jungle Jim. He makes an aftermarket Hanger kit. The spring eyes are on their own crossmember. If you like, he can build lift into the spring hanger and shackles.

It's the crossmember in the middle. This is the bunch of parts I used during my 4x4 conversion.

Name:  Picture248_zps6680428d.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  362.9 KB
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
Jungle does make new front leaf spring mounts that are their own crossmember, but I think the come in 2 inch lift and up.
I don't believe he has a stock height option.
He stuff does looks bomber strong.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 AM

He does make a 1" lift and a stock height option (at least post 38 of this thread seems to indicate that: http://ramchargercentral.com/jungles...59/#msg1675859).
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM

Stock

My kit is stock height, he can make them in any height you need. Includes appropriate length shackles too.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Smile The beast has been tamed!

Well, after trying several different configurations, I have finally found what seems to be the right one to achieve ride height, ride quality and strength. While still using the Custom Suspension main leaf, I tried the caravan secondary spring, which was a big improvement over the original custom secondary spring but still proved to be too harsh on uneven surfaces, especially after installing the 2nd gen rear springs. I then took the main leaf from my old rear springs, cut and drilled it to match the secondary spring and got a really nice ride on the road without being bucked back into the softer riding rear springs and lost almost no ride height. After driving with this combination for a few months it was apparent that while the overall ride was not bad, it was still too harsh over uneven road conditions. I couldn't really go with a thinner spring so I just thought that this was the best ride that i could get with the thick Custom Suspension main leaf.

While visiting a junk yard and removing a front sway bar for my truck from a dana 44 gas truck, (I never had one), I took notice of the front spring set up. These trucks have the 3 leaf set up that would not hold up the weight of the diesel for too long. The leafs are of course a progressive leaf design using leafs of various size to achieve strength. What did strike me was the distance between where the secondary spring started and the length of the main leaf, it was about 6-8 inches. On the original heavy duty diesel front suspension the secondary spring begins much closer to the main leaf length and the stack continues getting smaller in similar increments, This is done to achieve the strength needed to carry the 4500lb the front axles are rated for. It occurred to me that with the extra thick main that I am running, the spring mass is already at least doubled at both ends of the main so by stacking any of the secondary springs that I had tried up to that point. I was just increasing that mass and taking away flexibility. I decided to try an approach similar to the light duty set up using the thick main and a shorter secondary spring from my original rear spring stack to see if that was why I was still experiencing a harsh uneven surface jolt from the front of the truck. IT WORKED!, the truck rides very similar to a 2nd gen now with no harsh jolts, it handles much better and it might be my imagination but is sounds quieter on the road. I only lost about a 1/2 inch of ride height which is fine with me being that my truck still sits at about 2" over stock ride height.

I knew that the beast could be tamed through trial and error and hopefully this last modification to the front springs along with the 2nd gen rear spring upgrade will serve me well for years to come. If anyone has any questions about anything that I have done I will try my best to help.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by sevnt300
Well, after trying several different configurations, I have finally found what seems to be the right one to achieve ride height, ride quality and strength. While still using the Custom Suspension main leaf, I tried the caravan secondary spring, which was a big improvement over the original custom secondary spring but still proved to be too harsh on uneven surfaces, especially after installing the 2nd gen rear springs. I then took the main leaf from my old rear springs, cut and drilled it to match the secondary spring and got a really nice ride on the road without being bucked back into the softer riding rear springs and lost almost no ride height. After driving with this combination for a few months it was apparent that while the overall ride was not bad, it was still too harsh over uneven road conditions. I couldn't really go with a thinner spring so I just thought that this was the best ride that i could get with the thick Custom Suspension main leaf.

While visiting a junk yard and removing a front sway bar for my truck from a dana 44 gas truck, (I never had one), I took notice of the front spring set up. These trucks have the 3 leaf set up that would not hold up the weight of the diesel for too long. The leafs are of course a progressive leaf design using leafs of various size to achieve strength. What did strike me was the distance between where the secondary spring started and the length of the main leaf, it was about 6-8 inches. On the original heavy duty diesel front suspension the secondary spring begins much closer to the main leaf length and the stack continues getting smaller in similar increments, This is done to achieve the strength needed to carry the 4500lb the front axles are rated for. It occurred to me that with the extra thick main that I am running, the spring mass is already at least doubled at both ends of the main so by stacking any of the secondary springs that I had tried up to that point. I was just increasing that mass and taking away flexibility. I decided to try an approach similar to the light duty set up using the thick main and a shorter secondary spring from my original rear spring stack to see if that was why I was still experiencing a harsh uneven surface jolt from the front of the truck. IT WORKED!, the truck rides very similar to a 2nd gen now with no harsh jolts, it handles much better and it might be my imagination but is sounds quieter on the road. I only lost about a 1/2 inch of ride height which is fine with me being that my truck still sits at about 2" over stock ride height.

I knew that the beast could be tamed through trial and error and hopefully this last modification to the front springs along with the 2nd gen rear spring upgrade will serve me well for years to come. If anyone has any questions about anything that I have done I will try my best to help.
Wow absolutely amazing work!! I truly appreciate all your hard work, and trial and error modifications.

I am nearing the final stages of my 4wd conversion on my crewcab. I went with the "soft ride" springs too from custom suspension. My front end is about 2" over stock height no as well....even though it was supposed to be "stock" ride height when I ordered them. I'm a little disappointed about this.

I have only driven around the neighborhood, but it doesn't seem to ride any softer then the old OEM spring pack. Will have to see once I get it out on the road driving it regularly.

What leaf from the rear spring pack did you go with? I re-used the OEM 93 spring pack in the 4wd conversion....so I don't have any OEM rear springs to use. Do you think I could use one of the leafs from the old OEM front spring pack?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 PM

I used the leaf that has the holes for the alignment strap in it. if you find yourself doing this modification to the front springs you will lose 2 inches in the ride height but can probably gain a little height back if you add the overload leaf back to the bottom of the pack.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I am thinking on trying a variation of this.
Not the first idea but the one that went into practice.
http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15339
Old 04-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Springy Thingy

Originally Posted by sevnt300

Could you grab a Picture? I was getting ready to put my 7 leaf OEMish fronts in.If I can use one of these leafs in the 2 leaf parabolic pack that would be great.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM

I don't think that it is so important that the exact spring or spring length that I used be used, I just think that moving the secondary inward from the ends of the main leaf is the key. Also keep in mind that the height of the truck was affected (not severely) but still affected by having to use longer shackles to avoid the springs from bumping the frame, even with the stiffer minivan springs. also the spring stack overall thickness will be less but could be made thicker by adding a thick shim to the top similar to what they did with the parabolic set up or by adding an overload spring to the bottom of the stack that would add a little height as well if needed. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Leafer

I've got lots of height, so If I lose abn inch or two, I'll live. I thought of using zero rates too; I don't want to have issues with the center bolt being too long. Whick leaf did you use from the rear pack?

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Upgrade